Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 12:16 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times

Advertisements

Hundreds of Alabama Power employees working to restore power in New Jersey | al.com

Several hundred Alabama Power Co. workers are putting in 16-hour days helping to restore power in southern New Jersey, with more crews expected to arrive tonight, the head of the storm response team said today.

The Alabama crews have been very warmly received, Lindsay said. Crews in one community were summoned by a restaurant owner who opened her restaurant especially for them. Another crew encountered a woman who had worked as a volunteer on the Gulf Coast in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 12:19 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
It's just as easy to claim that ALL non-union workers don't know what they are doing and aren't trained properly!
That doesn't really make any sense.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:21 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
That doesn't really make any sense.
Neither does your claim that experienced, trained linemen without an IBEW card automatically don't know what they're doing.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:23 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
That's funny, considering there are TONS of out of state crews here, including ones from AL.
So, since some of them didn't get told to leave, that means none of them got told to leave?

Old 11-02-2012, 12:26 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
No doubt a lot of union guys are doing the right thing, and are to be commended.

And a few didn't.

Don't let that stop you from damning them all, as you have in your posts.
Great politicizing if that's all you've got.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:29 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Neither does your claim that experienced, trained linemen without an IBEW card automatically don't know what they're doing.
Did you not read what I said? I didn't say that at all. All I said is that without that Journeyman card I have no way of knowing the level of their training. Am I supposed to just trust some little REA training program from AL? NO and my union card says I don't have to. If I was out there I would be a foreman and no way in hell I would allow my guys to work with non union, un proven workers.

The IBEW Journeyman card with their name and ID to go along with it gives me the justification to trust people I do not know to work with my guys on high voltage lines.

They can let these guys restring the lines to the houses and rebuild the masts ect, but they should not be out working on the main lines where our guys will be.

Again, I'm NOT ripping the non union guys. I just cannot let my guys work with them because they are unproven.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:44 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
So only union guys can hang wires is what your saying. Check.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:50 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Don't let that stop you from damning them all, as you have in your posts.
Great politicizing if that's all you've got.
And you would never do that.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:00 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Obama said he was going to cut through the Red Tape on this one. Obama said he wouldn't accept "why it couldn't be done".

These union bastards are the people that Obama supports and believes in. And look at what we get from them.

Why doesn't our "Leader" force the unions to get to work - wherever he orders them to work?
And non-union workers should be able to go wherever they are needed.

Oh yeah, Obama's in Vegas again.

This is the crap the Chris Christie has to deal with on a daily basis.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:08 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
From my experience with FEMA disasters, conflicts like this usually have more to do with the crews trying to monopolize things to maximize the amount of time they are going to get out of the disaster.
As a rule they get paid double time for all the time they spend working and they want the job to last as long as possible, meaning they have a vested interest in trying to limit how many crews they bring in. We are talking big money here, so there is a lot of incentive to behave badly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies