Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 04:19 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
To my knowledge, the United States has not started a war in over 100 years.
There was that little engagement in Iraq.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 05:07 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Or are you just lying? Look at the statistics. Insurance premiums are not going down.
Ok, I'm suppose to believe you or my lying eyes. I know what I paid last year (450.00 a month and now it is 400.00)

Old 11-05-2012, 05:08 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I agree with you to a certain extent.
You are right,some people chose to buy a nice house and car rather than insurance.
Here is the problem though:

How do we "force" those people to buy health insurance?
Thses same people would cry about Obama forcing them to buy health insurance,yet if something happens to them,then what?
They go to the ER and get treated and the hospital bills the government

Old 11-05-2012, 06:04 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
There was that little engagement in Iraq.......
You'll find no Republican will touch that with a ten-foot pole.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:19 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I agree with you to a certain extent.
You are right,some people chose to buy a nice house and car rather than insurance.
Here is the problem though:

How do we "force" those people to buy health insurance?
Thses same people would cry about Obama forcing them to buy health insurance,yet if something happens to them,then what?
Why should these people be forced to buy health insurance? If they don't want it then they should not be forced to do it, however when they have health problems then they should lose all that junk that they felt was more important then their health insurance before they are bailed out through bankruptcy and uninsurable health insurance plans subsidized through the government. That is the choice they made, you or I had no part in their decision, but at the end it is their responsibility.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:19 AM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
This is precisely the FIRST thing I want paid for with my taxes. I am proud to be part of a larger society that cares for the weakest and most unfortunate among us. I am sure Jesus would agree.
I don't believe Jesus told everyone to rely upon the government to care for the weakest and most unfortunate among us.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:23 AM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Or are you just lying? Look at the statistics. Insurance premiums are not going down.
They sure aren't here. But what can we expect? Someone has to pay for the "domestic violence screening" and "weight loss counseling" amongst other junk my insurance company is required to provide under BO care. Not to mention all the new IRS agents.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:20 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I don't believe Jesus told everyone to rely upon the government to care for the weakest and most unfortunate among us.
Jesus never commented on it either way.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:51 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Jesus never commented on it either way.
Actually, Jesus didn't wait on Caesar to heal people. He went out and did it himself. I think he would expect Christians to help people who can't afford care and not want us to sit on our butts and wait for Obama to help people.

Matthew 25:37-40, NIV: Then the righteous will answer him, Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you? The King will reply, "I tell you the truth whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."

Notice the word, "you" in the passage above. He didn't say pay burdensome taxes and let Caesar do it. He said YOU are responsible for helping others, not the government.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:09 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Actually, Jesus didn't wait on Caesar to heal people. He went out and did it himself. I think he would expect Christians to help people who can't afford care and not want us to sit on our butts and wait for Obama to help people.

Matthew 25:37-40, NIV: Then the righteous will answer him, Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you? The King will reply, "I tell you the truth whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."

Notice the word, "you" in the passage above. He didn't say pay burdensome taxes and let Caesar do it. He said YOU are responsible for helping others, not the government.
He still didn't comment on government's involvement either way. Just because he commanded us as individuals to help the poor, that doesn't mean he said government should never do so. So please, please don't try to make Jesus into a Republican, because he isn't. The New Testament is not the GOP platform (Nor is it the Democrats)

Liberals are not against private charity, and I don't sit on my butt waiting for the government to help my neighbor. But I'm smart enough to realize that my little contribution on my little salary isn't enough to pay a kid's astronomical medical bills.

Last edited by mackinac81; 11-05-2012 at 09:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies