Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 11:30 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,880,760 times

Advertisements

of racial makeups in marriage. You can argue the reasons until youre blue in the face, but everyone knows the answer. White men and black women are both under appreciated greatly in society. It's natural that they would be empathetic to each others situation. Interestingly enough, the combination of white women married to black men is amongst the highest divorce rate.

Sounds like white women dont appreciate white men, and black men dont appreciate black women.

[]But Will It Last?[]: Marital Instability Among Interracial and Same-Race Couples* - Bratter - 2008 - Family Relations - Wiley Online Library

Old 02-21-2013, 01:18 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,310,540 times
I know of one couple like this , he is white jewish divorced and she is very mixed race color person with 1/8 jewish & pagan.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:28 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,258,614 times
WM/BW have lower divorce rates because we have to put up with more stigma's and face more prejudice than any other coupling in the USA (part of the reason they are so rare). So by the time WM/BW get to the marriage stage the relationship is very solid.

As far as WW/BM go, well, white women are just crazy. No marriage partner makes them happy.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:44 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,461,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
of racial makeups in marriage. You can argue the reasons until youre blue in the face, but everyone knows the answer. White men and black women are both under appreciated greatly in society. It's natural that they would be empathetic to each others situation. Interestingly enough, the combination of white women married to black men is amongst the highest divorce rate.

Sounds like white women dont appreciate white men, and black men dont appreciate black women.

[]But Will It Last?[]: Marital Instability Among Interracial and Same-Race Couples* - Bratter - 2008 - Family Relations - Wiley Online Library
I don't know that "everyone knows" that answer.

I think the answer comes from two main factors:

Most divorces are initiated by women. The white husband is less likely to divorce because men are less likely to divorce in general.

Women tend to marry up. And most blacks are less well off than most whites. So the black wife is less likely to divorce because it is more likely that the white husband represents a more secure life than she had coming likely from a single parent lower class household given that 70%+ of black births are to single mothers.

These factors combine to make it unsurprising that a white husband and black wife would create a stable marriage. I don't think it has to do with how society views the worth of different demographics. I think it has to do with how humans have evolved in mating patterns and the socioeconomic trends between the races.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:11 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,652,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
WM/BW have lower divorce rates because we have to put up with more stigma's and face more prejudice than any other coupling in the USA (part of the reason they are so rare). So by the time WM/BW get to the marriage stage the relationship is very solid.
I felt the need to edit your original post above, so it could be an excellent post.
3/4 of your post was very well thought.

Chad.

Last edited by chad3; 02-21-2013 at 04:20 AM..

Old 02-21-2013, 04:23 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Young married couples consisting of a white man and a black woman also have more earnings than a white couple.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:29 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,380,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I tend to agree with this.

My now-husband waited to tell his father about his dating me until he knew things were getting serious because his father did not initially believe in interracial relationships and if his grandfather were still alive, he would have been disowned.

Thankfully, he gave his blessing as he outgrew that mindset and shortly after he proposed.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:33 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,380,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Women tend to marry up. And most blacks are less well off than most whites. So the black wife is less likely to divorce because it is more likely that the white husband represents a more secure life than she had coming likely from a single parent lower class household given that 70%+ of black births are to single mothers.
Can't say I agree with this. In my case, some would say (actually my in-laws) that it was my husband who 'married up' as I am the only one who is college educated and built a secure financial foundation for myself. I believe I am the one helping him have a more secure life.

But I do get what you are saying in other situations.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:34 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,448,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Young married couples consisting of a white man and a black woman also have more earnings than a white couple.
What? How is that so?

Old 02-21-2013, 01:51 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,258,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
What? How is that so?
Who knows. Maybe white black couples are more likely to have higher education. I read somewhere that the more educated a BW was the higher her chances of getting married were, but the more education a WW had the lower chances of marriage were. I don't know that this income study controlled for such factors or that "chances" is the right word, but here's the data.

Interracial Couples Who Make the Most Money - NYTimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies