Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Shall the US ban militant religious groups/atheism?
YES, BAN 11 12.50%
NO 77 87.50%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 06:46 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,811,855 times

Advertisements

One would only hope the extremists would be banned. Along with hate speech. But that would require the common sense that other countries have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
First, I've never advocated banning any religion. Let's make that clear from the start. I was just responding to someone mentioning the Crusades, as if that's relevant today. It's not relevant because Christians have moved beyond committing heinous acts in the name of "God." It's not happening anymore, and hasn't been happening for centuries. Muslims are not all terrorists, but considering that a very large group of them believe in this day and age that they should kill all apostates and have everyone convert or be killed, that's a problem of TODAY. It's relevant NOW.

Please enlighten me on Christians of TODAY causing terror or instilling fear in the hearts and minds of others. How? By wanting to end abortion, a practice they consider murder? By wanting marriage to remain as it has been for thousands of years?
Christian terrorism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anti-abortion violence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eric Rudolph - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, here's a some to start you off...

Old 06-09-2013, 06:58 PM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
One would only hope the extremists would be banned. Along with hate speech. But that would require the common sense that other countries have.
I always find it amazing when people from other countries have trouble processing what the US means by "freedom of speech" and "freedom of religion". It's an ugly process but it works.

Westboro has had its 15 minutes of fame.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I always find it amazing when people from other countries have trouble processing what the US means by "freedom of speech" and "freedom of religion". It's an ugly process but it works.

Westboro has had its 15 minutes of fame.
Oh I get it, I just think there should be limitations, much like screaming fire in a theatre. But enjoy your extremist groups.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:52 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
An extremist group of terrorists who happen to be Muslim want this to happen. You don't see the Muslim population of Minnesota raising up and doing any of these things do you? It's not my fault you can't differentiate between terrorists who happen to be Muslim and Muslims who happen to be terrorists. The former (the Muslims who happen to be terrorists) are far outnumbered by the latter (terrorists who happen to be Muslim).

Huge, HUGE difference between the two.

Westboros Baptist Church.
I'm not sure if you're joking, an anti-Christian/ anti-Semitic bigot, or really that ill-informed.

Double standard much?

McVeigh was anti-government. Really nothing more. If you insinuate otherwise yet excuse the Jihadists, I can't take you seriously (nor should anyone else.)

Also, Westboro is a scam of mostly lawyers under the legal guise of a church for financial reasons. Research it. Even if not... who have they killed or blown limbs off of?

Unbelievable...

Old 06-09-2013, 10:15 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I'm not sure if you're joking, an anti-Christian/ anti-Semitic bigot, or really that ill-informed.
None of the above.

Quote:
Double standard much?
Not really.

Quote:
Also, Westboro is a scam of mostly lawyers under the legal guise of a church for financial reasons. Research it. Even if not... who have they killed or blown limbs off of?

Unbelievable...
So you're saying they're not a violent group that commits crimes against Americans? Supporters have theirs have gone out and perpetrated crimes. You're a fool if you think otherwise.

All I'm saying is that people automatically write Muslims off as terrorists, which is extremely bigoted and ignorant. That's just the same as if I sat here and called all Christians pedophiles -we both know for a fact that's not true.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:30 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Atheism has no dogma or religious creed. It's merely a lack of belief. You are an atheist regarding thousands of gods. Does that make you a genocidal dictator?

People like Stalin, Mao, etc. committed crimes based on political ideology, not religious.

Norway is 80% atheist/non-religious. Only 4% attend church. It's also the happiest nation, with some of the highest quality of living on Earth, and quite wealthy.

By your logic, Norway should be an evil bastion of authoritarian sociopaths.

Arguably one of the silliest things I've ever heard.

Of course Atheists are dogmatic.

"characterized by or given to the expression of opinions very strongly or positively as if they were facts"

Dogmatic - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

If they weren't dogmatic, they'd be Agnostics.

It is these same Agnostics who lack belief.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:32 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Only the Muslims. When radical Jews and Christians commit terrorist attacks and mass murder in the name of their religion then I'd agree. Until then, only Muslims.
So radical Christians commiting mass murder in the name of politics is Ok in your book?

Old 06-09-2013, 10:50 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
...but the Christians did commit heinous acts in the name of "god", so it's ludicrous to think that only the Muslims ought to be banned because of what a select few of their religion did. There's a difference between those who perpetrated 9/11 and the rest of the Muslim people:

The people responsible were terrorists who happen to be Muslim, not Muslim who happened to be terrorists.

Huge difference.

And we if take the dictionary definition and none of the crap that the government is sending out to us, a terrorist is someone who causes terror and instills fear into the hearts and minds of others.

Guess who's doing that the most today?

Can someone who calls himself a Christian (Christ-like) find examples in Christ's behavior to justify heinous acts?

As for terrorists, with precious few exceptions, they continue to happen to be Muslims.

The dots are there.

You just have to connect them.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:55 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Can someone who calls himself a Christian (Christ-like) find examples in Christ's behavior to justify heinous acts?

As for terrorists, with precious few exceptions, they continue to happen to be Muslims.

The dots are there.

You just have to connect them.
YOu've have to be ignorant of politics and world events to think that all terrorrists are Muslims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies