Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 07:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

I see this election as changing nothing. We're BAU..Dem President, Dem Senate and Repub House.
I see the next 4 years being what the last 4 were about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 07:25 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And did they work together before the election ?
well when they do its catstrophic. Obamacare?

Old 11-08-2012, 07:26 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Maybe I'm crazy; I'm not sure. I know many will laugh at this. I just feel that now the election is finally over, and the presidency is set for four more years, I think we might have some decent times ahead for America. The war in Afghanistan is winding down and we'll hopefully have an era of peace around the corner. The economy isn't great, but is showing signs of slowly getting better.

Maybe now that the divisiveness of the election is over, Democrats and Republicans will actually be able to work together again. Time will tell. I just feel oddly optimistic right now and wanted to see if any other feel the same.
Democrats and Republicans will come together for only a few short hours in order to kick the Fiscal Cliff can down the road even further. It's not like the next 45 days will produce an economic solution. It will merely be a short term fix to a long term problem. That's the most we can expect.

Once they come to agreement on a deal, it will be back to business as usual. Four more years of lame leadership and economic stagnation.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
well when they do its catstrophic. Obamacare?
Obamacare was done without the Repubs.

The stimulus though is a good example...more pork projects than anyone could possibly imagine and the USG funded more bankrupt companies in 4 years than ever before.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:28 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,493 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm crazy; I'm not sure. I know many will laugh at this. I just feel that now the election is finally over, and the presidency is set for four more years, I think we might have some decent times ahead for America. The war in Afghanistan is winding down and we'll hopefully have an era of peace around the corner. The economy isn't great, but is showing signs of slowly getting better.

Maybe now that the divisiveness of the election is over, Democrats and Republicans will actually be able to work together again. Time will tell. I just feel oddly optimistic right now and wanted to see if any other feel the same.
A black man in power with nothing to lose? Hell yes.

Most of my liberal friends' biggest complaints about Obama was that he decisively lacked liberal policies. Maybe we'll finally get some of that this term. He doesn't have to worry about re-election anymore. I mean, I can handle another four years of growth. We've had job growth and lowering unemployment for the past three years. The complaint went from "Obama is destroying the economy" to "Obama is holding back the economy." It's getting better under his watch, and the right will try to paint that as a bad thing. "It should be going faster."

Well, this is apparently pretty good according to history; it took ten years to recover from the Great Depression of the '20s. We've had four years--I think we'll I'll stick with it.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Democrats and Republicans will come together for only a few short hours in order to kick the Fiscal Cliff can down the road even further. It's not like the next 45 days will produce an economic solution. It will merely be a short term fix to a long term problem. That's the most we can expect.

Once they come to agreement on a deal, it will be back to business as usual. Four more years of lame leadership and economic stagnation.
Good post. That's exactly how I feel as well. They let this go to the last minute.
None of them want to deal with cuts and taxes. And they won't.
We have this and the debt ceiling to deal with and I think we'll just keep kicking that can down the road and raise the limit to keep us going. Then everyone will forget it exists til it comes around to bite us again. We've been doing this for more than 1 year and I don't expect anything different this time round.

Part of me thinks they leave this til the last minute on purpose just so they have a valid excuse to kick it down the road and put off dealing with it.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:34 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
A black man in power with nothing to lose? Hell yes.

Most of my liberal friends' biggest complaints about Obama was that he decisively lacked liberal policies. Maybe we'll finally get some of that this term. He doesn't have to worry about re-election anymore. I mean, I can handle another four years of growth. We've had job growth and lowering unemployment for the past three years. The complaint went from "Obama is destroying the economy" to "Obama is holding back the economy." It's getting better under his watch, and the right will try to paint that as a bad thing. "It should be going faster."

Well, this is apparently pretty good according to history; it took ten years to recover from the Great Depression of the '20s. We've had four years--I think we'll I'll stick with it.
Uhh....the "nothing to lose" mentality doesn't exist. The President is not a dictator.

BO will get nothing done if he takes that approach. If you don't think the House GOP has the guts to obstruct this President, I think you're sorely mistaken. The past 2 years is your guide.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:42 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
The only time these clowns work together is when a can needs to be kicked closer to the cliff or when the banks come crying wanting more money thrown their way or the rules changed so they can rape the citizens of more wealth.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:54 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,628,733 times
My views are a bit nuanced, and is open to some optimistic possibilities for three reasons:

1) This is Obama's final term and thus he no longer has to pander to the ultra-rich. He can turn to economic policies that will be for the general good.

2) A very large group of CEOs, who recognize that current policies are only favoring the ultra-rich and are therefore very bad for their companies, have come together to pressure both Republican and Democratic representatives to come together and pass some legislation that addresses the deficit by both raising revenues and cutting expenses.

3) Republicans and Democratic candidates are learning that their jobs are not as cushy as they thought if they simply stay with the status quo. There were some real surprises in this election.

The key is how the fiscal cliff is approached. If it is simply kicked down the road again, then it is business as usual. If there is some Simpson-Bole like action, then there is some real cause for optimism. I believe that there is a better than even chance that something meaningful will be done during the next 45 days. There is a real blueprint: e.g. capping deductions while cutting wasteful government spending, particularly in Medicare which is outrageous (we spend almost twice as much on medical care than any other Western nation with nothing to show for it).

Old 11-08-2012, 07:56 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,647 times
Quote:

Nope. More depressed than I have ever been in my 56 years. We're done for, finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies