Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2012, 01:34 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,992,626 times

Advertisements

You do that before the storm or what have you hits not after. But the phone will save you at least that is what I keep being told. What will folks do when the batteries run out? I mean they may actually have to step outside and see what is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 01:36 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,654,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Take it up with the OP.

Good sense to leave. That is my point. But the phones didn't tell em too apparently or at least many didn't get that IM.
You are really not making any sense.

The point is that people can find information on their phones in an emergency.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:38 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,654,452 times
Quote:
You do that before the storm or what have you hits not after. But the phone will save you at least that is what I keep being told. What will folks do when the batteries run out? I mean they may actually have to step outside and see what is going on.
It's much easier for me to find out the GWB is closed by looking it up on my phone rather than taking the 1 hour walk to find out.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:40 PM

22,176 posts, read 19,443,966 times
What a fail of a thread.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:41 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,267,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
You DO know that there is no cell service or Internet service in parts of the affected areas?
Key: in parts of.

Pwned again.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:41 PM

13,404 posts, read 9,937,520 times
Quote:
You don't want to step outside and see what's going on. I do believe that's how one of the people died, they stepped into a live puddle.

You do realize that things change during storms? That information that may have been perfectly relevant prior is not necessarily viable once the storm is underway?

I still don't understand why you're so against people looking up information in an emergency. What's actually the problem with that? Are you against people having the radio on too?

Old 10-30-2012, 01:46 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,026,397 times
Quote:
But the phone will save you at least that is what I keep being told.
Are you now trying to argue that a mobile phone isn't an important tool for saving your life? If so that will come as news to hundreds of people who have gotten lost, been injured, set a drift, or otherwise unnoticed but in dire life threatening situations.

Quote:
What will folks do when the batteries run out?
It runs out! You seem to be of the opinion that the number one survival tool that has served humans for hundreds of thousands of years, the brain, ceased to function with the advent of the iPhone, and while Apple might approve of that idea, it ain't happen'in.

Quote:
I mean they may actually have to step outside and see what is going on.
Which is when most folks get killed by stepping on downed power lines, getting crushed by falling trees or being hit by flying debris.

PEOPLE AREN'T STUPID! When the rain, stops, the streets clear (cars driving by) and the wind dies down, they will come out and check out the neighborhood. Mobile phones will never supplant basic curiosity.

GIVE IT UP! I only have your interest at heart because itis embarrassing to watch you embarrass yourself like this.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:48 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,334,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I have a cousin in Chelsea, she is doing the same thing.
As is my extended family in NJ. I can't get through via telephone (cell or land line) but via texts and FB postings, they have assured me that they are all fine.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:49 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,025,530 times
Quote:
You DO know that there is no cell service or Internet service in parts of the affected areas?
You do know that Sandy is Bushs' (I & II) fault, don't you?

Old 10-30-2012, 01:51 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,334,306 times
Quote:
I know you're joking, but for those who don't:

Obama and FEMA should have given out where someone without electricity could get news and alerts on a BATTERY (or one of those wind-up type) AM/FM Radio.

Even if you go to the FEMA website, they don't give you any information.
Back in 1992, when Andrew kind of wiped out a good portion of Miami, all emergency info was broadcasted via TV and radio. None of us had power, but we managed. This is not new with the Obama administration...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies