Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-08-2012, 11:04 AM
 
29,407 posts, read 22,000,074 times
Reputation: 5455

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The free cell phone program was not started by Obama, but nice try.

Though the origins of the universal service program date back at least to 1934, the Lifeline program in particular was instituted by a well-known redistributionist by the name of President Ronald Reagan in 1984. A related effort, expanding affordable access to cell phones for low-income Americans, was created by another radical liberal by the name of George W. Bush.

As for the larger context, Dave Weigel's point bears repeating: "Shockingly, despite the bipartisan origins of the service, the idea of an 'Obama Phone' for the undeserving has existed for a long time. You know what else has existed for a long time? The Drudge Report hyping up tabloid news that makes black people look like violent dopes who'll do anything for more goodies from Obama."
I never saw TV commercials or internet ads hyping this program before this election season. Wonder why that is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2012, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
7,835 posts, read 8,437,741 times
Reputation: 8564
By the way:


Note the source — one of the non-partisan credit rating services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2012, 11:43 AM
 
4,176 posts, read 4,669,373 times
Reputation: 1672
I heard that Obama expanded food stamps by 400%. There are now 672 million Americans on food stamps.

Wait, the election's over and I can stop making things up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2012, 11:44 AM
 
2,042 posts, read 2,903,689 times
Reputation: 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
By the way:


Note the source — one of the non-partisan credit rating services.
Great chart. It will be generally ignored by those whose agenda it doesn't further, but still great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2012, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Reputation: 27720
Food stamps is a stimulus program now, right up there with infrastructure spending ?

Well heck..just get 100% of Americans on food stamps and let's call this recession done !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2012, 12:17 PM
 
Location: USA
5,738 posts, read 5,441,745 times
Reputation: 3669
So Obama expanded SNAP benefits after deciding that it would help both individuals and the economy as a whole at a time of particular need. How is this not a brilliant move???? How hard can 48% of this country distort facts?

Borrowing money to pay for SNAP benefits is a serious problem but raising revenue and decreasing spending in a depressed economy has been proven by European nations to be an absolute disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well heck..just get 100% of Americans on food stamps and let's call this recession done !
No one is advocating this except for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2012, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Florida
33,571 posts, read 18,152,594 times
Reputation: 15544
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
There's nothing wrong with letting people know about the programs designed to help ensure KIDS and FAMILIES have enough to eat. What kind of evil are you, anyway? Guess people should get inadequate nutrition because of your sick ideology!


Further, illegals are a problem of conservative businessmen, who love illegals and cheap labor for PROFITS PROFITS PROFITS.

Obama removed 1.4 MILLION people the first 42 months of his administration. Which is more than your demigod Bush.


Facts: Kryptonite to unhinged right wingers.






Please, show us instances where seniors are having their Medicare cut, are being faced with higher bills and less benefits.

REAL examples. Not some chop shop job at your favorite RWNJ blog that has been wrong about EVERYTHING this election!




Your doctor wants an excuse to retire. What's he going to do for a living now? Go work at Wal-Mart?

And FWIW, the fact that you think there's nothing wrong with the fact that millions have to be uninsured so you don't have to wait a bit longer to see a doctor is ANOTHER disgusting attitude unbecoming of someone who pretends to be a good little Xtian solider.


(And btw, maybe your doctor is looking for an excuse to move out of NJ. I also have been to at least two specialists recently.... virtually no wait time. In and out of the dermatologist in half an hour.)







But really, since you dislike the government anyway, why don't you and your neighbors and whatever church you belong to get your @sses out into the snow, and start doing something to help the community, instead of posting on City-Data?



And by the way, though not surprising, you are WRONG about non-union workers being turned away!:

Union officials deny non-union utility workers were turned away from N.J. hurricane outage site | NJ.com

Union crews are otherwise working with non-affiliated personnel in several jurisdictions, Siegel and a representative with the union’s Washington, D.C., national office said.

"It is the policy of this union and the companies we represent to welcome assistance during major natural disasters – regardless of union status,” Jim Spellane, spokesman for the national office, said in a statement. “IBEW local leaders in New Jersey have reiterated what has been the long standing record of our union – in times of crisis all help is welcome and we pull together with everyone to meet the needs of the public."


"We are headed back home," she said. "We were never turned away."

Bill Yell, communications manager for Huntsville Utilities, said he was not aware a union issue had prevented three of that company’s crews from working in New Jersey.

Huntsville originally sent two three-man bucket crews and one three-man pole-setting crew to Seaside Heights, but that all nine had since been dispatched to Long Island, Yell said.

"The reason we're not working with the New Jersey system is that they had all the crews they could handle," he said.

The fact that those crews are not unionized did not have any effect, he said.

"They didn't have any problems with us," he said.

The guy is lying through his teeth. New Jersey does not have all the crews they could handle.. the 11th day and 85% of my town is without electric and many more towns are without power..it is pathetic!!

The trees were removed within a few days.. and we are still waiting for power here . Try running a generator all night to keep warm for 11 days with no gas in the area! Impossible!

Obama is an inept guy who acts as if he has brains , yet runs this country on auto pilot because he has none!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2012, 12:35 PM
 
Location: USA
5,738 posts, read 5,441,745 times
Reputation: 3669
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
From a previous post of mine:

Why can't anyone see what Obama did?

They are cutting the people they deliberately increased on food stamps in time for the 2012 election. This is from a 2011 post of mine.

Obama is The Food Stamp President not just that a poor economy is causing it. This comes from Tom Vilsack, the Secretary of Agriculture, in his own words on Morning Joe back in August 2011.

"U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack backed a White House claim that food stamps, which the Department of Agriculture administers, actually constitute a stimulus program, describing it as 'the most direct stimulus you can get into the economy during these tough times.' 'The reason the number of recipients has increased is that the federal government has been working more closely with local governments to get more Americans on food stamps,' Vilsack said."

Ag Secretary Vilsack: Food Stamps Stimulate Jobs

What Vilsack and the Obama administration is really doing is making more people dependent on the federal dole to stimulate Democrat voting.


"According to CBO, in the years ahead the share of the population that participates in SNAP will fall back to 2008 levels."

House Agriculture Committee Farm Bill Would Throw 2 to 3 Million People Off of SNAP — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

So to sum it up, put a whole bunch of additional people on food stamp rolls so they vote Democrat to keep their freebies, then cut the same number of people off the food stamp rolls to make it look like you are cutting spending and that it happens AFTER Election Day. Once you are in for your second term, you don't care.

And the news media just rolls over and plays dead.
So a temporary stimulus is bad? Or do you care that much about the poor that the changes should be made permanent?

Elected officials are, in fact, supposed to reflect the wills and wishes of their constituents. Here are two essential arguments to the two presidential candidates, and you can tell me which is more likely to resonate with people:
"You're working class and not doing so well at the moment? Have some food."
"You're working class and not doing so well at the moment? I'll cut taxes for the rich and hope some fraction of the money makes its way to you."

Whether the government should have a role in helping people in this way is up for question, but I'd much prefer to debate this with an actual libertarian instead of a fact-hating fake-fiscal-conservative Republican. I do believe that the government should have a role in stimulating the economy through means like the SNAP program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2012, 12:36 PM
 
Location: USA
5,738 posts, read 5,441,745 times
Reputation: 3669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The guy is lying through his teeth. New Jersey does not have all the crews they could handle.. the 11th day and 85% of my town is without electric and many more towns are without power..it is pathetic!!

The trees were removed within a few days.. and we are still waiting for power here . Try running a generator all night to keep warm for 11 days with no gas in the area! Impossible!

Obama is an inept guy who acts as if he has brains , yet runs this country on auto pilot because he has none!
Stupid power outages, it's all Obama's fault! Last week my toilet got plugged, those idiot Democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2012, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Reputation: 27720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The guy is lying through his teeth. New Jersey does not have all the crews they could handle.. the 11th day and 85% of my town is without electric and many more towns are without power..it is pathetic!!

The trees were removed within a few days.. and we are still waiting for power here . Try running a generator all night to keep warm for 11 days with no gas in the area! Impossible!

Obama is an inept guy who acts as if he has brains , yet runs this country on auto pilot because he has none!
You really think that union guy is going to tell the truth and suffer the fallout ?
My cousin is in NYC and works in the union. Yes, there is funky stuff going on with out of state non union workers that came to help. Oh they are not turning them down, but they are not assigning them work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top