Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2012, 10:39 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,821,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
1 big reason there's LESS racism against Blacks in 2012 is because many of the worst white racists alive during Jim Crow ARE dying off.
What makes you think that it's morally acceptable to allow decent African-Americans to suffer state sponsored bigotry (through the lack of a decent anti-discrimination in employment law) while they wait for bigots to die?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 10:40 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,529,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
If peoples in other parts of the world engage in murder and mayhem it's because of cultural proclivities not because of a lack of welfare benefits from washington. It's pretty much the same here as far as I'm concerned.

I mentioned I'm from the ozarks. My grandparents farmed and hunted. By the time I came along my parents left those hills and went first north and then west looking for work. Wherever they went they found work, paid the rent, put clothes on our backs, and managed to feed us for boot.

I simply don't agree with your premis.
Like I said before, the culture exists, whether or not welfare exists. My point was that cutting off welfare won't kill that culture off.

Your story sounds similar to the Great Migration. Black people were leaving rural areas to find jobs in Northern areas.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:56 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,168,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Like I said before, the culture exists, whether or not welfare exists. My point was that cutting off welfare won't kill that culture off.

Your story sounds similar to the Great Migration. Black people were leaving rural areas to find jobs in Northern areas.
Read the grapes of wrath. It wasn't just the blacks that left the south.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:06 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,719,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_a_lawyer View Post
A thread about hatred and division and just look at what people are posting...

It doesn't matter who you vote for. Both parties have been bought out by special interests with their own agendas. Why can't you people get that?

Gary Johnson is not bought out by special interests, he cares about the 100% equally, no hate. He's for a more united USA, not by force but by allowing people to do what they want, as long as they are not doing anything that harms or threatens another person or their property. Equal rights & respect for all.

If he gets 5% this time, he gets big money from govt for 2016 campaign.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:38 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,915,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have to ask this: Since when has there not been division and hatred in the USA?

I have to ask, why are we all stuck together in this country? Do people in Alabama share anything remotely with the people of Philadelphia? This country just becomes more bizarre by the day. Don't we all think it high time to seriously think about the inevitable break up of the USA, and figure out a way to manage it with the least amount of chaos?

Old 11-04-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I have to ask, why are we all stuck together in this country? Do people in Alabama share anything remotely with the people of Philadelphia? This country just becomes more bizarre by the day. Don't we all think it high time to seriously think about the inevitable break up of the USA, and figure out a way to manage it with the least amount of chaos?
Amen.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:13 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,097,391 times
Quote:
More and more people share these same sentiments, including myself. Individuals can no longer accept Washington bureaucrats micromanaging their lives in Oregon or New Hampshire.

Local control is needed, and European peoples are laying the blueprint as we speak: Flanders, Basque Country, Bavaria, Venice, etc. It is time to dissolve these empires once and for all. Local or regional control for the people and by the people, it's the only way.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
Quote:
Last time the union tried to break up we ended up at war..the Civil War.
The Federal government will never allow a break up.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Last time the union tried to break up we ended up at war..the Civil War.
The Federal government will never allow a break up.
It isn't a question of whether or not they will allow it. It's a question of whether or not they can prevent it when the time comes. The demographic, social, and religious forces at work even now will inexoraby pull us apart.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:31 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,891,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
What makes you think that it's morally acceptable to allow decent African-Americans to suffer state sponsored bigotry (through the lack of a decent anti-discrimination in employment law) while they wait for bigots to die?
What are you talking about? It's usually ILLEGAL to discriminate by race in 2012 although affirmative action is Jim Crow. Sheesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies