Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 09:48 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times

Advertisements

If Louis Farrakhan and Al Sharpton don't turn people away from the D party then why should a couple of individuals turn people away from the R party.

Both have their share of kooks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 09:52 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
I was a republican before George bush was president. I was done with both him and the GOP by 2008. Part of it was me becoming less conservative, but part of it was also the party going off the deep end. When Glenn beck the birthers and the whole tea party cabal came on the scene I swore off voting for the republicans indefinitely. And I don't see any time on the horizon when I'll vote republican. Even if I lose complete faith in the president and leading liberals I will STILL not vote for the former party of Lincoln because they're too crazy.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:45 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
I would like to know if there is anyone out there that has a news media that they think is actually unbiasaed? I would like to know why you think the reporting is fair and balanced, because I have yet to see any mainstream media that is actually unbiased and the news reported is fair and balanced.

News reporters today have no integrity and don't respect their profession. They are merely newswhores who are more concerned with ratings that integrity and don't have the ability to understand objectivity. If it's not them, it's the media station/publication that gives them a paycheck to report the news the way it wants it to be reported. One has to do a lot of reading and sift through it to get even close to the truth.

So, to you democrats and republicans, your mainstream news media/sources are no better than the next. They are all biased and they support their own, or the stations, party.

We will never see the likes of:

Walter Cronkite
Mike Wallace
Tom Brokow
Peter Jennings
Edward R Morrow
Dan Rather
Howard K Smith
Frank McGee

These were men of integrity and treated their profession with the utmost respect.

The news reporters today remind me of GIGO: Garbage in, garbage out.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:37 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
Quit being an 'R' and became an 'I' when the televangelists took control of the GOP and every election centered on abortion during the 1980's. Like there was no other basis to choose our president on except for their view on abortion.

Fox, Beck and Trump do nothing to make me want to return. I still vote either way, but don't see myself ever belonging to the GOP again.

In fact, I watched Fox news every day up until @ 5 years ago when, one day, Alisyn Camerota announced that Cuba would now become a democracy because Castro stepped down, and at the same time GB was building his bunker. Enough.

That, along with Trump recently trying to influence the GOP primary by saying that if Gingrich wasn't nominated he would run as a 3rd party candidate and now trying to pull what amounts to extortion on the sitting POTUS, make me wonder what happened to the GOP I belonged to.

So, no, they didn't cause me to change, but they do give me 2nd thoughts on ever going back.
You're right - there was a seismic shift in the Republican party during the 80s toward what it is today - irrelevant to the average person.

So, if we are listing names of key figures who have pushed people away, we must start with....

**************** BLASPHEMY ALERT ******************

Ronald Reagan.

He made the country feel great for a handful of years while pulling the national drain plug, allowing our wealth and respect for Constitutional principle to ebb literally and figuratively toward the sea.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:46 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I would like to know if there is anyone out there that has a news media that they think is actually unbiasaed? I would like to know why you think the reporting is fair and balanced, because I have yet to see any mainstream media that is actually unbiased and the news reported is fair and balanced.

News reporters today have no integrity and don't respect their profession. They are merely newswhores who are more concerned with ratings that integrity and don't have the ability to understand objectivity. If it's not them, it's the media station/publication that gives them a paycheck to report the news the way it wants it to be reported. One has to do a lot of reading and sift through it to get even close to the truth.

So, to you democrats and republicans, your mainstream news media/sources are no better than the next. They are all biased and they support their own, or the stations, party.

Walter Cronkite
Mike Wallace
Tom Brokow
Peter Jennings
Edward R Morrow
Dan Rather
Howard K Smith
Frank McGee

These were men of integrity and treated their profession with the utmost respect.

Jennings, Rather, and probably Brokaw fall way, way short of the level of the rest. You may as well throw in Chris Matthews if you're going to include Rather and Jennings.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:49 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
People like that absolutely push me away. As do half of the conservatives / Republicans on this board.

I actually hold to many fiscally conservative principles. My main temptation to vote for Obama is because these kinds of d-bags just **** me off.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:03 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I was a republican before George bush was president. I was done with both him and the GOP by 2008. Part of it was me becoming less conservative, but part of it was also the party going off the deep end. When Glenn beck the birthers and the whole tea party cabal came on the scene I swore off voting for the republicans indefinitely. And I don't see any time on the horizon when I'll vote republican. Even if I lose complete faith in the president and leading liberals I will STILL not vote for the former party of Lincoln because they're too crazy.
Same for me. I will go back to the Republican party, when they quit kneeling at the alter of the far right extremists.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:05 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post

Walter Cronkite
Mike Wallace
Tom Brokow
Peter Jennings
Edward R Morrow
Dan Rather
Howard K Smith
Frank McGee

Walter Cronkite thinks Fox news is crap (my word not his). You can't both respect Walter Cronkite and Fox News. He has been clear what the thinks of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-mKbetULhPU

Old 11-05-2012, 12:18 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Walter Cronkite thinks Fox news is crap (my word not his). You can't both respect Walter Cronkite and Fox News. He has been clear what the thinks of them.

Walter Cronkite's opinion of Fox News - YouTube
Why are you including FOX news? I forgot your obsession with FOX news!!! You can't help yourself. Every single post that you make you mention FOX News - or FAUX News that you are fond of saying. If there was a thread about baby poo you would somehow mention Faux News. You might want to take a break from watching FOX and find some a source that comes close to fair and balanced, and doesn't spew out crap that suits your agenda.

Cronkite. Fox News. Should never be used in the same sentence.

I notice you didn't have an opinion as to a balanced and fair newscaster or news media outlet. Don't be embarrassed to name one of those mainstream outlets that cause you to fall to your knees when they "report the facts" as they know them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies