Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 06:42 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,678,883 times

Advertisements

Most Americans are apolitical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 07:51 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
On this site we both think that we're extremist, meaning typically we think of the stereotypical conservative or liberal. Not all conservatives are people who are from Texas who love guns, oppose any and every form of welfare, want a $1 trillion defense budget, and oppose all Chinese made products. Same goes for liberals, we all aren't hippies, who believe everyone deserves a govt handout, nor do all of us smoke marijunana, nor believe the military budge should be $1,000,000 annually, nor do we believe anyone should be paying 70% on taxes if they happen to be wealthy, nor do we worship Obama (though I've seen some who don't disagree with anything he does). So lets attempt to make a bit of peace here, neither of us are perfect, and hopefully most of us aren't conservative or liberal extremists that we seem to imply about each other especially on this site.

So peace? Could that work? Refrain from calling someone who doesn't agree with your own personal beliefs a neocon, *******, etc.
IMO what you're complaining about is the rise of down-and-dirty, no-holds-barred, Southern Style political campaigning, first mainstreamed by Lee Atwater in Reagan's campaign (which BTW, was launched in Mississippi with Reagan's famous States Rights speech). Then that TX good old boy, Karl Rove took it the rest of the distance, with the infamous Culture Wars and vicious techniques like "Swiftboating".

To anyone familiar with the South, it's all very familiar, 'cuz its basically political fightin', redneck-style (which not coincidentally now makes up most of the current GOP 'base')! And meanwhile, we lib-ruls continue to stubbornly insist that it should be all about "reason" and "facts"... ha!!

Old 11-01-2012, 07:57 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
On this site we both think that we're extremist, meaning typically we think of the stereotypical conservative or liberal. Not all conservatives are people who are from Texas who love guns, oppose any and every form of welfare, want a $1 trillion defense budget, and oppose all Chinese made products. Same goes for liberals, we all aren't hippies, who believe everyone deserves a govt handout, nor do all of us smoke marijunana, nor believe the military budge should be $1,000,000 annually, nor do we believe anyone should be paying 70% on taxes if they happen to be wealthy, nor do we worship Obama (though I've seen some who don't disagree with anything he does). So lets attempt to make a bit of peace here, neither of us are perfect, and hopefully most of us aren't conservative or liberal extremists that we seem to imply about each other especially on this site.

So peace? Could that work? Refrain from calling someone who doesn't agree with your own personal beliefs a neocon, *******, etc.

Nice thought, though, but, no, it won't happen.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:34 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The labelling started from a certain set of talk show hosts and has grown to permeate and poison all political discourse in this country. The "if you don't agree with me on this talking point, you're automatically one of them" mentality, where all "liberals" have a certain set of beliefs they subscribe to, and "conservatives" all believing the opposite, with no grey area.
Most of the world is grey, whether people on here want to believe it or not.
True.

MadCow. Mr. Ed. Chrissy Tingle. Keith What'sHisName.

Those people are the exploding heads with the foul mouths and they're helped along by their god, Hussein "Romnesia" 0bama.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:46 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
IMO what you're complaining about is the rise of down-and-dirty, no-holds-barred, Southern Style political campaigning, first mainstreamed by Lee Atwater in Reagan's campaign (which BTW, was launched in Mississippi with Reagan's famous States Rights speech). Then that TX good old boy, Karl Rove took it the rest of the distance, with the infamous Culture Wars and vicious techniques like "Swiftboating".

To anyone familiar with the South, it's all very familiar, 'cuz its basically political fightin', redneck-style (which not coincidentally now makes up most of the current GOP 'base')! And meanwhile, we lib-ruls continue to stubbornly insist that it should be all about "reason" and "facts"... ha!!

As long as you have ignorance like this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I don't think that you will accomplish what you desire. Ignorance like this is keeping people apart.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:23 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post

Wonder why Obama would stray from this??

Old 11-01-2012, 09:46 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
FWIW, I have never called anyone a "*******" or a "neocon" and I think that most people who post on this forum are reasonable people, but that there are probably 10-15 crazy folks who post like maniacs and get people riled up in regards to the name calling along with the "extremist" view of liberals and conservatives. Reasonable posts usually get overlooked but there are many of them on the forum.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:06 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
this place makes me argue far further to the right than I live my life... LOL. Mostly I’m here for the mental exercise.

I expect most folks here are doing the same.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:21 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,651 times
The animosity will calm a bit once the election is over but ultimately this is an anonymous forum. This type of atmosphere BREEDS internet tough guys who would cower if faced with a real human to argue with.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:35 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
True.

MadCow. Mr. Ed. Chrissy Tingle. Keith What'sHisName.

Those people are the exploding heads with the foul mouths and they're helped along by their god, Hussein "Romnesia" 0bama.
Actually, I believe Bill O'Reilly on Oprah was the first time I directly heard a pundit/entertainer directly label people based on a belief. He claimed if you believed A on one issue, B on the next, or C on something else, you were one of his "culture warriors" and if you believed anything else, you were the opposite (can't remember the term he used). From there, it was picked up by Beck, Olbermann, all FOX & MSNBC pundits, most radio talk show hosts, and even quite a few mainstream op-ed writers.
I suspect you knew that already though, and are just trying to set the tone for your particular "side".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies