Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 07:09 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
I cannot believe the number of people that think getting SSI or SSDI is an easy path out of unemployment. I've been denied several times for SSI in the past 2 1/2 years, finally resulting in an administrative judge denying my claims. I am debating seeking an appeal with a federal judge at this point, outside Social Security's administration. This will take another year. The process is long, hard, and often their standards of what jobs are available are unrealistic. I've really resigned myself to have "failed" in the eyes of most of the masses of this country and I feel the need to cut myself off emotionally from "ordinary life" except for a few friends.. They will never understand how unfair the system is as long as people are blinded by ideological propaganda that portrays SSI and SSDI as just another "welfare" program full of "dead beats".

I was diagnosed with Asperger's, an autism spectrum disorder, 3 years ago, and I've had lifelong battles with depresion. I now have a diagnosis of fibromyalgia, and I've been hospitalized 3 times in the past 3 years for psychiatric reasons. But I was still denied. I expected a fair hearing from Judge Ann Adzell but her report is full of subtle libel against my family and erroneous interpretations of my doctors' and therapists' medical reports stemming either from ignorance or malice. The whole thing makes me sick. I'm 36, never worked a day for pay in my adult life due to disability, and I'll have to wait another year at least to get the money I wanted to be able to live on my own and help out my girlfriend and/or my family to support me, and to pay for my medical debts.
Judging by your post you are literate, intelligent and infinitely capable of writing a clear sentence. Get off your butt and get a job. There are zillions of people with Asperger's, depression and fibromyalgia who are pulling in a paycheck every single week.

If the judge says you aren't disabled, then you aren't. Quit wasting your life trying to get a hand out and get a job, for god's sake.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 03:05 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
karma is really going to be very nasty for some people. judging by the apparent love of money and thecomplete lack of empathy could be that that nasty karma is already playing out.
Im the last person that would make claim SSI is not helpful to those that need it. But the system is the system. There has to be some baseline to who will be covered. If this person has been denied repeatedly that sends up a red flag to me.

This thread actually brought tears to my eyes, because of my sister Linda, she lived with severe rhumatiod Arthritis until her death recently. She lived in pain almost everyday...and did not complain.

She recieved SSI. My parents cared for her, but SSI gave her the small freedom to purchase items...SHE wanted. Gave her some small sence of independence.

I am not making any judgement, But i do hope Karma is saved for those individuals that game the system...

Old 02-17-2013, 08:32 AM

818 posts, read 1,016,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Not being rude, but I swear I have read this post (or something very similar) here before....
So what is the point of your post? To say that there can only be a limited amount of "threads" regarding a certain topic?

Old 02-17-2013, 08:35 AM

818 posts, read 1,016,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, I really don't see why I as a taxpayer should have to support an able-bodied 36 year old who is obviously intelligent enough. If his girlfriend and parents are happy to support him, let them, but it gets pretty stale having to get up and go to work day after day while others think they're entitled to a free living.
You don't "have to" do or support anything.It is by your choice and decisions that you do.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:46 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,256 times
SSDI is easier to get if you are over 50 and have paid into the system. That is where the increase is coming from.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:53 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
SSDI is easier to get if you are over 50 and have paid into the system. That is where the increase is coming from.

Good, I can go apply for it making a claim of being aesthetically handicapped thus preventing me from getting a reality show job.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:42 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
I would rather see a person with aspergers, depression and fibromyalgia collect a small SSI check than give a young able bodied welfare queen years and years of freebies - section 8, EBT, WIC, cell phones, etc. Furthermore, newborn babies can collect SSI if they have some kinds of medical issues.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:54 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I think there are many people who legitimately need those services but there are many who don't. Purge the rolls of the con artists and the money that will be freed up would be put to good use helping legitimately needy people even more.
Those kicked off the rolls will either have to pan handle, get jobs or starve.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:07 AM

114 posts, read 268,172 times
I am 50. I have high-functioning autism/Aspergers. I didn't speak reliably until i was 15. Many asperger people have mad skills in some specialized area, that's where some sort of employment success is usually gained. I'm a bass player. I always made a tiny but reliable fringe income from that ( every band needs a good bassist!) though i was never able to get and keep a real paycheck-type job, though not for lack of trying. Even though we may have great work skills, most people find us weird and they don't want to work with us. We're not team players, Cats on a dog planet..... Getting hired in the first place is often the hurdle that stops the whole thing. I know many ASD people who would love some kind of job, but never make it past the interview. SO I am on SSI. It feels shaming, but my Mom did it. Took 8 years. I feel I must do something to earn my way in society even if traditional employment eludes me for my entire life. So i pick up trash, recycle electronics, and volunteer with autistic kids and try my darndest to be helpful. No one likes a leech. We can all pay into our world useful energy, even if not in taxes. To be part of society one must contribute. money is only one form of energy, not all jobs get a paycheck. Thank you for listening.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
Expect your 3 denials and then go in front of a judge. They are approving them to the tune of 99%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies