Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2012, 01:56 PM

23,976 posts, read 15,082,290 times

Advertisements

DH worked for AT&T for 35 years. One of his jobs at very busy times was to watch a big board with lights on it that told them where traffic was highest. If the traffic got too heavy, they would re route it or shut off. During 9-11 people could call out of NYC, but not into it. Within an hour of the 1st. plane, people could not get a signal in NYC, because the towers were down. We could call in, but NYC residents could not get each other. That's how my family knew where everybody was. We relayed messages.

Since then, there are many more towers and phones.

KU, do we need to all in unison tell you that you are the smartest one here? Will that make you happy?

People on the east coast are some of the most savy I have run into. I'm sure they were well prepared before this storm. Nobody needs to be wandering around outside until all utilities are accounted for.

The west side around Lincoln Center and CPW @ 83rd. did not lose electricity.

When my son is in Africa, he quickly learned to keep a motorcycle type battery charged to keep his phone and computer charged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 02:32 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Are you now trying to argue that a mobile phone isn't an important tool for saving your life? If so that will come as news to hundreds of people who have gotten lost, been injured, set a drift, or otherwise unnoticed but in dire life threatening situations.

It runs out! You seem to be of the opinion that the number one survival tool that has served humans for hundreds of thousands of years, the brain, ceased to function with the advent of the iPhone, and while Apple might approve of that idea, it ain't happen'in.

Which is when most folks get killed by stepping on downed power lines, getting crushed by falling trees or being hit by flying debris.

PEOPLE AREN'T STUPID! When the rain, stops, the streets clear (cars driving by) and the wind dies down, they will come out and check out the neighborhood. Mobile phones will never supplant basic curiosity.

GIVE IT UP! I only have your interest at heart because itis embarrassing to watch you embarrass yourself like this.
People aren't stupid? LOL

YOu just said somebody was killed by a downed tree or flying debris and downed power lines. That's pretty damn stupid.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
DH worked for AT&T for 35 years. One of his jobs at very busy times was to watch a big board with lights on it that told them where traffic was highest. If the traffic got too heavy, they would re route it or shut off. During 9-11 people could call out of NYC, but not into it. Within an hour of the 1st. plane, people could not get a signal in NYC, because the towers were down. We could call in, but NYC residents could not get each other. That's how my family knew where everybody was. We relayed messages.

Since then, there are many more towers and phones.

KU, do we need to all in unison tell you that you are the smartest one here? Will that make you happy?

People on the east coast are some of the most savy I have run into. I'm sure they were well prepared before this storm. Nobody needs to be wandering around outside until all utilities are accounted for.

The west side around Lincoln Center and CPW @ 83rd. did not lose electricity.

When my son is in Africa, he quickly learned to keep a motorcycle type battery charged to keep his phone and computer charged.
Your the last folks who need to tell me anything. It appears most are huddled in their homes waiting for the signal from uncle sam to come out.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:38 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,199,237 times
Lightbulb Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
The morons that they are, Obama and FEMA tell people affected by Hurricane Sandy to get their news from the Internet!!

FEMA, W.H. send storm victims to Internet - Steve Friess - POLITICO.com

Exactly!

Old 10-30-2012, 02:59 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post

YOu just said somebody was killed by a downed tree or flying debris and downed power lines. That's pretty damn stupid.
I'm sorry, didn't realize that a caveat had to be added to every general statement.

Allow me to correct myself, "The vast majority of people". There does that make you feel better?

...my mother used to say "never let even the worst kid leave without feeling like they won something."

Old 10-30-2012, 03:02 PM

Hang on a second............I gotta check my phone before I respond. lol

Old 10-30-2012, 03:07 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Hang on a second............I gotta check my phone before I respond. lol
Says the dude who spends every waking hour on the internet.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:08 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
You DO know that there is no cell service or Internet service in parts of the affected areas?
I'm in MA and kept in touch with my family in NJ, PA, NY, and NC via my phone. That's how we passed along news as well. My mom is 72 and she could manage, but she didn't have an AM radio. It's 2012, not 1970.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:09 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Your the last folks who need to tell me anything. It appears most are huddled in their homes waiting for the signal from uncle sam to come out.
As opposed to those who don't listen to Uncle Sam when he tells them to get the hell out?

Old 10-30-2012, 03:18 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies