Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Puerto Rico should become U.S. 51st state?
Yes, statehood for Puerto Rico! 17 58.62%
No, leave it as territory (like now) 6 20.69%
Puerto Rico should become its own nation 6 20.69%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2012, 08:31 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,580,361 times

Advertisements

Puerto Rican's for the first time are in favor of becoming U.S. state.

Puerto Rico has been a territory in the U.S. for over a century, and Spanish (along with English) are official languages, although Spanish is the dominant and main language spoken on the island.

Should Puerto Rico become a U.S. State? Why (not)?

Please discuss

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/07/politi...ico/index.html
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 08:36 PM

I say NO

Reasons:

* It's Spanish-speaking (including their road signs) while rest of America is English.
* The U.S. flag would change (new star added - don't like the new flag for 51 states)
* For many decades, we got used with 50 states.
* Puerto Rico is developing with high unemployment rate (would be highest in the U.S.)
* Puerto Ricans have more in common with rest of Caribbean than us.
* We would have to give them lots of aid

Old 11-08-2012, 08:38 PM

6,743 posts, read 8,522,620 times
If that is what they want, I think go for it. I was stationed at Roosevelt Roads for a while and really enjoyed my stay.
Sure there are some that want to be their own nation, but the same thing can be said about Texas.

True, many of them either don't speak English, or limited English, but the same thing can be said about California.

It is a beautiful state, wonderful beaches and el yunkte (sp?) rain forest is an excellent hike.

Lots of great history there all the way back to Columbus, some fabulous old Spanish forts. Good food, super snorkling and diving, a real destination for people looking for great hotels and dining,

Once you get outside of San Juan, it is a really cool place.

If they want to become a State, I think it would be a good addition to the USA.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Sure there are some that want to be their own nation, but the same thing can be said about Texas.

True, many of them either don't speak English, or limited English, but the same thing can be said about California.
Texas has been a state since long time ago. Both TX and CA's road signs are in English, so it's a difference from Puerto Rico. Most CA and TX people speak English, while most PR don't.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:43 PM

29,183 posts, read 22,206,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
I say NO

Reasons:

* It's Spanish-speaking (including their road signs) while rest of America is English.
* The U.S. flag would change (new star added - don't like the new flag for 51 states)
* Puerto Rico is developing with high unemployment rate (would be highest in the U.S.)
Adding 2 stars looked very odd to all those folks who were completely used to seeing 48, but we adapted soon enough. That's a mighty weak reason for refusing admission to the Union.

All the rest of your reasons don't hold water either. Puerto Rico has been a U.S. territory for over 100 years. If they want in, let 'em in. We can always use some fresh blood here. Same goes for the U.S. Virgin Islands and Guam.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:45 PM

6,743 posts, read 8,522,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
I say NO

Reasons:

1) So what? The road signs are in both English and Spanish, and at this time English isn't the official language of the US.
2) The flag has changed numerous times, no big deal
3) I wonder if the original 13 states said the same thing?
4) There is high unemployment in many states, look at the national rate, that's a problem we all have.
5) They are a Caribbian Island yes, but Hawaii is Polynisian with a lot of Japanese living there, Alaska has more in common in many ways with Canada than the lower 48, again, so what? Each state has it's own flavor.
6) How many times have New York or California or Louisiana received aid? Part of what makes this country strong is supporting the other states and Puerto Rico is already an American Commonwealth so we already send aid to them as well as a lot of countrys we don't have good relations with. Puerto Ricans are American Citizens now, so why not let them vote and pay taxes as well?

Old 11-09-2012, 07:13 AM

Need more opinion....

Old 11-09-2012, 07:18 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,179,299 times
They're US citizens, living in a US territory, with no right to vote over national policies that directly impact them. Do you think that's fair or right? Good grief on the Spanish thing--I live in Nebraska, and if I run into Lincoln or Omaha I hear just about as much Spanish as English in the grocery stores, and most of the signs are bilingual--get over it. America isn't a white anglo saxon protestant majority any more...

Old 11-09-2012, 07:23 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,837,510 times
As a Puerto Rican from Puerto Rico originally, I'm on the fence. However:

-We've been with you since 1898. The "threat" of Spanish permeating US society is not coming from us, but from the sovereign nation to the south of the US, ironically speaking
-The World War II generation alive right now and recently deceased were born and raised when the US flag had 48 and 49 stars and can remember Hawaii and Alaska being admitted to the union and the flag changing
-Again, your parents/grandparents were used to less than 50 stars on the US flag for a long time
-Same with California
-Not true
-You already do, little would change in that regard

By the way, we shed our blood alongside northern European Americans in World War I, World War II, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq I, Iraq II, and Afghanistan. My family served in World War II and Korea so don't make suggestions that we're not as American as you because we speak Spanish we are also among the top for sending our boys into battle, so don't insinuate we're lesser Americans than you because we speak Spanish We've spilled our share of blood on the American flag to earn the right to be just as American as the rest of you!

Old 11-09-2012, 07:29 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,427,017 times
Language shouldn't be an issue. My ancestors (grandparents) suffered because of language discrimination. After the Civil War was over, Union troops were determined to wipe out the French language in south Louisiana. The new state government even made it against state law to use French. What made things worse were the teachers brought here to force students to speak English. Some teachers would literally "beat" students. Some of the beatings were with fist, slaps, paddles, and whips (belts or bullwhips). Sometimes if a student would speak a word of French in class, teachers would grab the the student by the hair and snatch the head back violently. It was so emotionally traumatizing that my grandparents and parents would not teach us their French. They used it as a secret language amongst themselves. So they speak Spanish, big deal. How many Hawaiians or Alaskans didn't speak English when it became a state? As a territory, the citizens have a right to vote on statehood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies