Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 12:10 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
De Toqueville Society members I know pay that 10 grand to buy themselves a social life. The money is mostly paying for dinner parties and off the chart salaries for agency heads getting the United Way funds.
Ahh! Now a few things make sense. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 12:11 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The poor supported Obama, which will result in the destruction of the nation, altering the lives of everyone in the US forever.

I had previously been a DeToqueville Society member of the United Way, donating fairly substantial sums. I cancelled my donations yesterday. I refuse to provide monetary support to people who destroyed the nation. I guess they can get all thier money from Obama.

I had two scholarships to the local Catholic High School and one to our state university- cancelled. To hell with Obama supporters.
I thought serious philanthropists didn't go around beating their chests about how much money they give?
I'm starting to think you're actually a liberal who's trolling all of us for your pleasure. If so: Kudos, you come up with some pretty funny stuff. If not: You're a nutbag who goes back on his/her word.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:13 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's because you

a) have neglected to call the charity and ask that you be solicited only once a year; and
b) are not keeping track of your own accounting.
No. It is because we gave to the organization in our state and they sold our name to the same organizations in other states. I don't like being taken advantage of and I pretty much think this is happening where the organization is paying a third party to collect. We are finished with them. People who use these people to collect money for them usually end up with a fraction of the money donated.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:15 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Oh. My. God. Quit acting like a two-year old having a tantrum.

The world is NOT going to come to an end because you stopped sending $5 to the United Way.

Get a grip.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:21 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
The poor supported Obama, which will result in the destruction of the nation, altering the lives of everyone in the US forever.

I had previously been a DeToqueville Society member of the United Way, donating fairly substantial sums. I cancelled my donations yesterday. I refuse to provide monetary support to people who destroyed the nation. I guess they can get all thier money from Obama.

I had two scholarships to the local Catholic High School and one to our state university- cancelled. To hell with Obama supporters.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:24 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
You were one of the posters who took the pledge that if Romney lost, you would not post on C-D for seven days.

//www.city-data.com/forum/26723595-post1.html

Yet here you are. Your word obviously means nothing. Why s.hould anyone believe anything you say now?
good point I know that I don't.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:25 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Default No, I won't cancel charitable donations

Quote:

Funny how you call your donations "charitable contributions", just like the 1040 Form.

Organizations we gladly donate money, time or goods to:

Society of St Vincent's de Paul

Disabled American Veterans

St Jude's Children Research Hospital

Sojourner Center in Phoenix-Shelter for abused women and children

Old 11-08-2012, 12:26 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
The OP has a valid point. Now that it is official and the government is going to pay for everybody from here on out giving to charity and paying taxes is double dipping.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:27 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,931 times
Quote:

Most of the poor are children. You really think feeding them is an act of evil? I suppose you're "pro-life."

Old 11-08-2012, 12:27 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:

We thought you weren't going to post for 7 days? What happened?

//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...-will-win.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies