Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the definition of marriage?
A natural union of one man and one woman for purposes of procreation and mutual help. 29 20.42%
. A natural union of one man and one woman for purposes of recreational sex. 1 0.70%
. A religious union of one man and one woman for purposes determined by the religion of the spouses. 9 6.34%
Either A, or C, or both. 11 7.75%
A legal union of one man and one woman established for the good of society. 3 2.11%
A legal union of two consenting adults, of any sex, established for any purpose. 54 38.03%
A legal union of two or more consenting adults, of any sex, established for any purpose. 22 15.49%
Whatever the majority of voters in a true democracy decide that it is at any given time. 1 0.70%
Whatever the law decrees that it is at any given time. 12 8.45%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:42 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Thanks for the vote. Would you mind answering the following ...

Why limit marriage to just two? What's the moral, philosophical, or religious basis for this?

And how do you answer polygamists who will use your own arguments against you, charging you with discrimination and bigotry, claiming that restricting marriage to two persons violates their rights to equal protection of the laws?

Thanks in advance.
Here is your answer:

I reject "the slippery slope" theory.

I am old enough (and I grew up in the South) to remember the Miscegenation Laws (making illegal for a person of one race to marry a person of a different race), the segregation laws, Jim Crow discrimination laws ... and the history of prejudice and discrimination as it was practiced against Blacks, Women, Jews, Hispanics, Gays and Lesbians, and others.

I remember the dire warnings that if Blacks were given equality they would be stealing all the white women from white men, wouldn't be satisfied with equality but would demand superiority, and all that other rubbish. Granting LGBT people the civil right to legally marry the one other person they love and share their life with does not mean it will soon become legal to marry your sister, your dog, or three other people.

--- In all the places where same-sex marriage is legal, those states like Massachusetts, New York, Iowa, Vermont, DC, etc.; and those countries like Canada, Spain, Portugal, Argentina, Israel, the Netherlands, etc. -- where in any of those places have sibling marriage or plural marriage been legalized? Where? Answer: none of them.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:59 PM

488 posts, read 412,479 times
Who would be insensate enough in this age to throwback their lives into the time of needing archaic 'marriage' with another of whatever gender to be accepted as normal?

This is not a bright maneuver if one is claiming equality to a system no longer relevant. Are these same people clamoring for acceptance thru ceremony demanding monarchical serfdom be officially re-instated equally, too?

The 1950's are sixty years gone. Let us all move on now.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:28 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,558,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I am a supporter of Marriage Equality.

In my view a marriage is a recognized relationship between two consenting adults ... an opposite gender couple or a same-sex couple.

I would hate it if I was married and someone says to me they are against my marriage because it goes against their personal religious beliefs.

We are talking about a legal contract between two people who love each other - a CIVIL MARRIAGE ... not a religious wedding ceremony.
What do you care what other people think? Making law, does not change people's ability to think or hold opinions.
Guess what? They will still say it, unless you censor speech, I suppose that's what comes next.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Here is your answer:

I am old enough (and I grew up in the South) to remember the Miscegenation Laws (making illegal for a person of one race to marry a person of a different race), the segregation laws, Jim Crow discrimination laws ... and the history of prejudice and discrimination as it was practiced against Blacks, Women, Jews, Hispanics, Gays and Lesbians, and others.

I remember the dire warnings that if Blacks were given equality they would be stealing all the white women from white men, wouldn't be satisfied with equality but would demand superiority, and all that other rubbish. Granting LGBT people the civil right to legally marry the one other person they love and share their life with does not mean it will soon become legal to marry your sister, your dog, or three other people.

--- In all the places where same-sex marriage is legal, those states like Massachusetts, New York, Iowa, Vermont, DC, etc.; and those countries like Canada, Spain, Portugal, Argentina, Israel, the Netherlands, etc. -- where in any of those places have sibling marriage or plural marriage been legalized? Where? Answer: none of them.
It's coming and who's going to stop it - that would be disciminatory, yes?

Old 10-30-2012, 08:36 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
You can vote. The poll is not about the legal definition, but the definition, period.

It's one thing to say that marriage is such and so.

It's another thing to say that marriage is a legal such and so.

The poll offers both options.
I don't define marriage as anything.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Show me a contract that provides ALL of the protections of a marriage license.

BTW no noose needed, she asked and I said yes.
But you are already talking about marrying someone else in another state, and there's nothing she could do about it. Thus rendering your pretend committment meaningless. Does your partner think bigamy is cool too? If so, why bother?

Old 10-30-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So you are admitting you want to erase our definition, without replacing it with anything meaningful.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:38 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,603,791 times
Quote:
Here is your answer:

What is it with you people and your inability to provide direct answers to the simplest questions?

"I reject the 'slippery slope' theory" is not an answer.

You must have some religious, moral, or philosophical framework for defining marriage the way you do - something deeper (one hopes) than "I just happen to think so". What is it?

As for the slippery slope, we had legalized polygamy right here in the United States until 1862. 150 years is not a long time. Polygamy was outlawed on the moral and religious basis of Christian doctrine as understood by the majority of Americans. Polygamy is legal in approximately fifty nations. We have anywhere from 2.5 to 6 million Muslims in this country, depending on your source, for whom polygamy is a part of their religion. There are only around 4 million homosexuals in the United States, and that figure is likely exaggerated.

You are proposing changes to the law which accommodate homosexuals but discriminate against Muslims. Why do you think it's legitimate to discriminate against Muslims when it comes to marriage? This applies to age as well as number, by the way, as Muslims are permitted to marry very young girls. Please explain what looks to me like blatant discrimination and anti-Muslim bigotry on your part. Thank you.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:42 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,603,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So you have no answer to the question "what is marriage"?

I see.

But I don't believe you. Sorry. I think you must freely use the word, and have some definition in mind when you do.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:45 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
Quote:
You must have some religious, moral, or philosophical framework for defining marriage the way you do - something deeper (one hopes) than "I just happen to think so". What is it?
Since you've already rejected love as the basis for a life long commitment of one person to another, I'm sure that you can comprehend anything deeper than baby making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.