Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 09:40 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times

Advertisements

Obama is all for it.........

"A young voter in the capital San Juan, Jerome Lefebre, said: "Puerto Rico has to be a state. There is no other option.
"We're doing okay, but we could do better. We would receive more benefits, a lot more financial help."
But that opinion was rejected by Ramon Lopez de Azua: "Puerto Rico's problem is not its political status.
"I think that the United States is the best country in the world, but I am Puerto Rican first."
The island has been hit hard by the current recession - it has debts of $68bn (£42bn) and unemployment is more than 13%.
President Barack Obama, who visited the island last year, has said he will respect the will of Puerto Ricans if there is a clear majority."

BBC News - Puerto Rico wants to become the 51st state of the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 12:53 AM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
H*** YEAH......pull on up to the gravy train!! More voters with a D after their name!!!!

Old 11-08-2012, 01:13 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
It would be very interesting to me to witness a new state come into being.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:52 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,652,730 times
while back I thought I remember seeing a chart of top 10 welfare recipient parts of the country and PR was like 5-6 of the top 10. Which was crazy as they paid no income tax.

I say as long as financially they will help is more then will hurt is, sure make them a state.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-08-2012, 04:51 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
I've always understood the problem there as that the people that live there year round is opposed to state hood, or that the annual population is to small for statehood. There are times when the population is high enough, but those people leave the island and don't come back for 6 months or more.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:53 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Puerto Rico already gets a SWEET deal from the U.S. government. I can't fathom why they would want to become a state.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:05 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,246,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Obama is all for it.........

"A young voter in the capital San Juan, Jerome Lefebre, said: "Puerto Rico has to be a state. There is no other option.
"We're doing okay, but we could do better. We would receive more benefits, a lot more financial help."
But that opinion was rejected by Ramon Lopez de Azua: "Puerto Rico's problem is not its political status.
"I think that the United States is the best country in the world, but I am Puerto Rican first."
The island has been hit hard by the current recession - it has debts of $68bn (£42bn) and unemployment is more than 13%.
President Barack Obama, who visited the island last year, has said he will respect the will of Puerto Ricans if there is a clear majority."

BBC News - Puerto Rico wants to become the 51st state of the US
Key words: clear majority. Puerto Rico has been talking about this for decades, and each time, Puerto Ricans clearly state they do not want to become the 51st State.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It would be very interesting to me to witness a new state come into being.
Well, Alaska and Hawaii are fairly new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Puerto Rico already gets a SWEET deal from the U.S. government. I can't fathom why they would want to become a state.
They don't. But hey, it is a U.S. Territory and poor as heck. I would hardly say they have a sweet deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies