Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 11:50 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,695,068 times

Advertisements

Monogamy is CRUEL and ABNORMAL Few mainstream therapists would contemplate trying to persuade a gay man or lesbian to "grow up, get real, and stop being gay." But most insist that long-term sexual monogamy is "normal," while the curiosity and novelty-seeking inherent in human sexuality are signs of pathology. Thus, couples are led to believe that waning sexual passion in enduring marriages or sexual interest in anyone but their partner portend a failed relationship, when in reality these things often signify nothing more than that we are Homo sapiens

The two primate species closest to us lend strong -- if blush-inducing -- support to this vision. Ovulating female chimps have intercourse dozens of times per day, with most or all of the willing males, and bonobos famously enjoy frequent group sex that leaves everyone relaxed and conflict-free.

Monogamy is a cruel convention we have been conditioned to accept. It is a concept conceived by and instilled on us in by the church which was and is sexually prudish. Monogamy is contrary to the concept of evolution, where man would seek out the best female (or other male) to reproduce. With the female searching for the same thing, the human species would increase and improve its genetic stock.

I know of no male (and possibly females, although I haven't asked them) who have ever been sexually satisfied in a long-term monogamous relationship. Boredom soon sets in.

I believe most men cheat. I do not say that out of some bitter experience, just from my observations of friends and non-friends. Most partners never find out about it, though.

Women often look for a reason to explain a man's unfaithfulness; her inadequacy to please him; his weakness, a predatory mistress ect. But the plain truth is that humans (both men and women) have not evolved to be monogamous.

Why should we restrict ourselves?

Monogamy unnatural for our sexy species - CNN.com

Old 11-05-2012, 11:53 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Monogamy is CRUEL and ABNORMAL Few mainstream therapists would contemplate trying to persuade a gay man or lesbian to "grow up, get real, and stop being gay." But most insist that long-term sexual monogamy is "normal," while the curiosity and novelty-seeking inherent in human sexuality are signs of pathology. Thus, couples are led to believe that waning sexual passion in enduring marriages or sexual interest in anyone but their partner portend a failed relationship, when in reality these things often signify nothing more than that we are Homo sapiens

The two primate species closest to us lend strong -- if blush-inducing -- support to this vision. Ovulating female chimps have intercourse dozens of times per day, with most or all of the willing males, and bonobos famously enjoy frequent group sex that leaves everyone relaxed and conflict-free.

Monogamy is a cruel convention we have been conditioned to accept. It is a concept conceived by and instilled on us in by the church which was and is sexually prudish. Monogamy is contrary to the concept of evolution, where man would seek out the best female (or other male) to reproduce. With the female searching for the same thing, the human species would increase and improve its genetic stock.

I know of no male (and possibly females, although I haven't asked them) who have ever been sexually satisfied in a long-term monogamous relationship. Boredom soon sets in.

I believe most men cheat. I do not say that out of some bitter experience, just from my observations of friends and non-friends. Most partners never find out about it, though.

Women often look for a reason to explain a man's unfaithfulness; her inadequacy to please him; his weakness, a predatory mistress ect. But the plain truth is that humans (both men and women) have not evolved to be monogamous.

Why should we restrict ourselves?

Monogamy unnatural for our sexy species - CNN.com
This is really good news if you are a primate and since I'm am a human and not a primate I'll remain restricted to my own husband and not feel restricted at all.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:00 AM

102,205 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Clearly, you haven't read the recent "Does your wife still turn you on" thread. No one who posted there was bored with their wife. If you're bored, you're doing something wrong, or the couple is doing something wrong.

OP, would you be happy as part of a woman's stable of guys?

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times
Actually polygamy is cruel. Under polygamy the majority of men will never be able to find a mate.

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
The way humans do courting, mating and copulating is more akin to how wolves do it, than Bonobos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Actually polygamy is cruel. Under polygamy the majority of men will never be able to find a mate.
Correct.

There would be great civil unrest if this were widespread.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:24 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,258 times
I think monogamy at its root came from another very human condition - jealousy. Not many people can get past this to have an open relationship.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:28 AM

102,205 posts, read 107,859,557 times
I wonder how old the OP is. He sounds like a 14-year-old who just discovered bonobo mating habits (notice bright red print, indicating heavy breathing) during a research project.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:33 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Ironically, if we go back to law of the jungle, we'll probably go back to alpha males hogging the females and polygamy again.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:37 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
This is really good news if you are a primate and since I'm am a human and not a primate I'll remain restricted to my own husband and not feel restricted at all.

Homo sapiens are primates. Just saying.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:40 AM

233 posts, read 445,155 times
Quote:
Thank goodness I'm not a chimpanzee or a bonobo.

My view is that if two adults want an open relationship, then that is their business. I prefer a monogamous one. There have been many successful monogamous relationships and marriages and that's what I'm seeking.

Temptation is prevalent in all areas of our lives. We're able to reason though, and we can choose to resist temptation if we think the consequences of engaging in that action will be too damaging to our long term goals. This doesn't just go for sex; we do it everyday with our choices in food, exercise, recreation, financial management, friends we keep, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies