Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 10:05 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
"There are larger businesses already announcing layoffs, as well. Among those doing so just in the 48 hours since President Obama was reelected are:

Westinghouse, Research in Motion Ltd., Lightyear Network Solutions, Providence Journal, Hawker Beechcraft, Boeing, CVPH Medical Center, ING,Momentive Performance Materials, Husqvarna, SRA International, Darden Restaurants,, Rocketdyne, and Rockwell Collins."

Also,

"Boston Scientific anticipates $100 million in additional taxes next year, with layoffs to follow. Medtronic estimates a $175 million loss in 2013 and will cut 1,000 workers. Stryker plans 1,170 job cuts.

Other medical manufacturers will follow: Smith & Nephew, with 770 layoffs; Abbott Labs, 700; Covidien, 595; Kinetic Concepts, 427; St. Jude Medical, 300; Welch Allyn 275; and Hill Rom, 200." [Source]
The really, really scary thing about this post and others on this thread is that we're ALREADY SHORT 10's of millions of jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 10:07 PM

27,138 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
A lot of defense contractors were told to hold up layoffs until after the election. The full ramifications of obamacare are just starting to ripple. The disaster is just beginning. Wait until our credit rating is hit again when these fools raise the debt ceiling to spend more money.

Our credit rating reduced twice in the history of such ratings, both times under the current Administration.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:07 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
You obviously have never worked in upper management of a corporation. They just don't come in to work one day and say lets lay people off. For announcements to have come in this week, they would have had to plan for it months in advance. There are all types of legal requirements that must be met and they would have done the analysis well before the election.

To get a correlation you would have to show the layoffs happened months afterwards, but still that would only be a correlation and does not get you to causation. To understand the difference between correlation and Causation, I have cited something with a slideshow that may help you out. It is very basic. If you need something easier, I can probably find something with fruit in it.

Correlation VS Causation

The objective of a business is profit. Planning ahead with ready plans for all consequence's is how a business survives.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:09 PM

27,138 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Isn't a defense contractor just an employee of the Gov't, i mean what Joe is going to buy some military weapons or a b52 bomber.

They contract with governments all around the world, not just the U.S..

Old 11-08-2012, 10:57 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Regardless, it is still a company that employs people. People that may own home, people that have families and ,ouths to feed, people who may have kids in college, people who were previously laid off from another job and this was all they could find...
It.Employs.People.

People who might rent rooms in SRO flophouses...

Old 11-09-2012, 12:05 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
The really, really scary thing about this post and others on this thread is that we're ALREADY SHORT 10's of millions of jobs.
Yeah really. I care more about having a job than I do having health insurance. I was on unemployment once and will never take a handout from the government again. I got so depressed from the helpless and hopeless feeling that resulted from my taking a hand out that I almost tried suicide. I am much happier working.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:51 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
So how do these companies plan to make money if they don't have anyone to do work?

Old 11-09-2012, 07:06 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,223,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I saw two that said that and not the big ones. If there is a problem with Obamacare and business costs, I am all in favor of Obama's original plan...Universal Health Care. Take all of the costs away from employers. Obamacare was a very poor compromise. Lets go full monty and go straight for UHC. This will make companies more competitive internationally. You on board?
You're trying your best to spin this, but I'm not biting. It doesn't matter what you or I want. What the people voted for, by re-electing Obama, is Obamacare - like it or not.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:09 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,223,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
The objective of a business is profit. Planning ahead with ready plans for all consequence's is how a business survives.
Bingo!

Another company laying off:

Utah company blames President Obama for 102 workers laid off

"The layoffs at the West Ridge Mine are effective immediately, according to UtahAmerican Energy Inc., a subsidiary of Murray Energy Corp. They were announced in a short statement made public Thursday, two days after Obama won re-election.

The layoffs are necessary because of the president's "war on coal," the statement said. The slogan is one used frequently during the election by Murray Energy CEO Robert Murray, who was an ardent supporter of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney.

In its statement, UtahAmerican Energy blames the Obama administration for instituting policies that will close down "204 American coal-fired power plants by 2014" and for drastically reducing the market for coal."

Old 11-09-2012, 07:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
So how do these companies plan to make money if they don't have anyone to do work?
LOL..they didn't fire everybody. You must have missed something back there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies