Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:22 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Not everyone has a homeowners policy. Not everyone owns a home.
Ever hear of renter's insurance! It's very affordable. Last renter policy I had was about $25 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 10:19 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Where's Mittens? Where O'where could my Mittens be? Holding a political fundraiser and campaign stumping?!

Figures when there's actual work to be done the wingers find a way to get out of it.

You think Romney should be out doing Obamas job? Where is Obama - he's in Vegas, he sure is doing "real" work from there isn't he.

I expect you'll hold Obama to the same standard you hold Romney, or are you a typical liberal hypocrite?

Old 11-01-2012, 11:29 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Not everyone has a homeowners policy. Not everyone owns a home.
If you didn't own a home, then you didn't lose a home.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Exactly. As if the storm cared what anyone called it.
All the same -- this was not even a hurricane when it hit our coast -- imagine how much worse if it had been? Obviously a Cat 4 or 5 hurricane would have been far far worse.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:38 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I've been through Cat 4/5 typhoons when I lived in Asia, too.
I'd rather be prepared than unprepared.
I currently live in Europe and still have a wind up radio, candles and a water filter as part of my regular "storm kit".
Basically, people are idiots and whine about it. But I really don't think a majority of US citizens are very smart or can use critical thinking skills. The average IQ in the US is, I believe, 97.

For your second paragraph, I read where there was mandatory evacuation of basement and first floor apartments due to projected flooding. Other people were welcome to evacuate; if my neighbors were being evacuated, do you think I'd stay? No one left those folks stranded, they stranded themselves.
I tried to rep you, but alas I am required to spread it around more. Well said.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Why do you keep on with this? This is your 3rd or 4th post with this "it wasn't even a hurricane" tack.

The reason, AGAIN, that it wasn't called a hurricane any longer was because it lost it's tropical storm status, and it became a cold storm, not because it was downgraded.

The technical name for it became Post Tropical Cyclone Sandy, not Just A Strong Storm Sandy.

It had the winds of an actual Cat 1 and the storm surge of an actual 2 or 3.

Just like Katrina, it's the huge record breaking storm surge that did the damage, not the winds. And in that regard, it was worse than any storm they've ever had.
Because in 1821, there was a hurricane that hit NY, and a hurricane in 1893 came close, in 1938 another Cat 3 hurricane, and several other strong storms since -- so the area is certainly at a risk for hurricanes and any rebuilding should be done with that in mind.

The hurricane in 1938 killed 200 people, the storm in 1955 killed 200 people, the storm in 1972 killed 122 people -- so this year's storm isn't exactly record breaking considering how many more people are packed into that area now than back then.

They need to rebuild for something stronger than a storm or Cat 1 or 2 hurricane.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:14 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
We're watching on the news, people waiting in miles of lines waiting to buy gasoline from stations that have electricity. This situation will never happen in Florida. All gas stations are required to have generators. We learn things from history. That's why after Hurricane Andrew 1992, the building code was revised where houses built after 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006 are built like Fort Knox. Even new Manufactured homes are elevated and can withstand 130 mph wind.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:43 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
We're watching on the news, people waiting in miles of lines waiting to buy gasoline from stations that have electricity. This situation will never happen in Florida. All gas stations are required to have generators. We learn things from history. That's why after Hurricane Andrew 1992, the building code was revised where houses built after 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006 are built like Fort Knox. Even new Manufactured homes are elevated and can withstand 130 mph wind.
There's a difference between storm-prone areas and areas where this is the first time a storm like this has occurred.
Once in a lifetime is different from annual or regular.
I'm sure requirements will be in place in the future for such eventualities.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:32 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
I think there are a few factors at play here. Number one, every storm is so hyped by the media that I think many people have grown numb to the warnings. You can't say every storm is The Worst Ever and expect people to take it seriously when they see nothing happening to them. Number two, I'd wager that many of those who did not evacuate are not high income people. As in many other things in life, evacuations brutally show the differences between lower class and middle/upper class populations. That isn't a political statement, it's a statement of fact.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:38 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Typical Northeast liberals. Whined and complained that nobody was bringing them anything, but when advised that volunteers and emergency personnel were stretch and working 24//7..did one of these whiners offer to raise a finger to help? iTS ALL ABOUT ME wahh, what can you do for me wwaahhhh
Sure they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies