Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 01:41 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yep, you wanted it this way when it benefited you, like Harry Reid, but now, it has to go right?
You missed the part where I said it has been used in HISTORIC proportions ... by your buddies, not by Harry Reid.

I personally always thought it had to go. But at least no one dared to abuse it quite so breathtakingly as the GOP since the day after Obama's inauguration.

Like I said, double check your facts somewhere outside Fox News. In fact, just about anywhere else, because this fact is so widely known by all adults over the age of 21.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 01:44 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
14 reasons why this is the worst Congress ever

14 reasons why this is the worst Congress ever

Old 11-07-2012, 01:46 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,883 times
Still waiting on a Democrat budget.....Oh wait to all you Obama voters out there,it doesn't matter he's "cool".

Dopes!

Old 11-07-2012, 01:47 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
You missed the part where I said it has been used in HISTORIC proportions ... by your buddies, not by Harry Reid.

I personally always thought it had to go. But at least no one dared to abuse it quite so breathtakingly as the GOP since the day after Obama's inauguration.

Like I said, double check your facts somewhere outside Fox News. In fact, just about anywhere else, because this fact is so widely known by all adults over the age of 21.
Rep to you. Yes, historic proportions. What do they talk about on Fox, it's amazing that they find so much to fill the time with when they omit so much actual news and facts.

Here's another fact that proves what a mockery has been made of the filibuster process...

Quote:
A tool once reserved for high-profile legislation such as civil rights became a normalized tool of combat making the Senate a supermajoritarian body on almost every decision.

Senators don't even have to filibuster anymore. They can simply raise the threat and that brings the discussion to an end. Senators have also employed additional tactics such as anonymous holds, whereby senators can secretly prevent action on a bill and nobody can know who was responsible.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/21/opinio...ion/index.html

Old 11-07-2012, 01:48 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
The President gave you one. The House wouldn't even let it hit the floor for debate for the first time in history.

Oh, wait, to all you GOP supporters, it doesn't matter, he's "black."

Old 11-07-2012, 01:59 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The filibuster has been abused since Obama took office and that is why Congress has a pathetic approval rating. The only representative that held a genuine and meaningful filibuster was Bernie Sanders, who actually gave a filibuster worthy of a true Statesman.

The GOP merely used the filibuster as a tool for spiteful self-serving obstruction.

Full Congressional Record Transcript of Sanders Filibuster - Newsroom: Bernie Sanders - U.S. Senator for Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
It was an evil to change the filibuster rules in the first place. It should not have been done. If a Senator feels strong enough about a bill to filibuster, let him or her do it like the old times (one of the best, if I recall, was Strom Thurmond).

This saying "I filibuster" and then going out for drinks is disgusting.
These two posts can't be repeated often enough. Today's version of a filibuster is nothing but a sham!!!

Old 11-07-2012, 01:59 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
The increase in cloture numbers since 1918 say it all: U.S. Senate: Reference Home >

Old 11-07-2012, 02:07 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Smile Reid moves to limit GOP filibusters

Good!

Old 11-07-2012, 02:14 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I'm a democrat and I hate this idea. We're not always going to be in control of the senate and we would need those filibusters to stop any legislation we deem to be extreme.
You need to read a bit more before you make a blanket statement.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:22 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post

Whatever loudmouth. Harry Reid was ALL for using it the way it is now prior to getting the majority in the Senate. He was even for changing the rule to where it is now when he was in the minority. Get YOUR facts straight and stop getting them from MSNBC, Thinkprogress or Mediamatters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies