Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 09:34 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
This kind of stuff is why I'm voting for Obama on Tuesday. Why anyone thinks that child should be denied that kind of help is beyond me.
Me too! The GOP seems to think people (kids too) should just die in the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 12:07 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
You think those that go bankrupt only go because of lack of insurance? I know many personally that go bankrupt because they are unable to work, so is your proposal that you are going to cover all their personal bills while they are sick as well? Fact is for those unable to provide insurance for themselves there have always been options, especially for children.

As for everyone being wealthy, please show me where I said that? In the united states everybody has the option to improve their lives, it is not my choice if someone chooses to work at a minimum wage job, they have options to improve their lives, and if they do not they still have medical care options available to them, which we already subsidize to a lessor extent. Last I checked their are plenty of grants and subsidized school loans, the government even subsidizes child care for those wanting to go back to school, many blue collar jobs are willing to pay well for those willing to work a **** job. The problem is that many either do not want to put in the effort, or if they have the money to pay for insurance they decide it is not a priority, they choose to drive a new car, own or rent a nicer house then they can afford, and blow off insurance knowing that through forced care, bankruptcy, and government plans they are covered if their health takes a dramatic turn for the worse.

I know you are trying to put words into my mouth, but you are looking ridiculous. I personally have worked in the insurance industry, and have a child with severe medical issues that almost forced me into bankruptcy years ago. I know both sides and am tired of reading people who think they know the answers when they have no idea the problems or what solutions exist. Hell I worked in the real estate industry when the market went bust, and people I know personally were committing suicide, being placed in mental health institutions, and/or going bankrupt left and right, and I found a way to fight through it, even going so far as working in the oil industry for 80 hours a week and traveling 300 miles to stay at a hotel all week away from my family just to pay my bills, until I could find something better. Why should I or anybody like me be forced to subsidize health care for someone who chooses to drop out of school and work at a gas station for minimum wage? Why should I have to subsidize someone who lost their job and will only take a job in a similar industry for similar pay? When did personal responsibility become something for everybody but those who choose not to deal with it? Why should I work 60 hours a week now to give my family a middle class lifestyle while these people who choose not to try to improve their lives sit on their ass and collect food stamps and receive health benefits that I help pay for? If someone is physically unable to work because of a disability or just old age, then I have no problem paying my part to help them, but those that choose not to do what it takes, then I do have a problem with them and paying their way.

As for somalia, nice try at deflection, but last I checked we were talking about people in the United States, you want to help kids in Somalia then by all means I am sure they are willing to take donations.

I agree with you to a certain extent.
You are right,some people chose to buy a nice house and car rather than insurance.
Here is the problem though:

How do we "force" those people to buy health insurance?
Thses same people would cry about Obama forcing them to buy health insurance,yet if something happens to them,then what?

Old 11-05-2012, 12:46 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
This.^^ I might add that who really knows if she would have been denied care if Obamacare had never been passed. There was a little boy in my church battling cancer and his family couldn't pay for care. The church and fire department arranged to have a barbecue for him and managed to raise the money for his care. Libs and dems assume that we are all a bunch of victims who need protection when really many of us are capable of helping ourselves and others. We just CHOOSE not to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Well, good for the church and fire department for helping that ONE little boy.

Do you think that that church and that fire department can do that for EVERY sick child (or adult) in your community?

Do you really think that if there were no safety nets that the churches and fire departments and all the barbecues and the bake sales in the world will be enough to pick up the slack?

Churches and Fire Departments don't have $16 trillion in debt and future obligations that are virtually impossible to meet.

Every problem has solutions, and some solutions are better than others.

Throwing borrowed money at a problem is always a poor solution.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:05 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I'll be that these people are anti-abortion. More of "Save the Fetus, Screw the Child" hypocrisy from the radical right.

Are you upset that the child wasn't aborted before she became such a financial burden for her family?

If you had bothered to read the article you would already know that the child would certainly have received the transplant even if the insurance company wasn't required to pay for the operation.

The only thing that was saved here was one family's financial health.

The cost of the transplant will be absorbed by the insurance company and passed along to other families in the form of higher premiums.

As premium costs continue to rise under Obamacare, poorer families will be the first ones to lose or give up existing coverage.

No family should be finacially wiped out because of medical expenses, but dumping those expenses on other families is hardly a solution to the problem.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:47 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
This is precisely the FIRST thing I want paid for with my taxes. I am proud to be part of a larger society that cares for the weakest and most unfortunate among us. I am sure Jesus would agree.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:59 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You seem to think caring involves robbing from Peter to pay Paul,coincidently mittens and Obama agree with you
I don't wish the man or his daughter any ill will and hope she gets the care she needs.
My biggest wish is that the government get out of healthcare so we can all get the best possible,without having to pay an arm and a leg or be beholden to insurance and pharmaceutical co's.
So in otherwords the way that it was before fit you just fine? Typical american, "I got mine now you get yours"

Old 11-05-2012, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It takes more than a concerned expression or empty promise for me to believe somebody cares.
In other words a persons actions.
Speaking of, are you aware of how many women and children Obama has murdered with drone strikes?
Oh but he cares so much for this mans child lol.

But yet you cry "He is not protecting us from the bad terrorist!" Would you rather he send troops over there to go after them?

Old 11-05-2012, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Who said the child would be denied the operation?

The only question is who will pay for it.

In this case, the insurance company will pay for it and then pass the expense along to the rest of us in form of higher premiums.

While this may give us a warm fuzzy feeling, the end result is other families (perhaps not as wealthy as the family in the story) will pay more for insurance, fewer employers will offer insurance and families that we don't hear about will be bankrupted because they have no insurance at all.

I'm glad the kid will have the treatment she needs paid for, but let's not pretend the pain isn't felt elsewhere by other people.
Thats interesting because my preminuns went down, why are yours (if you even paty them) are higher? Or are you just parrotting when hannity told you?

To be honest with you if they did go up a couple of dollars or two I would not mind if would save someones elses life

Old 11-05-2012, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
No one has a right to a long or healthy life, and they certainly have no right to the product of other peoples labor regardless of what liberals think. Taking from the taxpayers is as anti american as it gets, that's one of the basic founding premise of the United States. Don't like it go move to Europe.
When you get old please be sure to turn in your medicare card

Old 11-05-2012, 03:25 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Thats interesting because my preminuns went down, why are yours (if you even paty them) are higher? Or are you just parrotting when hannity told you?
Or are you just lying? Look at the statistics. Insurance premiums are not going down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies