Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 07:26 PM

8,888 posts, read 5,369,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
People in America look like that?
Well heck, give em candy bars!
Deli sandwiches would be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 07:26 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Many of the bankers who got bailed out were found to have large condos in European capitals, but were allowed to keep them.

yet someone who is out of work is villified for buying a candy bar.

that is some hypocrisy going on!
For once I completely agree with you, Kenneth!

Old 11-07-2012, 07:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
People in America look like that?
Well heck, give em candy bars!
No. In America we have an obesity problem, not a starvation problem with children.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:29 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
Chocolate makes me feel good?

Not everybody that uses food stamps is poor because they couldn't plan right. Unless you think somehow I could plan on having optic nerve hypoplasia or autism before I was born.
Know what makes me feel good? Making my own way and nobody giving me a candy bar.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:29 PM

8,888 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No. In America we have an obesity problem, not a starvation problem with children.
I wish our leaders would make up their minds already.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,802,841 times
Quote:

So mebbie we shouldn't oughtta be givin' out free candy bars.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I live in Texas now but I was in Florida then because my uncle and aunt who I lived with moved to Miami Gardens, FL to work in Miami. Anyways, you're right that I should have sympathy for some in that situation. For example like Sandy, I empathize with them. I really do feel for them.

I've seen people I lost a beach house on Hurricane Ike in Galveston yet I didn't lose anything else thankfully because I don't live in Galveston. I've donated to Red Cross and even told a friend's cousin (who relocated to Vermont to ride out the storm) to find a totally legal car up to $3000 or less and I'll buy it for them (no questions asked and no payback necessary) as he ended up losing his car so his family could have a vehicle. I've never told anybody that because I'm not looking for praise and I've never met the guy face to face but it's the right thing to do I felt. I've seen homes get destroyed and you lose everything in hours. I feel for them and they deserve as much assistance as they can.

However, to equate that to someone who may or may not be looking for work. Who knows? They are just consistently dependent on food stamps with no intention of getting off. That's an insult to compare them to those hard working people who have to rebuild their lives because of a natural disaster. Those people who are languishing on food stamps aren't putting pride aside. They never had it because wouldn't it cross your mind that enough is enough. Wouldn't you feel embarrassed going up to the counter and swiping your card consistently knowing you can work a little bit harder to get out of it? There are people who really need it and been through something. Do I really need this? I don't know but it's something that I couldn't do. I couldn't sit there and just use food stamps when I'm know full well I'm capable of putting my self in a situation to never have to consider it.
That (bolded words) is pretty much the only thing we need to say here. WHO KNOWS. I don't know every single person's situation, so I don't pretend to understand. Just as I didn't know your story until now, which is why I've tried to refrain from speculating. Some people like to speculate, and/or judge other people without knowing the whole story... maybe the guesses are correct, but more importantly, maybe they are not. I've been pretty fortunate in life, however I have not allowed that to jade my sense of reality - and in reality, not everyone on food stamps has themselves to blame. For those who are to blame, I agree we need to crack down but just can't say how (without spending even more taxpayer dollars).

Maybe that "food stamp woman" with 5 kids just got out of an abusive relationship, had to flee with nothing but a bag of clothing, and applied for that assistance last week? Maybe if you check back with her in a year or two, she'll be working full-time and giving to charities as thanks? Or perhaps she's just a piece of trash who has 5 baby-daddies, and hasn't worked a day in her life. I don't know her, so I try not to judge without more information. End of story.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:35 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
What ever gave you the idea I was mad at you???...you would have to have some relevance in my life for that to happen.

The bottom line is that I didn't deflect this conversation away from food stamps to welfare you did. I believe you were starting to see the idiocy of your position, I could be wrong and giving you more credit than you deserve.

I choose to live and better my circumstances if I needed food stamps. You choose to slowly die of hunger because of pride.

I trust most sane people know which of us have more common sense.

There is neither pride nor dignity in these photos, simply what hunger looks like. Stop living in a fantasy.
Perhaps your fervent attack on my position which had nothing to do with you? If you truly didn't care then why did you respond? A bit bored perhaps? Did I hit too close to home? I'm just calling a spade a spade.

I incorporated welfare and food stamps because you may not this but there are people who use both. They are both relevant and I addressed both as they are both running up the bill. They both have a tendency to put the beneficiary in a state of dependency that most will stay in there for an extended period of time.

What you are doing is confusing my points and trying to respond using an incorrect interpretation of my response. That is also a personal problem. If you wish to condone laziness and lack of pride in personal achievement then that's your prerogative. For you to go after someone who is a productive member of society is odd. I pay my taxes and vote. I have enough personal worth that I'm better than swiping a food stamp card. Also, good one posting children who can't fend for themselves in the first place. There is no pride and dignity as a child can't have such a drive to improve their situation.

Again, continue to show pity on the lazy and the freeloaders. I'm better than that to live so limited knowing I can do better. You choose to live if you needed food stamps. I also chose to never put myself in that situation hence my comment. See the link there? See how I brought it back because you weren't getting it even after all this time.

Last edited by Yellow Jacket; 11-07-2012 at 07:45 PM..

Old 11-07-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
You don't think we have starving children in this country? I wish you were correct, but sadly you are not.

Really, the US is a land of haves and have-nots in so many ways... one way being food, since we have BOTH an obesity epidemic and starving children. Fact.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:42 PM

For those who want numbers:
Hunger Statistics, Hunger Facts & Poverty Facts | Feeding America
http://feedingamerica.org/hunger-in-...ger-facts.aspx

Btw, even as a "liberal" (who are thought to be all PC-like), I had to laugh at their term "food insecure households" - guess that's the new PC term for poor & hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies