Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 06:05 PM

781 posts, read 1,195,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
And last year it was $1.5 trillion....
Yes, I know. I did not envy Obama's position when he entered office, considering the extensive amount of bleeding he needed to stop, and, the repercussions he had to address after eight years of recklessness.

Failing to place some of the blame on Obama's predecessor is kinda ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 08:23 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
Exactly. Which illustrates that certain companies, like Kroger, will never be in the business or providing adequate healthcare to their PT workforce (despite other companies attempts to successfully do so), and shows they will jump on any incentive to provide less--meaning, these low wage folks go uninsured and end up on subsidized healthcare or rely on the ER for care. Posters were griping about lost wages due to this FT to PT shift, which, is understandable. But, on the flip side, what happens with Mr. Smith, who works for Kroger's PT (even prior to Obamacare) and makes $20K a year, rendering him ineligible for subsidized insurance--he comes down with a major medical condition or gets into an accident, ends up in the ER, and, then is saddled with a $10K bill that he cannot afford? What does he do? How will this be covered? At the individual level--bankruptcy, poverty, never getting ahead, wash, rinse, repeat. At the system level--this debt ends up costing the taxpayer in these scenarios (and those with insurance via higher premiums), contributing to the dysfunctional system that we have in place right now.

While Obamacare may have its kinks that need to be worked out, especially this 'full time' distinction loophole, 48.6 million do not have insurance in this country. That's a problem I wish more posters in this thread would be discussing rather than ripping apart an attempt to at least try to rectify the problem.
This is very true.

And no one wants to discuss how these medical costs are paid if one has a pre-existing condition and insurance companies decide to decline coverage because it isnt profitable.

The US is the only first world nation has so many uninsured. It is the number one reason in the courts for Chapter 7 and 13 bankruptcies- because medical care and capitalism do not mix.

Obamacare is a start in the right direction.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:00 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
Who determines what constitutes 'proper' treatment of employees?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
Yes, again, silly me.

I'll repeat what I listed a few pages back--you can still earn a hefty profit while treating your employees properly, plenty of small and large businesses can attest to this concept. They are your base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies