Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 04:41 PM

1,329 posts, read 832,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Questions: Did you ever see a Disability Attorney (SSI)? (what did he/she say?)

Have you EVER received SSI/ SSDI?

It's entirely possible that some of this could be hypochondria and that is why your doctors/therapists reports are getting you denied. Basically, they might be saying, "It's all in your head."

(Not saying it is.. or isn't).. Have you ever felt you were preoccupied with illnesses but your doctor's weren't concerned?
No, I don't have hypochondria. I was diagnosed in 2009 with Asperger's, among other things, I've also been inpatient at a hospital twice due to Asperger's, and once at a mental health clinic. My therapists and doctors have never suggested my issues are fictitious. In fact I initially resisted the idea that I had Asperger's syndrome until I was officially diagnosed.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-05-2012 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: no names, please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 04:42 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Please elaborate: do you mean "middle class"? Or something else.

The federal government _might_ find it useful to wean people off of SSDI and onto make-work jobs, replacing federal workers through attrition, perhaps. Or it might not. My point is that disability pay should be withheld from those who can do _any_ type of work, rather than the work they are most highly qualified for. Those who cannot do any job at all, of any kind, should receive disability pay.

Unemployment insurance is the primary benefit program for those who have worked, and who are no longer working. Not disability pay. Disability pay should be for the disabled. Unemployment pay is usually a bit higher as well.
I mean the middle as in people who are not so completely disabled that they are functionally unable to work but whose disabilities or chronic illness make it difficult to find employers to take a chance on them. As I mentioned, I am having trouble because I work as a young adult cancer advocate and interviews with me are easily found by searching my name and I have a good friend with cerebral palsy who people have a hard time looking past his crutches. Luckily, I have a job, but not one that pays the bills when you're talking about dealing with cancer. My friend does not, and knows that he would lose a disproportionate amount of benefits to the low pay jobs he might qualify for - and even then I have brought him job hunting to local stores and such where he has not even gotten an interview.

By the way, I'm still waiting for one of you saying that a homebound person could freelance as a programmer or web designer to offer to assist me in the early stages of planning a nonprofit that addresses just that need. There's a whole lot of griping, but very little in terms of realistic solutions.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
And this is the BOTTOM LINE. The United States CANNOT sustain this sort of program, without more people paying into it. I don't know if the liberals of this country have been looking at an increasing national debt, however the more social entitlement programs, the more its going to cost.
SSI lacks works requirements and its thoroughly means-tested (there are asset caps and so on that do not exist in SSDI). It's for people that are severely disabled, the blind, the developementally handicapped (which I qualify as being, Asperger's is a developemental disability), and so on. This program has existed for decades, it's nothing new.

My girlfriend gets SSDI which pays out more (she also works part time, which is legitimate to do), but only because her parents are retired and she's still listed as their dependent. My dad is years away from retirement.

Quote:
no one is really wanting to tackle the overriding issue with this: Where are his parents? Where are his family? Why are they not paying for the OP? He states he has been depressed his whole life. What did his parents do to turn this around? Stop it and correct it?
My parents counted on public schools to make sure I was prepared for life and they were as clueless about Asperger's as anybody else. I delt with depression by hiding alot and my dad was very busy working and my mom wasn't the most emotionally intelligent. They weren't perfect but they were hardly irresponsible.

Asperger's is a relatively new diagnosis in the US (but relatively old in Europe) and in the past alot of people like me got jobs that no longer existed (family farms) or they ended up in state-funded mental institutions.

Quote:
This "person" has leeched off society his entire life. EVERYTHING for 36 yrs has been GIVEN to him for NOTHING. He hasn't lifted a finger to do anything for himself. Not even so much as a part time job at 7-11. And all of a sudden, its OUR responsibility to give him more free money?
First off, I applied alot to 7-11 and they never expressed interest in hiring me.

I've done alot to help myself, and I'm not a "leech". I give back alot to my family and loved ones. I just don't participate in your capitalist economy alot, but then neither does the average housewife. That isn't illegal. How dare you judge my worth as a human being!

Old 11-05-2012, 05:28 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Right now, somewhere in this country, an illegal alien is directing traffic with a sign that says "Slow" on one side and "Stop" on the other. He speaks little English and is using a fake or stolen SSN. Depending on the project, he earns $9 to $15 an hour. He might earn up to $3.79 extra on a federal highway project.

He's functionally illiterate in his native language. He has an 8th grade education at best. And he's a better employee than you have ever been.

Go take his job.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:33 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Right now, somewhere in this country, an illegal alien is directing traffic with a sign that says "Slow" on one side and "Stop" on the other. He speaks little English and is using a fake or stolen SSN. Depending on the project, he earns $9 to $15 an hour. He might earn up to $3.79 extra on a federal highway project.

He's functionally illiterate in his native language. He has an 8th grade education at best. And he's a better employee than you have ever been.

Go take his job.
That requires a few things:

1. To be able to stand
2. To be able to stand outdoors in the elements
3. To be able to reliably show up to work

That disqualifies many people on SSDI, and many who do not qualify (such as myself).

Furthermore, I have lived in 2 states and never seen anyone who was even visibly Hispanic working one of those jobs. The only illegal we might have doing that work in my area is one of the illegal Irish.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:40 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
That requires a few things:

1. To be able to stand
2. To be able to stand outdoors in the elements
3. To be able to reliably show up to work

That disqualifies many people on SSDI, and many who do not qualify (such as myself).

Furthermore, I have lived in 2 states and never seen anyone who was even visibly Hispanic working one of those jobs. The only illegal we might have doing that work in my area is one of the illegal Irish.
I understand. It isn't for everyone. If one has a physical handicap it complicates everything.

Come to the Left coast. Illegals are the state mascot.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:56 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
SSDI was never intended to be an extended unemployment program. Being unable to get a job is not considered a disability. It used to be it was very hard to get it even with the most legitimate disability. Appealing decisions got to be a major specialty for lawyers. But I understand it is much easier now.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
SSDI was never intended to be an extended unemployment program. Being unable to get a job is not considered a disability. It used to be it was very hard to get it even with the most legitimate disability. Appealing decisions got to be a major specialty for lawyers. But I understand it is much easier now.
So we should just, like, crawl away and die... right?

Old 11-05-2012, 09:01 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I have seen people with SSI, who could easily work a job, but don't, they would rather be free to watch tv, lay in bed, go golfing, and hang out. I honestly believe everyone with a disabilty can work, some sort of job. I think you should go to voc rehab and get a job coach and start working at a job, low stress, like hanging up clothes at Goodwill, or being a greeter at Wal Mart.

The ones who cannot work, I have no issues with them having SSI...sadly, I knew a 20 year old girl who was approved for SSI in less than 6 weeks...she had inoperable brain cancer. Her prognosis was she had less than a year to live. With terrible migraines due to the tumors. She definitely could not work.

I think there should be a review of people who are on SSI and SSDI....even if they can work five hours a week, they should....

Old 11-05-2012, 11:25 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
SSI lacks works requirements and its thoroughly means-tested (there are asset caps and so on that do not exist in SSDI). It's for people that are severely disabled, the blind, the developementally handicapped (which I qualify as being, Asperger's is a developemental disability), and so on. This program has existed for decades, it's nothing new.

My girlfriend gets SSDI which pays out more (she also works part time, which is legitimate to do), but only because her parents are retired and she's still listed as their dependent. My dad is years away from retirement.

My parents counted on public schools to make sure I was prepared for life and they were as clueless about Asperger's as anybody else. I delt with depression by hiding alot and my dad was very busy working and my mom wasn't the most emotionally intelligent. They weren't perfect but they were hardly irresponsible.

Asperger's is a relatively new diagnosis in the US (but relatively old in Europe) and in the past alot of people like me got jobs that no longer existed (family farms) or they ended up in state-funded mental institutions.

First off, I applied alot to 7-11 and they never expressed interest in hiring me.

I've done alot to help myself, and I'm not a "leech". I give back alot to my family and loved ones. I just don't participate in your capitalist economy alot, but then neither does the average housewife. That isn't illegal. How dare you judge my worth as a human being!
You've done alot to help yourself? Such as? NOT contribute to society? You admitted you do not "participate in your capitalist economy." Yet, you expect others to take care of you and give you free money, housing, et al. Oh mommy and daddy provided for you when you were in public school and the public school system provided for you then. Uh, your 38 years old. What did you do from 18 until 38? 20 years of what? Did you go to school? Did you join the military? The Peace Corps? The Red Cross? How about as much as even volunteer at your local hospital?

Nope. You laid around at home, looking for the next free handout and you are still doing so now. You want a system, you do not agree with and refuse to participate in, to provide for you and give you all you want. Judge you as human being? I'm not judging YOU on a personal basis. I have no clue who you are. However, I standby my original comment: YOU are a leech on society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies