Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2012, 06:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
A bit disingenuous to say 19% of Americans put Obama back into office. Popular vote was 51% towards Obama, and considering the storm which crushed several New England States, it may have been higher. But with some 120 million voters having cast their ballots, it's safe to say that 51% of the remaining 60 million registered voters would have voted for Obama--that's how statistics work.

And to include everyone in the United States in your 19% number? You have the intellectual integrity of Jerry Falwell.
What's safe to say is that we've finally hit the tipping point. Yippeeee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 06:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
A bit disingenuous to say 19% of Americans put Obama back into office. Popular vote was 51% towards Obama, and considering the storm which crushed several New England States, it may have been higher. But with some 120 million voters having cast their ballots, it's safe to say that 51% of the remaining 60 million registered voters would have voted for Obama--that's how statistics work.

And to include everyone in the United States in your 19% number? You have the intellectual integrity of Jerry Falwell.
Not really if you do the math.

180 million registered voters
59 million voted for Obama
That's 30% of registered voters
59 million is 19% of the population

I've seen posts saying 52% of Americans voted for Obama and that is not what happened.

If anything those low numbers point out the apathy that is sweeping America when it comes to elections.

I've seen local election results with percentages in the single digits.

So, it's not that Obama was that popular; it was that Americans were that apathetic.
But I give credit to the Dems for getting people to the polls. I've read of 99% and 100% voter turnout in Dem districts/cities.
They did a good job of getting the word out and people energized.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:42 AM

469 posts, read 913,466 times
Our company told us before the election that we were to expect lay offs. At best, we will convert some to part time and pay a $1.50 per hr stipend in leu of benefits.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:43 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]

You can look the rest up yourself.

Really? your sources show groupon that is no where near its projections of profit, needing to reduce expenses because they are going broke. Boeing is triming the fat because they know there will be reduced spending in their sector, a battery company streamlining to become more profitable... Only one source is directly related to Obamacare and it is an unanmed company, making unnamed widgets with hispanic workers... sounds to me like a retaliation for the way the vote went, not based on actual costs. Since the plan has not fully implemented and won't until 2014 how is it these businesses are facing such horrid choices now?

Your argument makes no sense and your links do not support your arguments. Yet another soured grapes thread.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:44 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

I've seen posts saying 52% of Americans voted for Obama and that is not what happened.

If anything those low numbers point out the apathy that is sweeping America when it comes to elections.

So, it's not that Obama was that popular; it was that Americans were that apathetic.
But I give credit to the Dems for getting people to the polls. I've read of 99% and 100% voter turnout in Dem districts/cities.
So does Black Friday, pretty much for the same reasons I'd bet.Gotta get the "free" doorbuster deals right?

Old 11-12-2012, 07:05 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,838 times
Quote:

Again--disingenuous to say 19%. Deliberate skewing of reality here for political purposes.

The full 100% of the population is not eligible to vote. I'll accept your numbers that 180 million people are registered to vote--if you have census date to substantiate that number, please do--and 120 million showed to vote. 51% of the voters--not just eligible voters but those who voted--elected the president. Not 19%, not 30%. 51%.

And, because 120 million people is an incredibly granular sample, we can reasonably estimate that 51% of the 60 million registered voters who did not vote would also have voted for Obama.

It's incredibly disingenuous to say 19% of Americans elected the President.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:13 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Again--disingenuous to say 19%. Deliberate skewing of reality here for political purposes.

The full 100% of the population is not eligible to vote. I'll accept your numbers that 180 million people are registered to vote--if you have census date to substantiate that number, please do--and 120 million showed to vote. 51% of the voters--not just eligible voters but those who voted--elected the president. Not 19%, not 30%. 51%.

And, because 120 million people is an incredibly granular sample, we can reasonably estimate that 51% of the 60 million registered voters who did not vote would also have voted for Obama.

It's incredibly disingenuous to say 19% of Americans elected the President.
Yes, 2010 census data. I also saw 207 million and 229 million post 2010 but not from the .gov site.

Look, I'm fine if you say over 50% of the registered voters picked Obama.
That is the truth.

But posters were saying over 50% of Americans voted for Obama.
That just isn't true and I used those numbers to make my point that no, 50% of Americans did not vote for Obama.

Face it..those voting numbers are small. 30% of registered voters decided the fate for the next 4 years.
That is a pathetic number and only highlights the apathy that is settling over America.

You keep saying that those that didn't vote would have voted for Obama..wishful thinking.
The FACT is that they didn't bother voting at all. I could have cared less who they voted for.

Don't take my post as a disgruntled Repub because I didn't vote for either of the two.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:22 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
Of course 51% Americans voted for Obama, the other 51% were illegal aliens, the remaining 51% were bussed in Canadians.

GOP math brought to you by the lower school of non thought.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:26 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,838 times
Quote:
Yes, 2010 census data. I also saw 207 million and 229 million post 2010 but not from the .gov site.

Look, I'm fine if you say over 50% of the registered voters picked Obama.
That is the truth.

But posters were saying over 50% of Americans voted for Obama.
That just isn't true and I used those numbers to make my point that no, 50% of Americans did not vote for Obama.

Face it..those voting numbers are small. 30% of registered voters decided the fate for the next 4 years.
That is a pathetic number and only highlights the apathy that is settling over America.
Even if we had 100% turnout, there is no reason to suspect we would have anything different than 51\48 Obama. 120 million people in our sample is more than sufficient to make that call.

So you can complain about lower voter turnout, but to suggest it would be different isn't supported by statistical analysis.

Quote:
You keep saying that those that didn't vote would have voted for Obama..wishful thinking.[
The FACT is that they didn't bother voting at all. I could have cared less who they voted for.
I said 51% of those who didn't vote statistically would have voted for Obama, and 48% would have voted for Romney, and 1% for your heart-throb Ron Paul and others.

51% of voters decided to go with the President, and you don't get to write that off as a smear campaign by suggest the President is wildly unpopular because only 30% of people voted for him. It's just outright intellectual dishonest.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:30 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Not to mention those medical devices will now cost more to the consumer. So, who's really paying the tax?
Is there any tax, fee, or other cost of business that is NOT ultimately passed on to the consumer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies