Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 05:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I gotta say, I think Ron Paul would have had a much better edge than Romney ever would have. At least Paul did what no Republican has been able to do to date: energize the youth and get them on his side. Most people at Ron Paul's rallies were in the 18-30 demographic, super vital to the GOP's survival and would have stolen a lot of Obama's thunder since the youth vote was very vital to him winning
I agree. Ron Paul had a rally at TAMU this year. I was surprised that so many college students attended and even more surprised that my own son got interested enough in politics to discuss and question why no one wanted Ron Paul to run for President.

But the majority of Americans didn't want Ron Paul or his plans; they want to keep their social programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 06:04 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
I don't think the country has lost it, but we've lost the government. Its now openly working against us. Rigged elections, a concerted effort to undermine the middle class, the use of illegals to further weaken the economy and weaken the country by geopolitical means.
In other words, its business as usual, the status quo.
Just worry about your families, your neighborhoods and local communities. You're going to have to begin to rely on them more than ever as an increasingly hostile relationship takes over higher government and we're made to turn on each other.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:41 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I don't think the country has lost it, but we've lost the government. Its now openly working against us. Rigged elections, a concerted effort to undermine the middle class, the use of illegals to further weaken the economy and weaken the country by geopolitical means.
Just worry about your families, your neighborhoods and local communities. You're going to have to begin to rely on them more than ever as an increasingly hostile relationship takes over higher government and we're made to turn on each other.

Good, I look forward to seeing that movie.

They should call it "Red Dawn II", and label it a documentary. The conservatives can't tell the difference anyway.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:44 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post

Follow the money.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:48 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Surely your God will prevail ? In this life or the next, what does it matter, his will be done and all that....Works in mysterious ways doesn't he ?

I have many Christian friends and they don't seem to be suffering too much under "European conditons", their survival is pretty assured. Nobody has stopped them from believing in God or practising their faith. Two of them are vicars in fact and no sign of trauma there....

They go to Church whenever they feel like it, and are not harassed for it. I know it's hard to believe but Europeans Secularists do not spend their lives thinking of cruel ways to torture Christians.

In many European countries ( Europe being a rather large and varied place) Legislation means that public funded institutions comply with the concept of separation of state and church which is only right and proper. And yet many Christians are leaders of governments, communities, businesses and rather successful nonetheless. Without the shrill holier than thou intolerant bigotry so common in American Christians. Faith does not belong in public policies, other than that knock yourself believing whatever you wish.

A secular society does not mean the ostracisation of Christians, it is more a question of accepting that many people lead secular lives or share other beliefs . It is certainly a lot more inclusive than Theocracies which exclude other faiths, or Atheism.

I find it sad that so many people live in fear and ignorance. If Christianity modernised a little bit it might have a better chance to keep its audience and appeal. It is its own worse enemy.

If you don't approve of Gay people don't be Gay. If you don't approve of Abortion don't have one. I am pretty sure if your God exists he is big enough to show his ire and smite us for our perceived "sins". How about just letting Him deal with those who offend his sensibilities ? I thought only God could pass judgement ?

Survival is not an issue. As long as you are willing to be tolerant and not wag your finger I could not care less who you worship or not. Most atheists are baffled by faith but do not care one way or another as long as nobody is trying to impose their creed on anyone else. Faith is all about your relationship to God is it not ?

So as long as YOU are faithful, and follows the precept of your faith then what is the problem. I have yet to meet anyone wanting to ban faith. I don't understand it but whatever floats your boat.... When you start imposing dogma though on others and want to legislate then yes I do take issue.
Great, great post.
So much wisdom here. I truly pray that some of these "my way or the highway" types will be open to not just reading this but also taking it just a little bit to heart.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
You nailed it. They call themselves conservatives, what they really are are crazy right-wing extremists and they don't understand why the majority of the country isn't as crazy and loony as they are.
The right-wing extremists are bullies who got told to knock it off. Now they are now going to cry and whine because they aren't getting their way. The country told them "NO. You do not represent how everyone else in this country wants to live".

We still have religious freedom. God bless America. In fact we will have MORE because the bullies now know people will push back if they try to inflict their values and ethics on everyone else. No one is stopping them from buying land and moving to the boonies. They have that freedom. The interesting thing is they've illustrated they will be clinging to their guns and their religion. While the rest of the country has shown they will reach out to people who may not be like them but are accepted for what they are: human beings.

The Good Guys won. Intolerance lost. (We also found out how little the extremists matter in the big picture. They make a lot of noise but they certainly aren't selling what people want.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-07-2012 at 12:20 PM..

Old 11-07-2012, 12:13 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I agree. Ron Paul had a rally at TAMU this year. I was surprised that so many college students attended and even more surprised that my own son got interested enough in politics to discuss and question why no one wanted Ron Paul to run for President.

But the majority of Americans didn't want Ron Paul or his plans; they want to keep their social programs.
College students like Paul because he wants to legalize drugs. Talk about one-issue voters.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:15 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The right-wing extremists are bullies who got told to knock it off. Now they are now going to cry and whine because they aren't getting their way. The country told them "NO. You do not represent how everyone else in this country wants to live".

We still have religious freedom. In fact we will have MORE because the bullies now know people will push back if they try to inflict their values and ethics on everyone else. No one is stopping them from buying land and moving to the boonies. They have that freedom. The interesting thing is they've illustrated they will be clinging to their guns and their religion. While the rest of the country has shown they will reach out to people who may not be like them but are accepted for what they are: human beings.
Wow, gotta love those lib-colored glasses.

Wasn't it liberals that threatened all sorts of horrible things if the election was "stolen" from Obama? Talk about bullying. I know, you libs only see bullying when it's not YOU doing the bullying.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:16 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
So as long as YOU are faithful, and follows the precept of your faith then what is the problem. I have yet to meet anyone wanting to ban faith. I don't understand it but whatever floats your boat.... When you start imposing dogma though on others and want to legislate then yes I do take issue.
Question...

Why is telling me that I should support abortion through taxation (for example) acceptable discourse, and me saying abortion should not be supported by government imposing dogma?

... or ...

You saying gay marriage should be legal, acceptable discourse - and me saying gay marriage should not be legal, imposing dogma?

Someone help me out here...

Old 11-07-2012, 12:16 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
College students like Paul because he wants to legalize drugs. Talk about one-issue voters.
No, they're two-issue voters: pro-weed and anti-war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies