Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 03:05 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
You may think this is a tired subject but the guy who created the movie, that is what started this discussion, doesn't think so.
To answer the original OP's question, maybe it is a good thing that he is showing both sides of a yet still controversial subject but I am sure there will be just as many folk who will see it it as bad, evil, horrible or what ever. And as mentioned, I am sure it will be the majority of the same folks that believe Harry Potter is evil.

I would think the liberal left would welcome this movie that simply shows the real bare facts from both sides without any personal judgement. What are they afraid of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 03:08 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
You may think this is a tired subject but the guy who created the movie, that is what started this discussion, doesn't think so.
To answer the original OP's question, maybe it is a good thing that he is showing both sides of a yet still controversial subject but I am sure there will be just as many folk who will see it it as bad, evil, horrible or what ever. And as mentioned, I am sure it will be the majority of the same folks that believe Harry Potter is evil.
For me personally I will always keep half an eye on the subject when it comes up as it does pertain to me. Number one I am a woman and number 2 I was adopted and I believe if I was conceived a year later than I was I might not be here and I happen to value and appreciate my life. It has nothing to do with religion or anything else for me, just my own reality. I also do not recall claiming that it should become illegal, I just stated I believe it should not be so readily available and made to be an easy option nor used as birth control.
well, I value your statement, and hindsight is always 20/20. But, whatever working powers exist in the universe, by chance, or by a powerful all knowing god, things happen the way they do.. and yes thankfully you were permitted life, and you were able to be adopted, but you have to see all those interconnecting "what ifs" You could have still been born, but you could have been thrown in a dumpster, or you could have been born into an abusive family, or you could get hit by a car when you're 8 or the list goes on of awful things that can happen as well as good things that can happen. I am saying that before there is a life in question, it is the responsibility and choice of the entity that is alive and will effect first and foremost, because that is what is tangible and able to be helped or hindered by the decision.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:13 PM

They always have a list a mile long of reasons to kill a baby and they wonder why they are called the party of death.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:17 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
To those of you who want to see Roe overturned and would like abortion to be illegal, what punishment would you suggest for those who violate the law? Would it be the same for the practitioner as the woman seeking the abortion? What about her partner? If he were complicit, would he be punished as well? Would there be any allowances for being underage?

Old 10-12-2007, 03:23 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
well, I value your statement, and hindsight is always 20/20. But, whatever working powers exist in the universe, by chance, or by a powerful all knowing god, things happen the way they do.. and yes thankfully you were permitted life, and you were able to be adopted, but you have to see all those interconnecting "what ifs" You could have still been born, but you could have been thrown in a dumpster, or you could have been born into an abusive family, or you could get hit by a car when you're 8 or the list goes on of awful things that can happen as well as good things that can happen. I am saying that before there is a life in question, it is the responsibility and choice of the entity that is alive and will effect first and foremost, because that is what is tangible and able to be helped or hindered by the decision.
You are correct and I do agree with you on the "what if" point. One could look at it from another point of view too. What if the person that finds the ability to cure cancer is aborted before they have the chance to grow up and do so? I agree, that same child could be the one hit by that car, but again, what if? Even in my situation, I can see just about every side of this issue, again except for the making it to easy and accessible part. You could also see the flip side of the "what is meant to be by the powers that be" and then the thought of are we supposed to mess with that? I believe this issue has more than two sides, it has many many sides.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
They always have a list a mile long of reasons to kill a baby and they wonder why they are called the party of death.
good grief...

Old 10-12-2007, 03:25 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Even in my situation, I can see just about every side of this issue, again except for the making it to easy and accessible part.

What sort of restrictions would you like to see on abortion? And what would you do to make it more difficult and less accessible?

Old 10-12-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Even in my situation, I can see just about every side of this issue, again except for the making it to easy and accessible part.

What sort of restrictions would you like to see on abortion? And what would you do to make it more difficult and less accessible?
I think that so long as it remains that the practice takes place before it is a thinking, feeling cognative life form... you can do what you want.. as many times as you want.. its your body... and anyone that knows anyone that's had one knows that it is destructive to a woman's reproductive system.. therefore perhaps the natural effect of misuse renders a consequence...

Old 10-12-2007, 03:40 PM

This documentary shows both sides of the issue......both sides in a straightforward manner. Why are the pro-abortion supporters so afraid? Terrified in fact. Doesn't that say a lot? What is it they want to hide? What is it they do not want people to know? This is the same people that always denigrate others by calling them uneducated yet on the subject of abortion they fight hard against people being educated.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
This documentary shows both sides of the issue......both sides in a straightforward manner. Why are the pro-abortion supporters so afraid? Terrified in fact. Doesn't that say a lot? What is it they want to hide? What is it they do not want people to know? This is the same people that always denigrate others by calling them uneducated yet on the subject of abortion they fight hard against people being educated.
I don't know what you're getting at citigirl, nobody is afraid of the issue.. we're discussing viewpoints and WHY we believe what we believe... I am left when it comes to this issue, but it does not mean that I do not see the other side of things.. just as someone who doesn't agree with me.. but see's my point of view.. nobody is afraid of the issue... I don't know what you're trying to accomplish by spinning the issue and creating more drama than it is.
Fact is, I really do understand pro-life side of things... and I can see why they would feel that way..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies