Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 04:51 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,872,882 times

Advertisements

JFK and Clinton had these two political beliefs and the were both successful Presidents. They were centrists. Why arent any socially liberal/fiscally conservative candidates gaining any traction in this nation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 04:57 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,061,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
JFK and Clinton had these two political beliefs and the were both successful Presidents. They were centrists. Why arent any socially liberal/fiscally conservative candidates gaining any traction in this nation?
Ron Paul fits that for sure

The issues we need to fix regarding what people call social would be 1) getting government out of marriage business and 2) legalize drugs...... everything else is fine...... although

As far as abortions I still believe that they should only be allowed in cases of rape and incest and health of the mother. I would love to see MUCH more responsibility when it comes to sex, but that can only happen with parents doing their job at home, sex education at school and the mindless culture cleaning up alot

I do believe that to a certain extent, fiscal conservatism is relatively selfish

Old 10-30-2012, 06:40 PM

6,514 posts, read 7,509,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus102 View Post

Why are Dems too lazy to work and support their families?
Please, indulge me with facts to back up your assertion.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:08 PM

6,514 posts, read 7,509,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpride1 View Post
Can you give me an example of a current Dem who is fiscally conservative?

The OP had to go back 60 years just to list two.
I'm not the one who made a baseless assumption. A claim is made and facts are necessary to back it up.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:10 PM

9,639 posts, read 5,973,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpride1 View Post
Can you give me an example of a current Dem who is fiscally conservative?

The OP had to go back 60 years just to list two.
Forget when Clinton was in office genius?

Old 10-30-2012, 07:19 PM

4,869 posts, read 10,468,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpride2 View Post
Did you forget Bush? Bush increased welfare didn't he? That is social liberalism. He also did not protect the borders. DEms complained about Bush but he was too liberal.
More fiscal, welfare state liberalism. When people say Social Liberal they mean liberal on things like gay rights, the role of religion in public life, abortion, foreign affairs etc. Basically all of the things that don't really have much to do with collecting and taxes and spending them.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Did you forget Bush? Bush increased welfare didn't he? That is social liberalism. He also did not protect the borders. DEms complained about Bush but he was too liberal.

Now who is the current fiscal conservative? THere is NONE! It is funny that Dems want Rs to move to center but the reality is you complained about the Rs who moved to the middle.

When is Obama going to move to the middle and cut spending? That is the plan right?
Way to delete your post to cover up your utter fail.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I did not delete anything. The mods deleted the post you big dummy.

Can you answer my question? Name a current Dem who is fiscally conservative? Do ANY Dems really support a R who wants to cut spending?
Mods didn't delete it, there was nothing wrong with it, aside from the obvious.

If they deleted it, mine would be edited.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:31 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,273,385 times
Bill Clinton was neither a social liberal nor fiscal conservative. He looks good in hindsight mainly because Bush and Obama were so bad. For all the touting of Clinton's surpluses, he inherited roughly a $4 trillion debt and left behind a roughly $6 trillion debt, in good economic times, when tax reveunes were booming. Hardly a fiscal conservative.

Nor was he really a social liberal. Don't forget that he decided that it was his place as prez to push for school uniforms:
Clinton Will Advise Schools on Uniforms - NYTimes.com

He fired Dick Morris over prostitution, and Joycelyn Elders for a comment about masturbation. His VP Al Gore called for a federal ban on "gang related clothing" such as baggy trousers.
Gore Crime Proposal Urges Photo Licenses for New Handgun Owners

Old 10-30-2012, 09:20 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,323,978 times
Gotcha.

Laissez–faire on everything...

Don't give two craps about who is doing who and spend the least amount of money possible while still doing everything you can to increase your income.

In other words the world will run itself if you just get out of the way and let all forms of evolution take place no matter how ugly it gets in the short and mid term...

Good luck on not getting any Darwn Awards (snickers).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies