Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 10:02 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I would agree with this 100% except that marriage is not simply a religious practice so homosexuals don't have the same rights in this country, until we take the government out of all marriage (which I support) there are no equal rights.

The government is showing no signs out getting out of marriage, there are many who wish to define it in the US constitution, states have already put it in their constitutions for these people, the fact that these same people call themselves conservatives, and talk about decreased government would be laughable if the situation weren't so appalling.
There needs to be a legal agreement that gives partners the rights of married people but I don't think the government needs to recognize marriage at all. My marriage is before God. If dh and I divorce, legally, for tax purposes, I'll still consider us married.

Actually, I wish we had the rights of a gay couple. Gay couples can be unmarried (avoiding the marriage penalty tax) AND cover each other on an employers health insurance. If dh and I could have done that we wouldn't be, legally, married and we would have saved a bunch of taxes over the years.

To the government, marriage is a legal agreement. I don't think they should care who decides to make this agreement.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:06 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I've noticed that a lot of local Christians are strongly in favor of same-sex marriage.

One thing that must be understood is a lot of people discard reason when an issue that triggers strong emotions arises. For them to be Christian and still support gay marriage is not a problem, because, uh, Jesus said to love everybody, and you can't LOVE a person if you won't let them "marry" whomever they want, right, and plus, uh, Jesus said to not judge, right?
Yes, I know many Christians who take a live and let live approach and support gay marriage. Unfortunately, there are some who feel they have there right to not only tell others how to live, they even want to legislate discrimination.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:09 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
There needs to be a legal agreement that gives partners the rights of married people but I don't think the government needs to recognize marriage at all. My marriage is before God. If dh and I divorce, legally, for tax purposes, I'll still consider us married.

Actually, I wish we had the rights of a gay couple. Gay couples can be unmarried (avoiding the marriage penalty tax) AND cover each other on an employers health insurance. If dh and I could have done that we wouldn't be, legally, married and we would have saved a bunch of taxes over the years.

To the government, marriage is a legal agreement. I don't think they should care who decides to make this agreement.
The majority of gay couples in the US cannot cover each other on their health care plans, that is only true in a few places. Most also can't make medical decisions for their partners, adopt together, or have any of the legal rights married couples do.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:11 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,817,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
Where to begin?

First off, I've just perused your posts from today. Given your dozens of posts in threads like this one, "When did homosexuality become declassified as a disorder?", "Flags flown upside down", "What song is playing in your head" and "90s boy bands", I can see that the economy is paramount to you...

Second, the DJIA rises and it falls. Mostly it rises. Under most Presidents, anyway. Under this President it is up 5000 points since he took office. That's a very good thing. My 401k and Roth certainly approve. In fact, the only President since Hoover to preside over a DJIA that closed lower on his last day in office was George W. Bush.

Third, Petraeus having an affair and resigning really has you that worried?

Fourth, I've told you before that the Keystone Pipeline is nowhere near Alaska.

Fifth, Boeing is most certainly not laying off 30% of its workers. You are a very misinformed individual. Some might accuse you of dishonesty, but I don't think so. You just seem confused and not well-versed with reality.

Maybe you should pick up a newspaper, and spend less time posting in threads about "90s boy bands". Just a thought.

Now, let's try and drag this thread back on topic, and away from your "OH NOEZ, THE MAYANS WERE RIGHT!" meltdown:

Which state do you think will be the first in 2013 to legalize same-sex marriage?

My prediction: Illinois

Anyone?
How 'bout this?

I don't need a stalker you freakbag!

Get off my ass!

Second...your posts are bullsh*t!

The DJIA was up 133 points before the election. It fell 273 points down the day after.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:18 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,817,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
Where to begin?

First off, I've just perused your posts from today. Given your dozens of posts in threads like this one, "When did homosexuality become declassified as a disorder?", "Flags flown upside down", "What song is playing in your head" and "90s boy bands", I can see that the economy is paramount to you...

Second, the DJIA rises and it falls. Mostly it rises. Under most Presidents, anyway. Under this President it is up 5000 points since he took office. That's a very good thing. My 401k and Roth certainly approve. In fact, the only President since Hoover to preside over a DJIA that closed lower on his last day in office was George W. Bush.

Third, Petraeus having an affair and resigning really has you that worried?

Fourth, I've told you before that the Keystone Pipeline is nowhere near Alaska.

Fifth, Boeing is most certainly not laying off 30% of its workers. You are a very misinformed individual. Some might accuse you of dishonesty, but I don't think so. You just seem confused and not well-versed with reality.

Maybe you should pick up a newspaper, and spend less time posting in threads about "90s boy bands". Just a thought.

Now, let's try and drag this thread back on topic, and away from your "OH NOEZ, THE MAYANS WERE RIGHT!" meltdown:

Which state do you think will be the first in 2013 to legalize same-sex marriage?

My prediction: Illinois

Anyone?
A damn stalker who can't read......

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...yoffs-1-a.html

You can catch up on my posts in the gunroom you freak!

Old 11-09-2012, 10:36 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,156 times
Quote:
Snort. There are many employers that don't offer domestic partner benefits. The fed itself doesn't. Of course, you'd also have to worry about a whole host of other things like your lack of legal rights if something happened to your spouse, etc. The list is quite long actually.

As for the topic at hand. I'm not particularly religious but I'm extremely bothered anytime I see one Christian tell another Christian what they should and should not believe; what is and is not right.

Christianity and all its forms is a bit like a Baskin Robbins. Don't like vanilla? Look around, you'll find a flavor that better suits you. Believe dancing is immoral? You can find that. Believe drinking is? Eating shrimp, divorce is okay and dancing? You can find all that in one practiced version or another.

Christianity is an ever changing religion. The immorality arguments have been used against many different groups of people over the years. I know older Christians who still believe the Bible says interracial marriage is wrong. You could certainly argue that's true just as you can argue it's BS. It all depends on what you choose to believe.

Last but not least, because this is a pet peeve of mine, marriage, bonding, joinings, or whatever else you want to call it predates modern religion including Christianity. Marriage in many forms has been going on long before God of the Bible came along.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,533 times
Quote:
A lot of employers don't cover gay couples actually. Even in my state (California) which has civil unions you can't necessarily get health insurance for a spouse. Also, if you do get insurance you have to pay federal taxes on it, which can be pretty expensive. Google (which is based in California) actually pays gay employees extra if they have a spouse on their insurance to make up the difference.

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I had to correct this incorrect info.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:56 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Jesus said to not judge, right?
Yes, but people don't know what that word means anymore. It means to execute judgement. To enforce punishment. That is reserved for God alone.

But liberals today use the word judge in regards to Christians "warning" people. We are telling them what God's opinion as stated in the Bible is.

Warning does NOT equal judging.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:06 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Yes, but people don't know what that word means anymore. It means to execute judgement. To enforce punishment. That is reserved for God alone.
So, you're saying that it means the opposite of what you claim Jesus said? You say that Jesus said don't judge and that means to judge but not punish?

Quote:
But liberals today use the word judge in regards to Christians "warning" people. We are telling them what God's opinion as stated in the Bible is.
Where does the NT tell us to warn people? I thought that we were supposed to use a carrot rather than a stick.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:27 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Really? Great! Then stop advocating for gay marriage to be legal.

Don't you realize that when something is legal in this republic - it is because the citizens of a particular district accept or support the concept that is behind the law?

You are asking me to condone your lifestyle choice - and place the force of law behind that support.

What do you want? You can't have it both ways. If acceptance of others is not required, then you should have no problem with existing marriage law in Missisipppi.
So I guess you accept every other legal marriage? Murderers can legally marry. Child molesters can legally marry. I'm glad you personally are accepting of those people.

Marriage laws in Mississippi will be changing when scotus says, just like they changed with loving v. Virginia. Besides once doma falls it won't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies