Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 07:37 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,666,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Flat tax would mean the poor would have to pay ,you do not have a grasp of new America
Poor pay nothing are given welfare and food stamps for life while we should tax the evil rich at a 100 percent because their money should be for all to use
lol, what a joke. Tax the evil rich at 100%? Their money should be for all to use? And there you have it folks, an example of Obama voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,367,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Also,

"Boston Scientific anticipates $100 million in additional taxes next year, with layoffs to follow. Medtronic estimates a $175 million loss in 2013 and will cut 1,000 workers. Stryker plans 1,170 job cuts.

Other medical manufacturers will follow: Smith & Nephew, with 770 layoffs; Abbott Labs, 700; Covidien, 595; Kinetic Concepts, 427; St. Jude Medical, 300; Welch Allyn 275; and Hill Rom, 200." [Source]
This is related to the healthcare reform law but not to the employer requirement to provide health insurance.

Part of the ACA package involves a special tax of 2.3 % on revenues of medical device manufacturers. I am all for health care reform and bascially agree with Obamacare but this one aspect is something I think was very foolish. For one thing, taxing revnues as opposed to profits is insane. For another, it hits small startups just starting to see returns on investment to develop innovative products the same as it does the larger mature companies that are so cash rich that they go hunting for small companies to buy up (in some cases taking new technologies that compete with their own and locking them in a dark closet).

Old 11-11-2012, 07:40 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,205,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
They should pay...or forfiet their right to vote. If you're not paying the bill, you shouldn't be making the decision for those who are.

I agree it will never happen. There are too many taking from the system. They outnumber us. But we can vote with our feet. I wonder what will happen if the baby boomers decide to take their retirement incomes and leave the country?

This election has dh and I thinking abot leaving. If not now, at retirement. There are places where we can live better on less where the weather is nice.
With Obama care they can die out faster and then it would be only fair the government take what they have left and help others who could not save

Old 11-11-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
This is related to the healthcare reform law but not to the employer requirement to provide health insurance.

Part of the ACA package involves a special tax of 2.3 % on revenues of medical device manufacturers. I am all for health care reform and bascially agree with Obamacare but this one aspect is something I think was very foolish. For one thing, taxing revnues as opposed to profits is insane. For another, it hits small startups just starting to see returns on investment to develop innovative products the same as it does the larger mature companies that are so cash rich that they go hunting for small companies to buy up (in some cases taking new technologies that compete with their own and locking them in a dark closet).
They are just rich whiners and think the more they lay off the more democratic voters there are needing food stamps and welfare , so the evil rich will just allow more on food stamps and democats

Old 11-11-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
With Obama care they can die out faster and then it would be only fair the government take what they have left and help others who could not save
Yep with the death panels they will so if you are old or when you get old, remember Obamacare was designed this way. But don't forget there are allot of druggies and even cigarette smokers, they will find that they too will be let go. Think of the way you lead your life now. If you needed a liver or a heart transplant you have to be qualified, meaning no smoking, no other health issues, if you qualify you are put on the list. The question is

Will you qualify?

Old 11-11-2012, 08:03 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
I must say it's kind of amusing to read the indignation, disbelief, shock and anger that's been expressed on these boards the last few days, as more and more companies announce lay-offs/hour reductions.

Didn't ANYONE on the left pay attention to the bill? I mean, we know those that voted on it didn't read it...but come on now. It's been over a year, and you've had plenty of warning (from the right mostly) about these 'unintended consequences'. Did you think it was just made-up fear mongering? Did you think companies will just absorb additional costs??

Truly...why are some sooooo surprised??
Tell me with credible links, which companies have already laid people off due to Obamacare? Not which companies PLAN TO lay people off, etc, but which have actually done it, or have plans in place.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:06 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
I think many on the left are just not exposed to the 'business side' of business.

They have a job at a university, or with government, or are a union worker, or work for a large company, and they may be even somewhat, anti-business. They haven't seen the books, or even heard about trying to keep the cash-flow, or anything else, balanced. They don't know the owner may be the last to be paid, if he's lucky, etc, etc. What shocks me is when a SMALL business owner is on the left! I have met one - though he was also a retired policeman from Chicago (first! ).

And I think they so badly want their 'pie in the sky' -- they think it is just so 'right' -- it just has to happen, come hell or high water. So they are a bit taken by the ensuing hell and high water.....
Posts like this just show that the RW has no grip at all.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
They are just rich whiners and think the more they lay off the more democratic voters there are needing food stamps and welfare , so the evil rich will just allow more on food stamps and democats
Obama -> and in a downward spiral we go.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yep with the death panels they will so if you are old or when you get old, remember Obamacare was designed this way. But don't forget there are allot of druggies and even cigarette smokers, they will find that they too will be let go. Think of the way you lead your life now. If you needed a liver or a heart transplant you have to be qualified, meaning no smoking, no other health issues, if you qualify you are put on the list. The question is

Will you qualify?
No I'm one of the evil old white guys so it matters little

Old 11-11-2012, 08:13 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Tell me with credible links, which companies have already laid people off due to Obamacare? Not which companies PLAN TO lay people off, etc, but which have actually done it, or have plans in place.
The "plan" announcements are part of the WARN Act.
Companies have to announce ahead of time if they are laying off.

This is a government ruling to protect workers so they are not caught by surprise when the layoffs start happening.

They are just following government mandates here.

This is a good site to follow for those announcements and then the actual layoffs.

Daily Job Cuts - Layoff News , Job Layoffs 2012 / 2011 , Bankruptcy, Store closings, Business Economy News

here's a link to the WARN Act:
http://www.dol.gov/compliance/laws/comp-warn.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies