Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 03:13 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times

Advertisements

Bloomberg for President!!!!!!!

"The city left more than a dozen generators desperately needed by cold and hungry New Yorkers who lost their homes to Hurricane Sandy still stranded in Central Park yesterday.

And that’s not all — stashed near the finish line of the canceled marathon were 20 heaters, tens of thousands of Mylar “space” blankets, jackets, 106 crates of apples and peanuts, at least 14 pallets of bottled water and 22 five-gallon jugs of water.

This while people who lost their homes in the Rockaways, Coney Island and Staten Island were freezing and going hungry........."

New York City Marathon canceled but still has generators and supplies unused in park in spite of Hurricane Sandy recovery needs - NYPOST.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 04:18 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Bloomberg for President!!!!!!!

"The city left more than a dozen generators desperately needed by cold and hungry New Yorkers who lost their homes to Hurricane Sandy still stranded in Central Park yesterday.

And that’s not all — stashed near the finish line of the canceled marathon were 20 heaters, tens of thousands of Mylar “space” blankets, jackets, 106 crates of apples and peanuts, at least 14 pallets of bottled water and 22 five-gallon jugs of water.

This while people who lost their homes in the Rockaways, Coney Island and Staten Island were freezing and going hungry........."

New York City Marathon canceled but still has generators and supplies unused in park in spite of Hurricane Sandy recovery needs - NYPOST.com
Apparently, Nanny Bloomberg is better at big soda management. They didn't cover disasters in his Mayor training class.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Don't worry. Big government is just trying to figure out whose job it is to move those items.
The cancelation wasn't in their process guidelines so they must be having meetings and committees to decide who needs to be in charge of moving those items and where they should go. They should figure it out in a week or so.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:37 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Showing once again how government is excellent manager of tax payer resources.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Showing once again how government is excellent manager of tax payer resources.
If you think about it they probably never planned what to do if it was cancelled.
So all that stuff "just sits".

Old 11-06-2012, 05:48 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,469,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you think about it they probably never planned what to do if it was cancelled.
So all that stuff "just sits".
They don`t think about it.They`re just angry at the mayor for taking away their 40oz. cups of sugar water.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:49 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I read somewhere that those generators (and other items) were rented out from private companies (or supplied by private companies) and therefore Mayor Bloomberg and the city of NYC cannot force the owners of the generators or other items to make them available to hurricane damaged areas/victims.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:55 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
I used to be much more of a survival nut than I am now. I always had supply of food & water that I rotated religiously. I still have my katadyn water filter, but not really much food. And if I was forced to leave my home now, I don't have much of a plan in place. As years went by, the big earthquake/terrorist attack/yuppie riot (yuppies where I live) never happened, and I started to see my preparations as silly.

I think my new year's resolution is going to be to go back to that survivalist mindset. The fact is, if you leave it to gov't, you just might end up like the people in the SuperDome after Katrina.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:41 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I read somewhere that those generators (and other items) were rented out from private companies (or supplied by private companies) and therefore Mayor Bloomberg and the city of NYC cannot force the owners of the generators or other items to make them available to hurricane damaged areas/victims.
Correct. The city of New York did not organize the marathon, nor did "big government". The marathon is a private, non-profit organization which rented generators and other equipment, and purchased blankets and food for the racers. The marathon director was responsible for those items.

Should the city have seized them via eminent domain? Oh, what the hypocritical shouting would have been like in that case!

Old 11-06-2012, 10:32 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
it's time to flush the blooming terd out,and start a fresh bowlmovment!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies