Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Puerto Rico's Status.
Statehood 50 58.14%
Status Quo. 9 10.47%
Independent Nation 27 31.40%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 11:27 AM

912 posts, read 1,332,011 times

Advertisements

I say cut em lose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 11:47 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
let them be a state ....IF...that is what THEY WANT....dont force the issue...its their choice
That is what they want...
They voted on it... that's how voting works...

Old 11-07-2012, 12:03 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,156 times
Well now they have to do it again in a binding referendum which should come up next given the results this time. If they vote yes, I say let them. I mean really now, they've been with us for over 100 years.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:49 PM

1,110 posts, read 672,295 times
Well Mississippi would be grateful as the would become second to last in Median Household income ($36,919). Keep in mind that Puerto Rico has a Median Household income of $18,314. Their needs for health and Human service and infrastruture support would be a tremendous burden on our domestic unfunded liabilities.

On the other hand consider to global picture. If Puerto Rico became a nation they would rank 23rd Globally (just under Spain).

Nationhood would allow them to take back control and privately manage their Ports, Lease US bases on better terms, and open more international trade markets (hopefully for them on better terms than restrictive US rules and regulations). A lower corporate tax structure (than our) would bring more US and International Corporations to their shores so one could expect a significant revenue boost and better jobs.

Honestly I think they stand a better chance on their own than be sucked into our country as the 51st State (and when I say 51st I mean that in many senses of the word. 51st in income, education, etc.).

Old 11-07-2012, 12:54 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Well, as far as the size of the place, they are larger than Rhode Island.

I'm all for their joining the Union. However, what is problematic to me is if doing so means that we require bilingualism in our government. Canada has had that problem with Quebec for years.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:57 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Be that as it may (and i think it would lean (D), but as far as hispanics go, they would be more toward the middle), these people have been American citizens and have been since 1917. Per capita, more have given their life for this country than any state or territory. They have earned the right, IMO, to decide to become a state after all the sacrifices they've made for our nation.
what he said/\.

As for PR soaking up federal dollars etc. as a territory they are already part of our system. nothing changes in that regard.

now they would just be part of the system and have representation in congress.

I am for it. (they also have a republican gov.)

Old 11-07-2012, 01:35 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, as far as the size of the place, they are larger than Rhode Island.

I'm all for their joining the Union. However, what is problematic to me is if doing so means that we require bilingualism in our government. Canada has had that problem with Quebec for years.
Puerto Rico is a drop in the bucket when you consider there are already 35 million people in the U.S. who speak Spanish at home. Although it is true that nowhere in the 50 states is instutitionally functional in Spanish on almost all levels like Puerto Rico is.

As for Quebec and French in Canada in general, it's still roughly double (proportionately) what Spanish represents in the U.S. Plus Quebec is the biggest province (area-wise) and second-biggest population-wise in the country. This also makes a big difference. The situation is not really analogous.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:41 PM

893 posts, read 1,207,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
How much money will it cost to bring the new state of Puerto Rico up to standards?
I'm pretty sure they are already well ahead of places like Mississippi...

Old 11-07-2012, 01:42 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Should we let them become a state? I know only Congress has a say in the matter, but what say you?
Why would we want Puerto Rico to become a state? They're already a big drain on welfare! They come and work here in the US for ten months out of the year and then go back and not have to pay any federal taxes

Old 11-07-2012, 01:45 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
I say cut em lose
Agreed

We don't need Puerto Rico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies