Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:52 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneedge View Post
He is wrong: for all races! He needs to Read Bell Hooks take on America! Did you folks ever realize that the reason you're losing everything is that your whole statistical reasoning is based on lies. From the Welfare statistics, to the statistics on education, you have manipulated data so much you actually believe the drivel! When whites failed the ISTAT, you invented the ACT, When they caught you cheating, you invented the SAT! When you got caught trying to force patriarchy on the descendants of superwomen, you invented freud and Monyihan. Thank God for Cornel West and Bell Hooks who gave us enough truth to save ourselves. Now you want to make more white women victims of this misguided nonsense!?
GD! No wonder your race is dying. Maybe it is high time you built yourselves a whites married only enclave! I bet we will find quite a few sensible white women who won't set foot in it! We black women have already given the"black muslims" the boot!
Not my race. I am one of the "we black women" He is not wrong. And bell hooks (Gloria Watkins), a native of my home state, is an extremely radical feminist who sees things only in terms of her own race and gender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 11:15 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,495 times
Why does Murray assume that the fact that 60% of working class whites don't go to church is a bad thing? That really is a matter of perspective and, in my view, is a good thing.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:22 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times
Being a "bum" isn't really a problem for a man as long as he isn't homeless and can still find women with which to have relationships. That would not change even with increased social ostracism, since our society is fairly fragmented to begin with. Who cares if your neighbor regards you as a bum? Quite a few people have no idea who their neighbors are.

So his suggestion is interesting in theory, but utterly impracticable and also incompatible with the actual nature of modern society.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:28 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
No shame in a hard day's work. I always enjoyed the physicality of hard, menial jobs (when I was young). My biggest beef with it was the low pay and the stupid conversations. I recall building a fence with a guy who spent all day everyday bragging about his sexual conquests. It got old after about 5 minutes, the next few months became torture. Not everyone is like that though. I had a lot of fun working with field crews doing trail and watershed work. There is no shame in doing physical work. Not everyone is going to be a doctor, lawyer, scientist, or software engineer, so why feel bad about it. Find something you can learn to do well, and do it.
Absolutely. I've never frowned upon another man because he doesn't have some sort of big title.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
Why does Murray assume that the fact that 60% of working class whites don't go to church is a bad thing? That really is a matter of perspective and, in my view, is a good thing.
It's actually a WONDERFUL thing. The less church attendance we have in this country, the better.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:40 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,495 times
Also, the author assumes that males that are not working or looking for work are somehow inferior. But what about males who stay at home with children while the other parent works? I suppose Murray implicitly views them as somehow inferior, though I don't know why.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:09 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
He just sees a statistical correlation between religion and good behavior/outcomes for the Fishtown folks.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:13 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Being a "bum" isn't really a problem for a man as long as he isn't homeless and can still find women with which to have relationships. That would not change even with increased social ostracism, since our society is fairly fragmented to begin with. Who cares if your neighbor regards you as a bum? Quite a few people have no idea who their neighbors are.

So his suggestion is interesting in theory, but utterly impracticable and also incompatible with the actual nature of modern society.

Murray actually has a "bum" standard, I forget what he calls it, something about being "economically viable" or "productive" or something like that. His standard is somewhere in the neighborhood of $15K which is slightly above minimum wage working full time.

It's another one of his indicators he tracks (only for men I think) to show that the sky is falling. This stat ties in with (lack of) marriage because men who are not economically viable are generally considered (by women, at least, who are the deciders) to be unmarriageable.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:20 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Not my race. I am one of the "we black women" He is not wrong. And bell hooks (Gloria Watkins), a native of my home state, is an extremely radical feminist who sees things only in terms of her own race and gender.

I think bell hooks sees beyond her own race and gender, and "extremely radical" is certainly a value-laden matter of opinion.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:23 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
I wouldn't consider anyone with a job (any job including caring for their children) a bum. I wouldn't consider anyone who cannot work due to disability a bum. I wouldn't consider anyone who is actively looking for work a bum. I would consider anyone who is physically able, but unwilling to work or look for work a bum. I judge people on their efforts or lack thereof. I've never looked at a person doing their job, regardless of what the job is, and thought "what a bum".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies