Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:31 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times

Advertisements

First thing I see on my main news page this morning

House committee approved a resolution that labels the killings of Armenians in Turkey during World War I a "genocide."

I have to wonder some days if the debacle in Iraq is intentional and we prefer it regress into chaos. The timing of this could not come at a worst time considering that Turkey is about to start paramilitary operations in Northern Iraq. Seems that hope of any stabilization in the region is falling deeper into the oubliette and one has to wonder why.

While the resolution may or may not be a just thing to acknowledge, the timing of it seems politically motivated and driven and if that is the case, then shame on the democratic congress for playing politics with the lives of our soldiers... bastids.

Turkey offended, White House alarmed by genocide resolution - CNN.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
Perhaps it does extend past the supporters, but I attempt to refrain from abject generalizations as I have heard that there is no such thing as ALL of anything.
I'll certainly agree that there is no such thing as all of anything. Can't remember where I have heard that before.

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 10-11-2007 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: added link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 09:51 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
First thing I see on my main news page this morning

House committee approved a resolution that labels the killings of Armenians in Turkey during World War I a "genocide."

While the resolution may or may not be a just thing to acknowledge, the timing of it seems politically motivated and driven and if that is the case, then shame on the democratic congress for playing politics with the lives of our soldiers... bastids.

Turkey offended, White House alarmed by genocide resolution - CNN.com
It really does boggle the mind. Talk about cutting off the hand that feeds you, or provides access for supplies to our troops in this case. Either congress has been hitting the crack pipe or they missed their daily dose.

Quote:
I'll certainly agree that there is no such thing as all of anything. Can't remember where I have heard that before.
If memory serves me correctly, it's was a wise mountain swami. Perhaps.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:57 AM

Mookster, I am not sure what is worse, madmen drunk on power in the White House or a Congress that has powers it chooses not to exercise in order to provide the much needed balance.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:02 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
So, Tn, or Mookster, why did the Congress decide now to pass a resolution about Armenia. I have been off line and off the news channels, and can't seem to find anything current.

Any idea(s)?

Old 10-11-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
So, Tn, or Mookster, why did the Congress decide now to pass a resolution about Armenia. I have been off line and off the news channels, and can't seem to find anything current.

Any idea(s)?
I don't have a clue as to why they would choose now to pursue such a course of action considering how tenuous things are along the Northern Iraqi border with Turkey. It smacks of a politics more than genuine concern.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:13 PM

Undoubtedly, politics, but it smacks of stupidity, and I doubt it is stupidity.

Wish I were a fly on the walls of Congress or perhaps the Loo.

Quote:
I don't have a clue as to why they would choose now to pursue such a course of action considering how tenuous things are along the Northern Iraqi border with Turkey. It smacks of a politics more than genuine concern.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Undoubtedly, politics, but it smacks of stupidity, and I doubt it is stupidity.

Wish I were a fly on the walls of Congress or perhaps the Loo.
We are talking about an event that took place during the first world war for pete sake. I don't mean to sound diminutive of this atrocity but to pick now of all times.

Iran is clearly licking its chops at what is taking place in Iraq and I suspect that Saudi Arabia is doing the same, or at least the Kuwaiti's who I am willing to bet will make out well if they do go to a three state system. Turkey it would seem isn't going to even bother to wait, it is going to use its goodwill chips with the US as carte blanc to run rough shod over the north.

Makes ones head spin when you look at events such as these and you say to yourself, how stupid could these people be, when you know these are not stupid people. This leaves that burning ember in the back of the mind that something greater is taking place and you can't quite put your finger on it.

Who knows, maybe I can draw up an argument to push for a resolution condemning the Italians (Romans) for enslaving my Celtic ancestors, there by giving me recourse to sue for reparations, and hopefully score enough cash to just buy Iraq and put an end to this mess.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:33 PM

I know I feel as if I am walking in a dark chamber and it feels like a chamber of horror to think we make these decisions as a country, and they appear to be mindless.

Now about the resolution about the Romans, check your controversial thread on Israel-Palestine, and see one of our members believes in a strict ethnographic definition. Another resolution in the making!

Quote:
We are talking about an event that took place during the first world war for pete sake. I don't mean to sound diminutive of this atrocity but to pick now of all times.

Iran is clearly licking its chops at what is taking place in Iraq and I suspect that Saudi Arabia is doing the same, or at least the Kuwaiti's who I am willing to bet will make out well if they do go to a three state system. Turkey it would seem isn't going to even bother to wait, it is going to use its goodwill chips with the US as carte blanc to run rough shod over the north.

Makes ones head spin when you look at events such as these and you say to yourself, how stupid could these people be, when you know these are not stupid people. This leaves that burning ember in the back of the mind that something greater is taking place and you can't quite put your finger on it.

Who knows, maybe I can draw up an argument to push for a resolution condemning the Italians (Romans) for enslaving my Celtic ancestors, there by giving me recourse to sue for reparations, and hopefully score enough cash to just buy Iraq and put an end to this mess.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
I know I feel as if I am walking in a dark chamber and it feels like a chamber of horror to think we make these decisions as a country, and they appear to be mindless.

Now about the resolution about the Romans, check your controversial thread on Israel-Palestine, and see one of our members believes in a strict ethnographic definition. Another resolution in the making!
I have already rolled my eyes, and removed myself from that thread that I now deeply regret. What on earth was I thinking... I should have consulted with Rocco Martino first. (chuckling)

Old 10-11-2007, 08:46 PM

Also, this hit just came up on a search from Yahoo news.

SIRNAK, Turkey - Turkish warplanes and helicopter gunships attacked suspected positions of Kurdish rebels near Iraq on Wednesday, a possible prelude to a cross-border operation that would likely raise tensions with Washington.

Seems that the kings men may need a whole lot more glue to put humpty dumpty back together again.

Turkey escalates action near Iraq border - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies