Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2012, 08:26 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,706,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
"Gay marriage" is an impossibility. It's incapable by definition of ever existing.
That makes absolutely no sense. It already exists, and has existed for thousands of years. It may not fit your definition of marriage, but your definition does not apply to everyone.

Quote:
By the way no Christian supports gay marriage. Any one who says they do is not, once again, "by definiton", objectively, not a Christian. No one who claims to follow Christ can support that such a scandalous act should be publicly recognized.
Jesus said not a word about gays or same-sex marriage. Clearly you must worship Paul or the Old Testament laws. Hope you don't mind God judging you for your hatred and ignorance.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:28 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,952,851 times
Quote:
"Gay marriage" is an impossibility. It's incapable by definition of ever existing.
By whose definition? I think society can define the state contract of marriage to include homosexuals. As a matter of fact some states have already defined it so. Your statement is only valid in terms of Christian doctrine and thus Christian marriage ceremony and acknowledgment.

Quote:
By the way no Christian supports gay marriage. Any one who says they do is not, once again, "by definiton", objectively, not a Christian. No one who claims to follow Christ can support that such a scandalous act should be publicly recognized.
Again what you say is true in a religious context. But from a civic context not so because it is the same thing as a Christian saying they support the right to worship idols not being synonymous with saying they support idolatry. In the civic sense you are conflating the right to do a thing with the morality of doing that thing. If you support freedom of religion then you support the right to worship Satan. And you supporting that right does not mean you support Satan worship. So when a Christian says they support gay marriage you have to distinguish between the right to engage in and the morality of. Most Christians who say they do are talking about supporting the right, not supporting the idea of it being morally ok.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:31 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,819,990 times
A Christian who supports SSM is not a Christian.

It's that simple.

Same Sex Marriage is an abomination!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero
Hope you don't mind God judging you for your hatred and ignorance.
Calling a behavior sin is not in and of itself hatred of an individual. Jesus called lots of human behavior sin but it didn't mean he hated the individuals whose behavior he called sinful. This notion of calling homosexual behavior sin automatically equating to hate is a complete fallacy.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post

It's that simple.

It is an abomination but supporting the state right to same sex marriage is no different from supporting freedom of religion. Do you support freedom of religion? Idolatry is an abomination.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:37 PM

9,858 posts, read 11,868,701 times
This again... what is the "harm" of gay marriage? None really that I can see. What is the harm in allowing more than two individuals to marry? None that I can see. If "marriage" between any two people regardless of gender is equally valid then so should be "marriage" between three or even four individuals, regardless of gender. No more than eight though. Why eight? I don't know, it just seems like a right number to set as a limit. I'll support Gay Marriage when Gay's support "marriage for all" not just uptight monogamist wannabee's who likely won't be able to truly pull it off anyway. Every same sex couple of my experience has done a certain amount of polyamorous conjugation. This completely flies in the face of what marriage is supposed to be about. So be it. Lets keep the hypocrisy to a dull roar, however. Four or more people in a committed union have a much better chance of keeping their vows of fidelity and commitment within the parameters of the marriage union. Human hardwiring being what it is, lifelong monogamy between only two people... ... I suppose it happens now and then... ...

H

Old 11-19-2012, 08:42 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,167,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
This again... what is the "harm" of gay marriage? None really that I can see. What is the harm in allowing more than two individuals to marry? None that I can see. If "marriage" between any two people regardless of gender is equally valid then so should be "marriage" between three or even four individuals, regardless of gender. No more than eight though. Why eight? I don't know, it just seems like a right number to set as a limit. I'll support Gay Marriage when Gay's support "marriage for all" not just uptight monogamist wannabee's who likely won't be able to truly pull it off anyway. Every same sex couple of my experience has done a certain amount of polyamorous conjugation. This completely flies in the face of what marriage is supposed to be about. So be it. Lets keep the hypocrisy to a dull roar, however. Four or more people in a committed union have a much better chance of keeping their vows of fidelity and commitment within the parameters of the marriage union. Human hardwiring being what it is, lifelong monogamy between only two people... ... I suppose it happens now and then... ...

H
if you wish to discuss supporting polygamy, start a new thread. Your post is off topic.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:59 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,283,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Jesus was actually concerned with ALL behavior that is sinful and thus goes against God. The evangelical right hypocritically ignores some of the teachings of Christianity in the context of using government to force them on the masses but people who want to divorce the sin of homosexuality from the Christian teachings to abstain from sin make basically the same mistake. Sin is sin no matter what society does and does not permit in a civic context. Homosexuality is no less a sin just because the religious right hypocritically harps on it while letting other sins slide in government enforcement or excusing The government from doing the Christian good works relating to the poor that Christ commanded. Their hypocrisy in civic implementation does not negate their validity in calling homosexuality immoral and sinful based on God's word.

There's no such thing as sin, because something being a "sin" presupposes that there's a divine prohibition against same. Whether the sin or prohibition is absurd (no mixing of fabrics or eating lobster or working on Sunday), or worthwhile (no murder, stealing, etc.).

Sin is a made up concept used to keep weak minded and weak willed individuals in line... those individuals who lack an internal moral compass and need external pressure - divine retribution in death - to keep from doing bad things to themselves or others.

The only moral code one needs is some hybrid version of the Golden Rule and the harm principle.

It is IMMORAL to deny gays and lesbians their rights as free citizens to marry each other. It causes GREAT HARM to gay people, their children and their families. Yet, religious people are incapable - or don't care - of seeing life through this paradigm, because the Bible gives them the "out" they need to be wretched and act out their individual prejudices towards others under the guise of enforcing a Bible-based morality.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:05 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,706,430 times
Quote:

It's that simple.

So is wearing cotton and polyester and working on Saturdays.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:07 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,835,258 times
Quote:

It's that simple.

Ah yes, its the "I'm more Christian than you!" line of reasoning. Where were you yesterday when we poked that theory full of holes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies