Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-08-2013, 09:09 AM
 
937 posts, read 1,136,083 times
Reputation: 558

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinycampbell View Post
I hate when people assume ALL blacks are poor or uneducated and that the black woman who marries a white man must be marrying 'up' when in reality wm/bw couples tend to be educated and on an equal financial status than both wm/ww and bm/ww couples. Many black woman won't deal with a broke white guy (why do that when they could deal with a broke black one) and many educated white men would probably only be interested in an educated black woman. In fact, its been said that poor whites and poor blacks are more segregated than ones who are middle/upper class.
I agree, the research actually indicates that wm-bw couples are more likely (than any other pairing) to be on par economically.

 
Old 06-08-2013, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Minnysoda
10,659 posts, read 10,740,285 times
Reputation: 6745
You know what Bullworth says.....
 
Old 06-08-2013, 09:39 AM
 
1,300 posts, read 963,198 times
Reputation: 2391
Sounds like this should be in the Relationships forum.

And the sample size for this particular coupling is SO miniscule compared to all of the others that it is really difficult to compare and deduce reasons for why this is.
I guess given the rarity of this coupling and the societal diffculties, it is more likely that should they actually reach the marriage stage it is the "real thing".
 
Old 06-08-2013, 09:55 AM
 
47,525 posts, read 69,762,627 times
Reputation: 22474
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I don't know that "everyone knows" that answer.

I think the answer comes from two main factors:

Most divorces are initiated by women. The white husband is less likely to divorce because men are less likely to divorce in general.

Women tend to marry up. And most blacks are less well off than most whites. So the black wife is less likely to divorce because it is more likely that the white husband represents a more secure life than she had coming likely from a single parent lower class household given that 70%+ of black births are to single mothers.

These factors combine to make it unsurprising that a white husband and black wife would create a stable marriage. I don't think it has to do with how society views the worth of different demographics. I think it has to do with how humans have evolved in mating patterns and the socioeconomic trends between the races.
That's not true. Black women who marry white men tend to be quite educated and they aren't single mothers but women who look for a spouse before starting a family.
 
Old 06-08-2013, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Old Bellevue, WA
18,782 posts, read 17,384,118 times
Reputation: 7990
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
WM/BW have lower divorce rates because we have to put up with more stigma's and face more prejudice than any other coupling in the USA (part of the reason they are so rare). So by the time WM/BW get to the marriage stage the relationship is very solid.
There could be something to that.

Here is my theory on it: both white males and black females are treated as beasts of burden, if you will.

White males are expected to build the bridges, fight the wars, and invent the inventions, all while paying for every other purportedly helpless, incapable segment who supposedly are incapable of fending for self.

Likewise black females are expected to get the education, get the job, bear and raise the children, etc, Contrast this to society's expectations for black males.

One key to success in marriage is said to be willing to sacrifice, to accede personal wants for shared wants. So if you have two people who both have been treated as beasts of burden get together, they are much better prepared to make it work. Plus they are probably so happy to finally find someone who is willing to share the burden instead of piling it on, that they are not going to leave.
 
Old 06-08-2013, 10:32 AM
 
56,988 posts, read 35,252,123 times
Reputation: 18824
Big deal.

Divorce rates in this country are still atrocious regardless of racial pairing. I'm sure that if the numbers of wm/bf relationships go way up, that divorce rate would skyrocket. The sampling size is too tiny.

In any case, there are tons of single white doods and black chicks. Let 'em all hook up.
 
Old 06-08-2013, 10:35 AM
 
11,086 posts, read 8,555,991 times
Reputation: 6392
How many of these couples are there in America? Not many.
 
Old 06-08-2013, 10:35 AM
 
56,988 posts, read 35,252,123 times
Reputation: 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
There could be something to that.

Here is my theory on it: both white males and black females are treated as beasts of burden, if you will.

White males are expected to build the bridges, fight the wars, and invent the inventions, all while paying for every other purportedly helpless, incapable segment who supposedly are incapable of fending for self.

Likewise black females are expected to get the education, get the job, bear and raise the children, etc, Contrast this to society's expectations for black males.

One key to success in marriage is said to be willing to sacrifice, to accede personal wants for shared wants. So if you have two people who both have been treated as beasts of burden get together, they are much better prepared to make it work. Plus they are probably so happy to finally find someone who is willing to share the burden instead of piling it on, that they are not going to leave.
Bullsh*t.

Biggest load of self flattery nonsense in this thread.

White men as beasts of burden? Yeah, right.

Then on top of everything, you wanna exalt black women for the purposes of this single thread.
 
Old 06-08-2013, 10:38 AM
 
31,387 posts, read 37,091,241 times
Reputation: 15038
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
White men and black women are both under appreciated greatly in society. It's natural that they would be empathetic to each others situation.
Once again another interesting topic goes down the toilet before it can even begin.
 
Old 06-08-2013, 10:40 AM
 
Location: 20 years from now
6,455 posts, read 7,018,342 times
Reputation: 4663
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinycampbell View Post
I hate when people assume ALL blacks are poor or uneducated and that the black woman who marries a white man must be marrying 'up' when in reality wm/bw couples tend to be educated and on an equal financial status than both wm/ww and bm/ww couples. Many black woman won't deal with a broke white guy (why do that when they could deal with a broke black one) and many educated white men would probably only be interested in an educated black woman. In fact, its been said that poor whites and poor blacks are more segregated than ones who are middle/upper class.
I'd like to see the data that proves that most of these white males are educated and financially stable..because from what i've seen...this certainly isn't true.

Personally, i think people are pre programmed to assume that these white guys come with a bag of goodies simply because he is white-- from what i've witnessed, it's normally the BW making the cake.

Last edited by itshim; 06-08-2013 at 10:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top