Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 10:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I'll say this: out of how many people who DID prepare; how many were caught with their pants down? People gotta remember there are MILLIONS of people in the NYC and NJ areas. Also things there were pretty "good" for 3 days: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. It's now Thursday.
What happens after 7 days or 8 days ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 10:13 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Cities at sea level. Not real smart on the ol survival meter.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:48 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Have we actually created a society of people who cannot take care of themsleves? They are so dependent on the gov tit, that three or four days of expectation of self reliance puts them into a tail spin? This is what comes of entitlement programs where the only qualification for benefits is begging the loudest. We created these people who cannot and will not take care of themselves...or their children...or their parents...or even their pets.

I suggest a good dose of Social Dwarwinism...survival of the fittest. You can't take care of yourself? No food for idiots.
We have indeed created a segment of society that is utterly dependent upon the system functioning as it always has. Keep in mind that these people know of no other environment. They may be very successful and highly paid, but that is the only environment they know. If you take them out of that environment you are taking them out of their element and putting them someplace foreign. The same could be said for anyone born and raised in just a single environment. Someone who has lived their entire lives in a dry-cabin, off the grid, in remote Alaska is going to be completely lost in a place like Manhattan.

You cannot have cities without support systems, and that includes transportation. If those support systems crumble, then city critters are in dire peril indeed. That is why all the relief money goes to cities before rural areas after a natural disaster. Cities cannot survive without certain services and utilities already in place. There are simply too many people packed into one area to be able to "live off the land," as someone in a more rural area might be able to accomplish.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:19 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Sigh. You are right. What can we expect from city folk who can't even make their own coffee, even when there is power? Shucks....I was in NYC, one time...saw seven Starbucks within two blocks...not counting Dunkin Donuts either.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:26 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Staten Island was not getting the media attention, now that it is, The National Guard and Red Cross are there and
Janet Napolitano is going there tomorrow.

I am sure that the next time an order is issued to evacuate, people will in fact, evacuate. So sad about the two small children that were found drowned today.

This is the wake up call that low lying areas needed, but sadly, it will take quite awhile to rebound from this.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:31 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Staten Island was not getting the media attention, now that it is, The National Guard and Red Cross are there and
Janet Napolitano is going there tomorrow.

I am sure that the next time an order is issued to evacuate, people will in fact, evacuate. So sad about the two small children that were found drowned today.

This is the wake up call that low lying areas needed, but sadly, it will take quite awhile to rebound from this.
Thank you for the well stated post.
People who refuse to evacuate not only risk themselves but the lives of rescue workers sent to save them.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:33 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
I never understand the mindset of a person who lives right on the coast when a hurricane is coming and storm surge with it who decides to "ride it out". It just makes absolutely no sense at all. Then like you say others have to risk their lives to come save em. Now some poor guy who lives inland and sticks his head out after to see what is going on and has a tree fall on him is just plain bad luck. But the others???

Old 11-02-2012, 12:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
If you live in an apartment, where are you supposed to store gas cans? BTW, did you see those 80 homes get destroyed by that fire? What if everyone stored 20 gallons of gasoline?

At least 80 flooded houses destroyed by NYC fire
The storm only hit a few days ago -- why didn't they just fill their gas tanks and it should have lasted them at least a week -- especially because they weren't driving around for a couple days when the storm hit and then with the flooding.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I feel terrible for those people. They must not be used to preparing for a hurricane. It would have been better to fill up before and stock up before. Living near the gulf coast gives you a lot of experience.
They should be though -- if they knew anything about the history of that region, they'd know there have been some pretty bad hurricanes and storms hit -- back in 1821, 1893, 1938, 1954, 1960, 1972 -- why would they think a Cat 3 or 4 hurricane just could never show up again?

Yet they become more and more packed into problem areas and more and more helpless.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:39 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Thank you for the well stated post.
People who refuse to evacuate not only risk themselves but the lives of rescue workers sent to save them.
The problem was that people thought that since hurricane Irene was overstated before it hit and assumed that this one was too. It is surreal to me because I was staying with my elderly father and it is a neighborhood that is a ten minute drive to Brighton and Coney Island beaches, fiteen minutes to Rockaway and Breezy Point beaches, a half hour drive to Staten Island over the Verrazano Bridge and less than a half hour to downtown Manahattan. We never lost power, no trees down that I have seen and no houses damaged that I have seen. About two miles away, a couple that was walking their dog was found crushed under a tree. Sad but WTH were they thinking? So, lucky for us, this particular area was insulated, being just far enough away from the shore. I'm always amazed that NYC insists on building these glass skyscrapers considering the fact that NYC has an underground fault line that has the potential to shake the city to its core. Scary stuff.

I'm almost feeling guilty that this area is so unscathed as compared to so many other parts of the city, but I know how lucky we really are. I smelled smoke for about 3-4 hours after the storm made landfall and then found out on the news the next morning that 80 houses burnt down in Breezy Point and the wind was carrying it in our direction. Those were gorgeous homes and luckily those homeowners were smart enough to evacute and no one was hurt. I'm still shocked everytime I watch the news and see just how bad this was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies