Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2007, 04:21 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,146,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
I fully believe the Pro-Abortion crowd is afraid. They are afraid of any truth getting out. They are afraid people may realize what they are really doing when they have that abortion.

I posted this thread just to let people know there was a documentary out there that looks at both sides of the issue. I have debated this issue before so I didn't bother to come in here until the 5th page, mostly because I was curious why it was still at the top.

The Pro-Abortion crowd cannot even look at what was no more the a notice, without the usual insults to those against abortion, we also see the usual attacks and insults against Christians.

I actually expected to see comments like "this is a good/bad idea" or "this kind of documentary will show both sides of the issue and people can make up their mind fully informed"
I'm not afraid, I just don't care that much about the issue...though I feel it should remain legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 05:19 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Just who is pro abortion? Just who thinks every woman should get an abortion when she becomes pregnant? Nobody!

And what do people who favor banning abortion in this country expect to happen if it is? Do they really expect abortion to vanish and go away as a result?. To me, I think banning abortion in this country would be about as successful as banning marijuana was.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 10-13-2007 at 06:07 PM..

Old 10-13-2007, 07:08 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
There was a whole thread devoted to that subject. Search it out.
The subject being what sort of punishment is appropriate for people involved in abortions.

I found the thread and read it. Only one person said abortion should be treated as murder and punished accordingly.

If those of you intent on outlawing abortion are serious, you're going to have to figure the punishment thing out. Otherwise, you're going to have to be quiet and go home. It can't be illegal if you're not willing to punish it.

BTW, your suggestion of having a woman who has had an abortion watch 100 more abortions would increase abortion exponentially. Each of the next 100 women would have to watch 100 more women, etc. Duh. Is that the best you've got?

Old 10-13-2007, 08:04 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The subject being what sort of punishment is appropriate for people involved in abortions.

I found the thread and read it. Only one person said abortion should be treated as murder and punished accordingly.

If those of you intent on outlawing abortion are serious, you're going to have to figure the punishment thing out. Otherwise, you're going to have to be quiet and go home. It can't be illegal if you're not willing to punish it.

BTW, your suggestion of having a woman who has had an abortion watch 100 more abortions would increase abortion exponentially. Each of the next 100 women would have to watch 100 more women, etc. Duh. Is that the best you've got?

I don't think so. Those first few 100 would quickly spread the horror.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:20 PM

200 posts, read 915,048 times
Default Wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

Did someone actually really suggest that?

Old 10-14-2007, 07:18 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Yes, in a discussion about what sort of punishment would be appropriate for a woman who gets a theoretically illegal abortion, citigirl suggested that she should be punished by having to watch 100 more abortions. She apparently didn't consider where the next 100 abortions would come from.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:05 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times
Was there a "punishment" for abortion before Roe-vs-Wade? Wasn't it just a matter of whether a Dr's could preform the procedure or not? I know there were many women being brutally damaged inside due to back alley procedures being done anyway and that is sure no answer and I do not want to see that return. I do think there are certain instances where it may be necessary. Such as a young girl who gets pregnant due to incest/ rape or an instance where it is a choice between the mother dieing due to complications if she does carry full term and other such dire circumstances. So even though I personally am against abortion in general, I do see that there maybe a medical NEED for it sometimes so I don't think it should become "illegal" per say which holds a criminal aspect. Well, lets compare abortion to the marijuana issue. (I know, some will say there is no comparison, but for arguments sake, lets just go with it.) Marijuana is illegal yet some Dr's can prescribe it to cancer patients as it is one of the only know things to alleviate the pain. Why can't abortion be looked at with the same eyes? To be used only as a last resort and only in what is considered a medically necessary situation. I am not saying arrest someone who has had an abortion without medical necessity like marijuana, but you get the meaning here.
I brought it up before and I still stand by it, it seems a large hypocrisy to me that a Dr will refuse to do a hysterectomy or tie tubes on a woman under the age of 40 without a solid medical reason behind it but will give a 25 year old woman an abortion on request with only less than an hours counseling and usually without alternative options given, but only explanation and understanding of the procedure itself. If we want to look at this as a strick "a womans right to choose" why can't it go both ways? Why can't a woman "choose" to not have children or any more children and be given the hysterectomy or tubes tied on request? That is not a matter of "legal or illegal". Why can't abortion be looked at in the same way, let the medical profession decide if the procedure is medically necessary or not? The same goes for men. Dr's will not give a man a vasectomy unless they are over 40 or already have children after the age of 30. If we are going to call it all a "right to choose" why can't that be across the board within the subject of to have children or not have children? Why does it have to be "legal" or "illegal" ?

Last edited by mbmouse; 10-14-2007 at 08:22 AM..

Old 10-14-2007, 08:23 AM

236 posts, read 441,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Was there a "punishment" for abortion before Roe-vs-Wade? Wasn't it just a matter of whether a Dr's could preform the procedure or not? I know there were many women being brutally damaged inside due to back alley procedures being done anyway and that is sure no answer and I do not want to see that return. I do think there are certain instances where it may be necessary. Such as a young girl who gets pregnant due to incest/ rape or an instance where it is a choice between the mother dieing due to complications if she does carry full term and other such dire circumstances. So even though I personally am against abortion in general, I do see that there maybe a medical NEED for it sometimes so I don't think it should become "illegal" per say which holds a criminal aspect. Well, lets compare abortion to the marijuana issue. (I know, some will say there is no comparison, but for arguments sake, lets just go with it.) Marijuana is illegal yet some Dr's can prescribe it to cancer patients as it is one of the only know things to alleviate the pain. Why can't abortion be looked at with the same eyes? To be used only as a last resort and only in what is considered a medically necessary situation. I am not saying arrest someone who has had an abortion without medical necessity like marijuana, but you get the meaning here.
I brought it up before and I still stand by it, it seems a large hypocrisy to me that a Dr will refuse to do a hysterectomy or tie tubes on a woman under the age of 40 without a solid medical reason behind it but will give a woman an abortion on request with only less than an hours counseling and usually without alternative options given, but only explanation and understanding of the procedure itself. If we want to look at this as a stick "a womans right to choose" why can't it go both ways? Why can't a woman "choose" to not have children or any more children and be given the hysterectomy or tubes tied on request?

Great post. Abortion has become a way that women who "Accidently" get pregnant can rid themselves of of that Blob(as someone else put it earlier in the thread) I believe it is important to teach education. In sex education I believe they need to show what the process of abortion is and the repurcussions. Educate on abstinence and contraceptives but also show the real facts on abortions. I agree that abortion should not be illegal but it should not be readly available to anyone who wants to rid themselves of their lapse of judgement. I know so many people who would love to adopt. Me being one of them. One poster said that baby's who are not white have a harder time being adopted. I don't believe that. My in-laws were foster parents and I saw more white baby's being placed in foster home's than minorties. Which means that minortity baby's were either placed with relatives or adopted out. Ethicnicity does not matter to be. A child is a child. Adoption should be encouraged except in extreme circumstances

Old 10-14-2007, 08:54 AM

236 posts, read 441,999 times
I have 3 boys. 20,18,17. My ex-husband have raised our kids to be responsible when engaged in bedroom sport. I always have stressed that the woman is the one who pays the price not only physically but also mentally. I have taught respect for women and the value of human life. My kids are aginst abortion. They believe only in extreme circumstances. It is rare that men are against abortion because it never really effects them. My boys have said that they never would be involved with a woman who would kill a child of theirs.(my son's child) To them it is a respect issue. Contraceptives do fail but that is a chance everyone must take if your are going to fool around. If you don't want to take a chance of pregnency, my mom used to tell me this, "There are other ways to please a man" (I added or woman)

Old 10-14-2007, 09:08 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,180,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinasgt2005 View Post
It is rare that men are against abortion because it never really effects them.
Actually, I don't think that is accurate at all. I have found many men against abortion. By the way, I'm not adopted but my sister is. I do not feel comfortable about talking about her (or her daughter's) experience with abortion.

So now we have a shock video about abortion. It reminds me of those movies about car accidents they show pimply adolescents. Those don't really change minds or anything else.

Facts to consider:

1. There will be abortion whether the procedure is legal or not.

2. If abortion is illegal, it will be far less safe for women.

3. The majority of Americans agree that a woman has a right to an abortion.

4. The Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade has survived assault for 34 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies