Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 07:30 AM

376 posts, read 651,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
He didn't cut funding or do away with FEMA, Sandy's victims will thank him for that at the polls
If true, there will be no impact on the election because he's going to win New Jersey, NY, & Conn anyway and he's not going to win WV.

From my perspective, he just did his job for a day or 2 and then left to go back campaigning. He didn't do anything better than Bush....the scope of the disaster for Katrina was more damaging and long-lasting than this little Cat 1 Sandy hurricane. Not that it didn't have a heavy impact on a few thousand people....but it didn't destroy an entire city and coastal cities like Katrina did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 07:34 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,159,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tiger View Post
If true, there will be no impact on the election because he's going to win New Jersey, NY, & Conn anyway and he's not going to win WV.

From my perspective, he just did his job for a day or 2 and then left to go back campaigning. He didn't do anything better than Bush....the scope of the disaster for Katrina was more damaging and long-lasting than this little Cat 1 Sandy hurricane. Not that it didn't have a heavy impact on a few thousand people....but it didn't destroy an entire city and coastal cities like Katrina did.
Perhaps you missed the little fact that over 100,000 homes on Long Island are GONE. Perhaps you missed the devastating fire in Breezy Point that leveled over 100 homes. Perhaps you missed the 110 dead people. Perhaps you missed the fact that many are STILL without power and it is COLD in the NE, unlike New Orleans. Perhaps you missed the fact that MILLIONS, not thousands, have been affected adversely by this storm.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:35 AM

58,759 posts, read 27,115,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
What have YOU done for them? Have you sent money to the Red Cross? I thought you right wingers didn't want any help from the Government?
Having had personal experiences with the red cross, I wouldn't give them the sweat off my brow.

Send money to the Salvation Army instead.

The American Red CrossPresident and CEO Marsha J. Evans'
salary for the year was $651,957 plus expenses

The Salvation ArmyCommissioner, Todd Bassett receives a small salary of only
$13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing this $2 billion dollar organization.
96 percent of donated dollars go to the cause.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:36 AM

Where was the pre-planning for alternative voting procedures? NY did NOT have early voting!

Old 11-05-2012, 07:37 AM

25,811 posts, read 16,465,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
I sent $100 to a community charity in Island Park which was devastated. My husband helped my neighbor cut away a big tree that came down across their driveway. And I will set up a table to take donations for the American Red Cross again, as I did for the hurricane victims in Texas a few years ago.
That's awesome. Imagine if everyone did that.

The Red Cross debits a set amount from my account every month but I've sent additional money as well. I feel so bad for these folks. So many of them were struggling with the economy as it is and then this. The old folks are the ones who really break my heart. I'm afraid many of them are not going to be able to take the stress.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
That's awesome. Imagine if everyone did that.

The Red Cross debits a set amount from my account every month but I've sent additional money as well. I feel so bad for these folks. So many of them were struggling with the economy as it is and then this. The old folks are the ones who really break my heart. I'm afraid many of them are not going to be able to take the stress.
Thank you. Yeah, Galveston is a lot like Long Island with the barrier islands. People in my village (65% Republican) are generous - I was able to collect over $750 in just one weekend for the American Red Cross and they were very grateful.

Note, I stress the American Red Cross over the International Red Cross.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,035,372 times
Quote:
Perhaps you missed the little fact that over 100,000 homes on Long Island are GONE. Perhaps you missed the devastating fire in Breezy Point that leveled over 100 homes. Perhaps you missed the 110 dead people. Perhaps you missed the fact that many are STILL without power and it is COLD in the NE, unlike New Orleans. Perhaps you missed the fact that MILLIONS, not thousands, have been affected adversely by this storm.
Honestly not sure how many outside the area are aware of all of this. They hear the soundbyte of Christie saying Obama's done good and see the photo ops, hear about the money raised by a celebrity concert from the liberal spinners trying to use this to score political points, and think everything can't be too bad. No clue about how, despite the storm being gone, people are still living through it and things are very, very bad for many.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:48 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,511,707 times
Quote:
Preparations would have involved stationing tree removal and power technicians on Long Island and throughout the tri-state to get power back to the devastated areas. Preparations would have been setting up temporary housing to evacuate to for those who have lost everything. Preparation would have been getting generators to the gas stations so they could have begun pumping gas immediately following the storm.

I was blessed to have escaped any damage as I live up on a hill and was shocked that we didn't lose any trees, but the main road into my village is GONE. I didn't get power back until Saturday afternoon. I have not seen the National Guard or the Red Cross the way we did back in 1992 with the Nor'Easter.

ONE MORE DAY! ROMNEY/RYAN!
Monday Morning quarterbacking! Why don't you go put in an app to FEMA, since you know it all.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Honestly not sure how many outside the area are aware of all of this. They hear the soundbyte of Christie saying Obama's done good and see the photo ops, hear about the money raised by a celebrity concert from the liberal spinners trying to use this to score political points, and think everything can't be too bad. No clue about how, despite the storm being gone, people are still living through it and things are very, very bad for some.
Check out these photos from the UK. It is pretty sad when the lamestream American media is more concerned with protecting President Kardashian's image than telling the truth:

Hurricane Sandy: Misery for 2.5 million STILL without power after six days as lawlessness and fear take over | Mail Online

Old 11-05-2012, 07:51 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,719,924 times
I think he failed as far as leadership goes. They had 10 days to prepare for what they could see as a huge storm front rolling in and FEMA still runs out of water, no food stored in the cities, Red Cross dismally handing out cookies and hot chocolate...no blankets. Another huge storm heading their way and where is the preparation or even the help. The military shows up 10 days late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies