Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2020, 09:25 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You're the one missing the point. Use birth control but realize that it might not work so are you still willing to take that chance and kill your own child if it fails? Sorry, I don't get that mindset at all. Why don't you just stop now? We will never agree on this.

That's the other point you are missing. Not everyone equates a fertilized egg or an embryo or an early fetus with a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 07:21 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That's the other point you are missing. Not everyone equates a fertilized egg or an embryo or an early fetus with a child.
It's a developing human being. That can't be denied. Now drop this will you?

Old 10-19-2020, 07:45 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Got it.

Everybody stop having sex, even if you are using contraception!
Quote:
Nope, only if you don't want to get pregnant and fear your birth control might not work.
Oldglory, what you are suggesting really boils down to telling people to have sex very few times in their life: not at all until they are willing to have children, and not at all once they have the 2 or 3 children they desire.

That's not a world I want to live in. Is that how you lived?

Old 10-19-2020, 08:36 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Oldglory, what you are suggesting really boils down to telling people to have sex very few times in their life: not at all until they are willing to have children, and not at all once they have the 2 or 3 children they desire.

That's not a world I want to live in. Is that how you lived?
I'm not telling anyone not to have sex. That's just your way of defending abortion. What I said is have all the sex you want but if you don't want to get pregnant use birth control. If you fear it might fail then think twice about taking the risk then.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:36 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I agree with the first part.

I'm not saying the second part, this:

You have a say in a child. Of course you pay child support if you dont directly support your child.

is not a bad idea...only that there's another way of looking at things.

Imagine a guy and a girl have intercourse and they've both expressed the view that they want it to just be a one time thing...and the girl gets pregnant.

Now, if she doesn't want the kid she has the option of getting an abortion, and he has no more responsibilities in that area. If the guy doesn't want the kid...that's too bad for him. He's got to pay child support anyway.

I think both ways are rather sensible...either having some kind of contract the male parent can agree to in which he gives up all rights as a parent but doesn't have to pay child support...or just keeping things as they are now...which also makes sense because you could make the argument that child support exists to make sure the child has enough support.
I agree there is a lot of gray area. And if only people would do the right thing. I do believe that these situations are rare where pregnancy occurs via a casual hookup and the woman goes on to keep the child and goes through all the crap to squeeze a piddle amount of child support from a guy she in which she may not even know his last name.
Most times child support is paid due to divorce or an established relationship.
people sometimes believe just because you are awarded child support you will actually get it, and most dont realize the amount of court dates (equates to lost time/income) and frustration of dealing with the most inept government department ever created. And once you name Mr. wham bam thank you ma'am he has legal rights to see that child and participate in his/her upbringing.

I get it, I have sons and grandsons, brothers and nephews. But if people will do the right thing it is possible to wave child support and denounce parental rights. IMO if women choose to have and raise a child conceived from a one night stand or casual fling she should be prepared to solely support and care for that child. emphasis on the bold.

We forget that prior to the availability of the pill and other reliable bc and abortion if a woman got pregnant there was no option of a legal safe abortion, no chance of financial support. Her only option was losing her job, being hidden away in a home for unwed mothers, having her child taken from her, and suffering shame and humiliation. The man had two choices marry her or just ignore or deny the situation.
Definitely not equally fair then. Should we have an expectation it would be now.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not true. If the father wanted the baby but the mother aborted, there's an incalculable negative impact to his life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
That's not true. Fathers are sometimes put in jail for not paying high child support even if they have no means to pay. It's about as bad as slavery and debtor's prison.
Again. Fathers are not held responsible for any cost of pregnancy or birth nor do they assume any risks or negative impacts to their life.

Most often its the father who initially wants the abortion. I know this from personal experience and it upheld through statistics /interviews, etc. Regardless your talking about a passing emotion. My statement is that fathers are not held responsible financially nor do they assume any risk or negative impacts.

One does not pay child support for an unborn fetus nor is the father responsible for the medical expenses of the mother.
I do wish the two of you would learn the difference between a fetus (pregnancy) and a baby (parent).
FYI the average child support is <$400/month. In my state based on minimum wage it is ~$215/month depending on parenting time. Not exactly high is it.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:48 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Again. Fathers are not held responsible for any cost of pregnancy or birth nor do they assume any risks or negative impacts to their life.
Patently false, as I've already stated. Child support payments reimburse either partially or in full for the cost of birth.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:51 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
It might not work for anyone who takes it, whether she "fears" it will or not. That's the point.
Anyone who engages in sex that might result in pregnancy is making a conscious decision to accept the fact that pregnancy is a possible outcome. Ignoring that fact is the epitome of ignorance and irresponsibility.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
In what world? That's what part of child support payments is for.
Also not true. If a fetus is not a child, why is it considered a person in regards to fetal homicide laws?
And there it is... "My body, my choice... but YOU pay for my choice."
How old are you. In this world. Site any law stating a man who impregnated a woman is financially liable for any cost of pregnancy and child birth.
Child support is granted by a court when there is actually a born child. A born child with a birth certificate and a DNA test proving paternity.

Do your research on fetal (as in fetus) homicide laws then on personhood laws. Educate yourself. Fetal homicide laws do not consider the fetus a person.

No. both parents are by law expected to pay for.......the actual child. The child that would not exist if the sperm donor kept his fertile sperm to himself. He choseto fertilize the egg. That was his body, his choice.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:00 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
I'm not telling anyone not to have sex. That's just your way of defending abortion. What I said is have all the sex you want but if you don't want to get pregnant use birth control. If you fear it might fail then think twice about taking the risk then.
Imagine for a moment all your life you are responsible for your sperm. In all the decades of your life have you ever forgot a day of medication? Should the consequences of a minor screw up like that be carrying an unwanted pregnancy to term labor deliver and raise a child for 18 year? Because you accidentally forgot a pill? I guess no matter your circumstances you being responsible for your own sperm would go through with pregnancy, because after all you were fallible.

Or you are a young girl not intending to have sex, who wants to be a virgin, so at present you don’t have to take birth control. Go on a date and get date raped. Or raped by a stranger. Do you deserve do you desire now to become a parent as a result of another’s actions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies