Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 11:02 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
what does that have to do with the fact that the liberals in 1937 (they controlled all 3 houses) are the ones that outlawed hemp
And I am guessing you have never paid any attention to political history before, the Democrats of the 1930s is not the same Democrats today. Both Republican and Democrat parties have taken a huge shift over the years and have basically flip flopped positions.

Heck, while you are at it, you should read up on the history of parties that have disappeared in our country and the ones that joined together that created the two parties we have today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 11:05 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,388,296 times
And iin the end
The weed you take
Is equal to
The weed you make

Old 11-04-2012, 11:05 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
isn't it on the ballot in oregon as well?
Yes it is, it is in a number of states including Colorado....though for Oregon it is more about deregulating it and making it basically a non-crime, not fully legalizing it. Washington has a better chance of passing their law than Oregon does.

I don't think a marijuana law will pass in Oregon until they put together one that fully legalizes it. Though I think it is a great idea to legalize it, tax it, and put in safety regulations on it in the sense of being under the influence. I am all for ending any hold the drug cartels have on our country, those people do not deserve American money.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:07 AM

8,996 posts, read 10,439,802 times
It matters little what Colorado or Washington do next week... MJ will still be illegal under Federal law. Just like same-sex marriage is. Recognition at the state level confers no benefits (or immunity) at the Federal level. And I don't think the GOTP House will be moving towards legalization anytime soon.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,565,345 times
Didn't Obama say that states cannot make up their own laws even if their laws are the same as federal ones? Would Obama allow states to make laws contrary to federal laws?

Old 11-04-2012, 11:17 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,734,709 times
If it passes in Colorado it becomes part of the state Constitution, given the US Constitution I don't know if the federal government can override a state constitution on drugs without an amendment to the US constitution. Which is one reason the feds have left the medical marijuana trade and dispensaries alone that follow the state law to this point in Colorado as opposed to California where they have closed down groups throughout the state.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:24 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,430,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
If it passes in Colorado it becomes part of the state Constitution, given the US Constitution I don't know if the federal government can override a state constitution on drugs without an amendment to the US constitution. Which is one reason the feds have left the medical marijuana trade and dispensaries alone that follow the state law to this point in Colorado as opposed to California where they have closed down groups throughout the state.
Obama Explains Increasing Medical Marijuana Crackdowns, Raids In 'Rolling Stone' Interview

"I never made a commitment that somehow we were going to give carte blanche to large-scale producers and operators of marijuana -- and the reason is, because it's against federal law."

"I can't nullify congressional law. I can't ask the Justice Department to say, 'Ignore completely a federal law that's on the books.' What I can say is, 'Use your prosecutorial discretion and properly prioritize your resources to go after things that are really doing folks damage.' As a consequence, there haven't been prosecutions of users of marijuana for medical purposes."

Old 11-04-2012, 05:38 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,427,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
It matters little what Colorado or Washington do next week... MJ will still be illegal under Federal law. Just like same-sex marriage is. Recognition at the state level confers no benefits (or immunity) at the Federal level. And I don't think the GOTP House will be moving towards legalization anytime soon.
That is true but the war on drugs has largely depended on local LEO's enforcing these laws. When local cops are no longer turning over people with MJ for prosecution, the whole thing will crumble apart as enough states stop participating. the feds mostly target the big growers and smugglers.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:42 PM

629 posts, read 770,045 times
Yeah, because everything bad that ever happened was the fault of politicians who we call republicans today and everything that is good that ever happened credit goes to politicians we call democrats today

Yeah, thats it

uh huh

right

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And I am guessing you have never paid any attention to political history before, the Democrats of the 1930s is not the same Democrats today. Both Republican and Democrat parties have taken a huge shift over the years and have basically flip flopped positions.

Heck, while you are at it, you should read up on the history of parties that have disappeared in our country and the ones that joined together that created the two parties we have today.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:51 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,734,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Obama Explains Increasing Medical Marijuana Crackdowns, Raids In 'Rolling Stone' Interview

"I never made a commitment that somehow we were going to give carte blanche to large-scale producers and operators of marijuana -- and the reason is, because it's against federal law."

"I can't nullify congressional law. I can't ask the Justice Department to say, 'Ignore completely a federal law that's on the books.' What I can say is, 'Use your prosecutorial discretion and properly prioritize your resources to go after things that are really doing folks damage.' As a consequence, there haven't been prosecutions of users of marijuana for medical purposes."

Medical marijuana has been legal in the state of Colorado since 2000, the first dispensaries opened soon after that, they have won 2 lawsuits against rules that were not included in the original admendment. Now both were in the state courts, however it is far from a given that the federal government will win even in federal courts.

Fact is the federal government is actually a grower of marijuana and have supplied people for decades, they have also lost a federal lawsuit from a patient that had been using medical marijuana and was arrested in the 70s.
Government runs nation's only legal pot garden - CNN.com

now whether that translates to states going further then medical marijuana is yet to be seen, and there are several lawsuits in action fighting the federal government including one in front of the federal court of appeals right now.

The fact is as a guy who does not smoke weed, I think public opinion has turned on whether it should be legal, and I could care less if someone smokes weed, as does just about everybody I know. I think the pro pot guys win long term, and the government would be better off concentrating on the heroin and cocaine trades, leave the pot heads alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies