Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 05:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,917,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I bet that same union made sure truckers were paid fairly, right?
Not freekin' hardly. Not all equal truckers are considered or treated as equal by the Unions. One example, you'd think someone who hauls hazmat liquids that are very dangerous and could kill anyone within a block of the rig should something go wrong would be paid more than say, someone who hauls loaves of bread wouldn't you?
You'd think that someone who has 8000 gallons of gas in a big tank right behind them would be paid more than the guys who pick up your garbage wouldn't you?
Well think again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 06:14 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,211,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
There's the rub, the false belief that being paid anything is a "right". Go read the constitution and you'll see nowhere in it does it mention the right to be paid a "decent,livable wage" whatever that is.
Moreover, who decides what's "decent and livable" and how much is that? $50k? $60k? $100k?
I'm sorry but I don't believe in slave labor. So, yes I do believe being paid fairly is a right. We've been over this before. I believe a decent and livable wage is one that allows people to stay out of poverty, off assistance and have healthcare, housing, food, access to education.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:15 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,211,209 times
Quote:
Not freekin' hardly. Not all equal truckers are considered or treated as equal by the Unions. One example, you'd think someone who hauls hazmat liquids that are very dangerous and could kill anyone within a block of the rig should something go wrong would be paid more than say, someone who hauls loaves of bread wouldn't you?
You'd think that someone who has 8000 gallons of gas in a big tank right behind them would be paid more than the guys who pick up your garbage wouldn't you?
Well think again.
You'll have to explain to me how this relates to the quoted post. I am comparing apples to apples. The person I replied to said he is paid the same as his union counterparts.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:37 AM

7,473 posts, read 3,992,428 times
Quote:
There's the rub, the false belief that being paid anything is a "right". Go read the constitution and you'll see nowhere in it does it mention the right to be paid a "decent,livable wage" whatever that is.
Moreover, who decides what's "decent and livable" and how much is that? $50k? $60k? $100k?

Really??? guess you never heard of" Unalienable rights."........ Life,liberty,and the pursuit of happiness......

Old 11-05-2012, 07:40 AM

25,786 posts, read 16,422,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm sorry but I don't believe in slave labor. So, yes I do believe being paid fairly is a right. We've been over this before. I believe a decent and livable wage is one that allows people to stay out of poverty, off assistance and have healthcare, housing, food, access to education.
But you want your best people working on the elec system. People you can count on that will make sure the job is done right. Fly by night people burn houses down and kill people because they don't care. If they lose their non union electrician job they will just get another one from some other company that doesn't care about their customers enough to hire the best.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:43 AM

25,786 posts, read 16,422,799 times
About 15 years ago I responded to a house fire in an affluent suburb to disconnect the elec per the Fire Dept. When I arrived I reported to the dispatcher that it looked like two houses burned down. Nope, it was one house, that's how big it was.

They hired a non-union electrician to replace a recessed light in the basement that morning. That night they didn't have a house. But they saved like $50 probably so at least they had that.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:57 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,946,769 times
So this story proves to be complete horse pucky and not a peep from the professionally outraged who jumped all over it. No retraction, no "my bad, nothing.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,917,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Really??? guess you never heard of" Unalienable rights."........ Life,liberty,and the pursuit of happiness......
Yep sure have and where in those does it say you have the "right to be paid fairly" as used in the original context and by whose standards is "fairly" to be judged?
By the right to happiness maybe, or would it be life?
To make the point, it does not say "life,liberty,fair pay and the pursuit of happiness. Wouldn't that kind of been the idea behind the minimum wage law?

Old 11-05-2012, 09:55 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,635,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
So this story proves to be complete horse pucky and not a peep from the professionally outraged who jumped all over it. No retraction, no "my bad, nothing.
Never is.
They just move on to the next faux outrage.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:59 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,959,708 times
So let me get this straight, the market is ok for companies but it isn't ok for workers.

Contracts are sacrosanct for companies but not for labor.

You have a right to sell your products for whatever the market will bare but workers don't.

Interesting set of rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies