Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 08:36 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And Sandy wasn't even a hurricane when it hit the east coast, it was just a strong storm. Imagine if it had been a hurricane.
Again with this? The wind speeds got up to 90mph. There was a report of a wave close to 25 ft. high.
I've experienced "official" hurricanes while living in Brooklyn that did far less damage.
Doesn't really matter what it was called now, does it?

"So a Category One or Two hurricane that hits a densely populated area like Sandy can do more widespread damage than a Category Four or Five would do in a rural area."

Don’t Be Fooled by Hurricane Sandy’s Category One Classification | Country 106.5 WYRK Radio

Hurricane Sandy morphs into winter cyclone as storm’s reach spreads | World | News | National Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Why do you keep on with this? This is your 3rd or 4th post with this "it wasn't even a hurricane" tack.

The reason, AGAIN, that it wasn't called a hurricane any longer was because it lost it's tropical storm status, and it became a cold storm, not because it was downgraded.

The technical name for it became Post Tropical Cyclone Sandy, not Just A Strong Storm Sandy.

It had the winds of an actual Cat 1 and the storm surge of an actual 2 or 3.

Just like Katrina, it's the huge record breaking storm surge that did the damage, not the winds. And in that regard, it was worse than any storm they've ever had.

Exactly. As if the storm cared what anyone called it.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Your Homeowners' policy has an automatic emergency living expense rider. It's a % of your total policy and is payable immediately, upon proof of rent/lease agreement. It supposed to cover the insured for up to 6 months emergency living.

Try research before you judge. It's helpful to know this stuff if you ever have an emergency.
It is helpful to know, however, I'd bet that most of those renting do not carry renters' insurance.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:45 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Many streets are still flooded because Hoboken is below sea level. It floods there every time it rains. I remember reading that it started flooding there Sunday night, before it had started raining, no doubt because the water table started rising with the tides. Pretty much all of the bodies of water in NJ are tidal from the marshes to the rivers.
It will take some time to get things back to "normal."
If that's the case..."normal" should include buying up property and bulldozing the parts of the city below sea level and denying any building permits there. Same with the barrier islands, which are really sandbars. They are exactly that...barriers, just a few feet above sea level. Allowing building, and more importantly, building public infrastructure and offering federal flood insurance on such lands, is one more way of encouraging irresponsible, unsustainable behavior. It's not just there, look at any other area where cities are built on flood plains. Sounds like the management of Hoboken is no brighter than NOLA. Building below sea level, in an area prone to severe storms...just doesn't strike me as a very bright idea.

We have the same issue around here. We have some river bottom property that is attractive land most of the year, yet regularly floods in the spring. People get their flood insurance settlements and rebuild in the same place every few years. Not a smart use of taxpayer money.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It is helpful to know, however, I'd bet that most of those renting do not carry renters' insurance.
If they don't...then they are not very bright, and should be on their own. I always carried renters insurance when I rented. It's not expensive.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:54 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Not everyone can afford to spend the equivalent of a months' rent for a week at a hotel. Not everyone has a relatives' pad in Kentucky where they can crash for the week. Try stepping out of your own experience and understanding the lives of others before ye judge, eh?
I see your point, and most people don't have that kind of money.
But if they made the clear choice to wing it, don't complain about what happened to you because you chose to wing it.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I see your point, and most people don't have that kind of money.
But if they made the clear choice to wing it, don't complain about what happened to you because you chose to wing it.
dammit...I hate it when I agree with chielegirl!

-just kidding. On several issues we do agree.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:02 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Tempers flare in NJ city where thousands stranded - Yahoo! News

After many days of warnings to evacuate and have basic survival supplies on hand to get by for several days...it sounds like there are still people that ignored the warnings. Sounds more like Katrina all the time in terms of people's reactions.
Except in this situation, those who are affected are affluent and had the means to get themselves out of harm's way.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:11 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
dammit...I hate it when I agree with chielegirl!

-just kidding. On several issues we do agree.
We had better stop that. Now!
Always surprises me, too.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
If that's the case..."normal" should include buying up property and bulldozing the parts of the city below sea level and denying any building permits there. Same with the barrier islands, which are really sandbars. They are exactly that...barriers, just a few feet above sea level. Allowing building, and more importantly, building public infrastructure and offering federal flood insurance on such lands, is one more way of encouraging irresponsible, unsustainable behavior. It's not just there, look at any other area where cities are built on flood plains. Sounds like the management of Hoboken is no brighter than NOLA. Building below sea level, in an area prone to severe storms...just doesn't strike me as a very bright idea.

We have the same issue around here. We have some river bottom property that is attractive land most of the year, yet regularly floods in the spring. People get their flood insurance settlements and rebuild in the same place every few years. Not a smart use of taxpayer money.
Well, no, it's not a very bright idea, but, it is a highly desirable area as it is just across the river from Manhattan and the views are spectacular.

Hoboken is an old city and like New Orleans was a very important "gateway" for shipping and, early access to Manhattan. The history is quite interesting.

Hoboken, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

People have been warning about a catastrophic event for years, not just in Hoboken, but also for Weehawken, Edgewater, and other low-lying areas as they are narrow strips of land situated below the cliffs of the Palisades and access/egress is extremely limited.
But, the views of NYC are magnificent, so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies