Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the definition of marriage?
A natural union of one man and one woman for purposes of procreation and mutual help. 29 20.42%
. A natural union of one man and one woman for purposes of recreational sex. 1 0.70%
. A religious union of one man and one woman for purposes determined by the religion of the spouses. 9 6.34%
Either A, or C, or both. 11 7.75%
A legal union of one man and one woman established for the good of society. 3 2.11%
A legal union of two consenting adults, of any sex, established for any purpose. 54 38.03%
A legal union of two or more consenting adults, of any sex, established for any purpose. 22 15.49%
Whatever the majority of voters in a true democracy decide that it is at any given time. 1 0.70%
Whatever the law decrees that it is at any given time. 12 8.45%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 05:15 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Because they are good for society. A father and a mother can provide what homosexuals cannot, how to grow into a man and a woman that contributes to future generations. Human beings are more than consumers, they are also producers. Gays want to consume the unwanted children of the producers, that is fine, but the producers still rein supreme. They are the ones that carry the direction of this country, by producing and raising our future generations. We are not equal, no laws you force upon society can change that.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:37 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
A father and a mother can provide what homosexuals cannot, how to grow into a man and a woman that contributes to future generations. Human beings are more than consumers, they are also producers. Gays want to consume the unwanted children of the producers, that is fine, but the producers still rein supreme. They are the ones that carry the direction of this country, by producing and raising our future generations. We are not equal, no laws you force upon society can change that.
So the sum total of manhood or womanhood is knowing how to have sex and make babies...

Well hell if that's the criteria, and if we follow the rightwing meme, we should be paying more unwed teenagers to have babies and thuglums who can't keep their johnson in their pants medals.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:37 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,605,527 times
I have some follow-up questions for those who voted for "A legal union of two consenting adults, of any sex, established for any purpose." This is the leading answer with 26 votes at present, or 43 percent.

Why?

Clearly, marriage is not such a legal union in most places, and never has been despite Nero-the-pedophile's bogus "marriage" to a castrated slave-boy. The answer in the poll mentions "consent" and "adults", and Roman law did not codify such marriages, so Nero's "marriage" doesn't qualify anyway.

So why did you make this choice? I get that you think it should be a legal reality, but shoulds are derived from moral reasoning, and morality is derived from either a religious or philosophical system of some kind.

I'm looking for an intelligent, rational foundation for your answer beyond just "that's what I happen to think". Your answer will tell me why, on rational and moral grounds, you believe that consent is required for marriage, that spouses should be adults, that the number should be limited to two, that the sex of spouses is irrelevant, that any purpose at all for this union is sufficient, and that legal standing is required to make a marriage.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 10-30-2012 at 05:59 PM..

Old 10-30-2012, 05:39 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,172 times
Anal pleasures between two men that love each other.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:57 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,514,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Anal pleasures between two men that love each other.
And BJ's and mustache rides...

Old 10-30-2012, 06:21 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
So you chose to be married to a man - and then later chose to be in a different sort of relationship.

What is it I keep hearing about this not being a matter of choice?
Yes, I chose to live a lie to please my family. I denied my true self, to do what was expected of me.
After years of depression, and medication that made me a zombie. I decided to be true to myself. Luckily my ex was very understanding. Now I'm happy, healthy, and at peace with myself.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:27 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
Nobody wants to take on Western Pilgrims questions. How about just one of his questions? Why do you limit marriage to just two? Why not one marriage per household, however many that entails? We want to be inclusive, right? No limits to numbers, age, gender, or preference, everybody wins the prize.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:30 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
Let's eliminate divorce, people can just come and go as they please, leave the judge out of it, nobody should be able to judge what is in their hearts. That way there are no losers.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:31 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Nobody wants to take on Western Pilgrims questions. How about just one of his questions? Why do you limit marriage to just two? Why not one marriage per household, however many that entails? We want to be inclusive, right? No limits to numbers, age, gender, or preference, everybody wins the prize.
For me personally, one spouse is enough. I don't care what others choose to do in their marriage, they have no effect on my marriage.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:32 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
For me personally, one spouse is enough. I don't care what others choose to do in their marriage, they have no effect on my marriage.
I wasn't aware that the state of Mississippi recognized same sex marriages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies