Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 01:56 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
No, the lazy bums were the ones that decided to put what they wanted that day ahead of paying for insurance.

If you care about these folks so much, why don't you donate all YOUR money to help them out. I know the answer to why you don't - libs always want to spend someone else's money.
Pat, nonsensical dogma based in nothing but pure fantasy.

Hey that should be the ERW'ers slogan for next election!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 01:57 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
spare me, dog. you lost it. just because
the president is not a republican, we lost it?

get the heck..

Old 11-07-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
What a sane, logical and rational observation.

Unfortunately, here in the US there are religious fanatics who have co-opted the word "conservatism."

The GOP lost because it was being run by extreme Fundamentalists who clouded the message of fiscal responsibility, prudent investment, reducing the deficit ... with all that nonsense such as staunch opposition to abortion even in cases of rape and incest, restricting women's reproductive freedom, arrogant denial about damaging the environment, and their seething hatred and bigotry against the LGBT community.
Let's not forget that in the last twenty years fiscal conservatism has been used as a synonym for not spending money instead of spending it in an intelligent manner.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:00 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
You really live in an alternative universe, don't you.....
Sure do! The alternative universe to your fact-free one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
This election was more of a sign that Americans are afraid of the religious right than that they support the President. With the right claiming things like Democrats don't have jobs, only the lazy are liberal, the 47%, etc etc, a lot of people who might ideologically be more conservative either voted for Obama, a 3rd party, or sat this one out.

I am one of the more liberal posters on this forum and in addition to working full time through a stage IV cancer diagnosis and treatment, graduating with no student loan debt because I chose a school that gave me a full tuition scholarship, and paying all of my taxes, I also likely would have voted for someone like Jon Huntsman who ran as a Republican. Unfortunately, Huntsman never had a shot in comparison to people I perceive as lunatics like Ryan, Huckabee, and Romney.

Huntsman is wildly intelligent, has experience as both a governor and the Ambassador to Singapore and China, and business acumen. He's also a moderate Republican, a Mormon, and the child of a billionaire. He has adopted children (something I always look for when talking about pro-life candidates), acknowledges global warming as well as incorporates science into his faith, supported civil unions if not same-sex marriage, and is generally a stellar candidate for President. And, of course, he has been utterly shunned from the Republican party.

If the Republicans can put up more Jon Huntsman's rather than Paul Ryan's, they would be in better shape and get liberals like me to consider voting across party lines.
My husband, who is a dyed-in-the-wool Dem, really respects Huntsman. I'm not sure DH would vote for him, but he certainly likes the guy.

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Because legal gay marriage and legal abortion is not impugning others' rights. Using your religion to dictate other people's freedom does violate people's rights.
Actually, we do it all the time.

There are laws against murder - which is biblical. Yet this is OK. Same for stealing. It's against the law, but it's biblical. So some things that come from the Bible are OK. There are others.

My point on this is that they are two directly opposing viewpoints - for or against gay marriage - for or against abortion. How can one viewpoint be religious, and the other be non-religious - just because I have a God and a book and you don't? I think it is just as "religious" or "spiritual" to vote in favor of gay marriage, as it is to oppose it - it's just that those in favor don't have God behind their viewpoint.

I just think those in favor of gay marriage use religion and God as leverage to silence the opposition.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:02 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,632 times
Quote:
Christ also said "give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime". Don't act all high and mighty, when you're perfectly willing to steal another's property to further your own views of "fairness" and "equality".
It's a good proverb, but I don't believe Christ said this.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:03 PM

198 posts, read 468,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The GOP lost because it was being run by extreme Fundamentalists who clouded the message of fiscal responsibility, prudent investment, reducing the deficit ... with all that nonsense such as staunch opposition to abortion even in cases of rape and incest, restricting women's reproductive freedom, arrogant denial about damaging the environment, and their seething hatred and bigotry against the LGBT community.
One of the problems American conservatives have is the idea of "prudent investment". Many of them feel free to posture that the entirety of the federal government could be successfully done away with, or that the government can't put useful social programs in place.

When it comes down to it, people like government. You might momentarily think that speeding tickets are crap when you've been pulled over in an obvious speed trap, but a small part of you knows you're better off being pulled over than there being no traffic laws.

I would agree that the Republican party needs to promote more people like Jon Huntsman, perhaps Christie really does have a shot at 2016.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Actually, we do it all the time.

There are laws against murder - which is biblical. Yet this is OK. Same for stealing. It's against the law, but it's biblical. So some things that come from the Bible are OK. There are others.

My point on this is that they are two directly opposing viewpoints - for or against gay marriage - for or against abortion. How can one viewpoint be religious, and the other be non-religious - just because I have a God and a book and you don't? I think it is just as "religious" or "spiritual" to vote in favor of gay marriage, as it is to oppose it - it's just that those in favor don't have God behind their viewpoint.

I just think those in favor of gay marriage use religion and God as leverage to silence the opposition.
Murder and stealing violate others' rights to life and their property. Furthermore, being against murder or stealing is certainly not exclusive to Christianity. MANY people of all belief systems believe this to be wrong.

I am for free choice. I am not "for" abortion or gay marriage. I am for equal rights under the law. There is nothing religious or spiritual about it. It's mere logic that tells me all people should have equal rights under the law.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:05 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Yes, that's exactly why your candidate lost.
No, Romney lost because the "takers" now outnumber the productive people.

Actually, America lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies