Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 09:54 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Union rules allow employees with seniority to claim hours.

I'm senior to you, I got 34 hours on the schedule, so I take 4 of your hours and then 2 hour from someone else so I can get 40 hours. Seniors used to claim my hours until I got enough seniority to claim hours from other people when I worked at Krogers.

Aren't unions wonderful?

Unions suck...

Mircea

I'm intrigued, I'd like to see some of these union contracts. Are they accessible, or is this stuff opaque to outsiders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 09:54 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What is new is the part of Obamacare that says full time starts at 30 hours and mandates insurance coverage and the IRS will go back 1 year to check. This is the start of that "year".
That's easy to fix. Fire everybody and start over with new, 28 hour employees.

Hahahaha. Serves America right for voting for the fool. Maybe stupid can be fixed, after all!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:08 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I can't wait 'til all you 0care lovers starve and have nothing to wear because you're busy boycotting companies that refuse to be blackmailed by that idiot in the white house.

I can't wait!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:15 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Doug Ross @ Journal: EXCLUSIVE-RED ALERT: Kroger to Slash Hourly Workers to Avoid Obamacare Penalties

Last week we found out that, beginning in January, any employee who is not full-time at that point, will be limited to 28 hours per week and all new hires will be subject to the same policy.
The company I work for has been doing that for years. They cap all non-full-time employees at a certain amount of hours per year, which ends up working out to between 18-20 hours per week. They do this so they do not have to give you benefits. This is a lot cheaper than full-time people who demand such things as sick days and healthcare.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:15 PM

781 posts, read 1,195,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Union rules allow employees with seniority to claim hours.

I'm senior to you, I got 34 hours on the schedule, so I take 4 of your hours and then 2 hour from someone else so I can get 40 hours. Seniors used to claim my hours until I got enough seniority to claim hours from other people when I worked at Krogers.

Aren't unions wonderful?

Unions suck...

Mircea

No, they've been talking about it for a while now, even before Darden went public. I've advised several employers to do the same --- cut hours. All of the hotels in town are cutting hours below 30, as are many private restaurants and other retail outlets. The pizza chains here, LaBullBoxer31 (regional chain), Papa John's, Dominoes, Donato's etc are all cutting hours.

When you all grow up and start living in the real world, you'll realize that there is no such thing as "free." Everything costs. Everything, as in every thing.

The Laws of Economics are just like the Laws of Physics -- they cannot be violated --- ever -- not by anyone -- without suffering negative consequences.

Obamacare will actually drive up the cost of health care, not contain it, and not reduce it. And you're going to pay for that one way or another.

You understand that margin on grocery is virtually non-existent, right? I mean we're talking a profit margin of 5% to 20%.

"Grocers" like Krogers, Meijers, Wal-Mart, Publix, Albertsons etc make their money on non-food items like soap and shampoo and household cleaning products and such.

Years ago, thanks to a French company that did business here in the US as Biggs Hypermarkets (now defunct -- bought out by Remke) you had a change in the business model. Biggs sold food, plus clothes and furniture and auto parts and anything you could think of. Wal-Mart adopted that model and expanded on it, and since then all grocers have had to shift to what basically amounts to K-Marts with Safeways plus Walgreens and 5/3rd Banks.

Krogers has to do what everyone else does to survive, and if everyone else is cutting employee hours to avoid the idiotic Obamacare mandate, then that's the way it has to be.

Modeling....

Mircea
As the current system exists, most of these part-time employees do not have health insurance because the employer will not provide, and, they earn low-wages which prohibit them from purchasing expensive private insurance. Hence, they end up with subsidized insurance (i.e., Walmart low-wage employees cost US taxpayers $1.02 billion in healthcare costs) or they are part of the large cohort that is uninsured in this country. The latter end up not receiving preventative care, hold off treatment and medication for chronic conditions, and, also end up costing the taxpayer, as well as those who do in fact pay for insurance, a lot more when they end up in the ER (or in hospitals with long term stays) for an untreated condition, with astronomical bills as a result. The bills often end up as bad debt, costing the hospital, costing the locality, and increasing charges across the board.

The system is not sustainable as is, a health policy class or two can demonstrate.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:32 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Other grocers did this 30 years ago. Kroger is losing market share to Wal Mart throughout the south, as the majority of WMs are now superstores. 2 years before Obamacare, WM cut into Krogers here so bad, they stopped being open 24 hours.

Wal Mart beats their prices; Publix has a much better deli.
Wal Mart uses welfare to subsidise their employees paychecks..

Old 11-04-2012, 10:33 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
The company I work for has been doing that for years. They cap all non-full-time employees at a certain amount of hours per year, which ends up working out to between 18-20 hours per week. They do this so they do not have to give you benefits. This is a lot cheaper than full-time people who demand such things as sick days and healthcare.
But this isnt to discuss the company you work for, this is to discuss Krogers, who used to have a bunch of full time employees, now being FORCED to reduce them because of Obama.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:35 PM

781 posts, read 1,195,839 times
Quote:
But this isnt to discuss the company you work for, this is to discuss Krogers, who used to have a bunch of full time employees, now being FORCED to reduce them because of Obama.
Elaborate how this is being forced?

Old 11-04-2012, 10:52 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
Krogers reported a net income of $279 million last quarter.

They are intentionally skirting the provision of affordable healthcare to their workers because they know it's a demographic they can take advantage of; Starbucks, Whole Foods, Lowe's, Barnes and Noble, etc. all provide health insurance to their part-time employees and still boast record-breaking profits.

If they do not have the decency to provide their low-wage workers with affordable healthcare considering they are heavily reliant on service workers, I have no interest in supporting their business.
It is a free country and you can boy cott if that is your conviction, myself I choose not too and never ask myself when shopping do they pay health insurance? or what they pay? The contract that the employee and employer have is really not my concern and should not be.

You know the old saying of every action there is a re action and you do not need a chrystal ball to predict the employers would respond to protect and increase their profit margins. I agree with the other poster that said there should be a divorce between the employee/ employer marriage. I think this issue belongs to the states to come up with their own solutions. Seeing how the federal gvt has made a huge mess of the issue what do we have to lose.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:54 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times
Quote:
Doug Ross @ Journal: EXCLUSIVE-RED ALERT: Kroger to Slash Hourly Workers to Avoid Obamacare Penalties

Last week we found out that, beginning in January, any employee who is not full-time at that point, will be limited to 28 hours per week and all new hires will be subject to the same policy.
LOL, all companies have always limited employee hours. This isn't new, Target would limit my hours to like 25-29 hours weekly just so I wouldn't be considered full-time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies