Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 05:43 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,101,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
then wait till the Federal Govt mandates it. It doesn't belong as an issue to states. It'll raise food costs to those who live in the state, because manufactureres need to make "special" labels for food to be sold there.

Vote No on Prop 37. The cost to implement the program that only "benefits" one state is wasted effort for farmers, manufacturers, packaging, and advertising. That cost shift would only hurt those that live in that state.

This should be a national driven initiative.

There is nothing good about this proposition except to already make it MORE expensive to live in California.
The only thing I can agree with you on here is that this should be a national initiative. But what you fail to realize is that California is a trail blazer for positive change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 05:46 PM

749 posts, read 835,455 times
I voted NO...

The last thing we need to be doing in this state is paying more for its goods.

Let the Govt on a federal level mandate it if it is so important.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:50 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,490,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
We have genetically modified food for centuries and millenia through natural genetic engineering. Cross polination, etc.

The genetically modified foods this is talking about is gene splicing, making corn safe for round up for instance.
They're inherently indifferent, gene-manipulation via splicing or natural-engineering. I don't think it's necessarily right that Monsanto both sells both the "magic dust" and the vacuum to clean it (religion does the same, actually). I see this as a dangerous slippery slope.

Quote:
Telling people what they are buying, to me, doesn't seem so evil. We aren't banning your sales, why not tell people whats in it? I agree, some people will decide not to buy genetically modified food, but the consumer will make the call with dollars, not with a veil over their eyes.
I think you over-estimate American intelligence.

I'd rather not see an industry sink because Americans are afraid of big words. I can get behind the labeling movement once people stop barking against GM foods as dangerous--which is frequently what this comes down to. "Frankenfoods," etc.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:59 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,155,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
I think you over-estimate American intelligence.

I'd rather not see an industry sink because Americans are afraid of big words. I can get behind the labeling movement once people stop barking against GM foods as dangerous--which is frequently what this comes down to. "Frankenfoods," etc.
So you think Americans are too stupid to decide for themselve whether they want GMO's or not. Speak for yourself. Proposition 37 gives us stupid Americans the right to know and decide. If we are mindless sheep who reject GMO's, well let the market deal with it, that's the price of freedom. As far as the cost of creating new labels, why not just get rid of labels all together so we can bring the price of products down.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:57 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,490,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
So you think Americans are too stupid to decide for themselve whether they want GMO's or not.
Like I said, half of Americans are too stupid to recognize that change occurs over time. I'm sure they are capable of making the decision to pick one food product over another, but if their decision is based on profound ignorance and smear-campaigns, I'd rather not have them bother with the decision in the first place.

Quote:
Speak for yourself. Proposition 37 gives us stupid Americans the right to know and decide.
Everything you shove in your face is genetically modified in some way or another, at some point in the line, unless you're growing your own crops--and even then...

You can't avoid GM foods, so labeling them only singles out a select number of particular products. If you labeled everything that has touched GM products, everything in your supermarket would have a label. Instead, these things are targeted towards RR products, induced-cows, etc.

Quote:
If we are mindless sheep who reject GMO's, well let the market deal with it,
You don't seem like the market type. If you want to talk market, why not shop at your local farmers market instead?

Quote:
that's the price of freedom. As far as the cost of creating new labels, why not just get rid of labels all together so we can bring the price of products down.
I'm okay with labels--just not when they're based on disinformation.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:04 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,258,525 times
What is more expensive, a sticker that costs a few cents, or a 50 million dollar campaign by a chemical manufacturer?
Someone is lying, and I think it is Monsanto!

Old 11-05-2012, 07:26 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,247,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post
It will eventually be adopted by other states and other things have; these things usually start with one state (usually CA)
THIS kind of initiative must start at the FEDERAL level. Not the individual states to implement it. I suggest you take your complaint and issues to the FDA, who is in CHARGE of food labeling in the entire USA.

Quote:
CA is my state. We don't seek to punish ourselves. We care about our health, and the future of the food supply.
CA is my state, and I hate to see costs of living going up for a piece of legislation that only affects US. Not the US, not people in AZ, but all the people in CA. Its another fee that we will see passed on to the consumers.

and that piece of legislation is inadequate. Why do people ignore that Dog food which can be GMO has to be labeled, but the slab of steak you buy from your butcher, from a cow that ATE GMO hay and grain, are not?

Old 11-05-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
The only thing I can agree with you on here is that this should be a national initiative. But what you fail to realize is that California is a trail blazer for positive change.
Not at the expense of having my food costs go up. Start this with Middle of America, where 90% of our food is grown. Have those states "start to pave the way for positive change" for once.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:35 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,743,586 times
The paranoia over genetically-modified foods is typical of people who react hysterically rather than think. In fact there isn't the slightest evidence that GMOs are the least bit hazardous, but people still tremble in fear and put things like Prop 37 on the ballot.

I voted No, of course.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:36 PM

news for everyone, the food you eat has been "genetically" modified for the LAST 100 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies