Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:54 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,416,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
And that it messes up Jr's little war in Iraq is just the icing on the cake.
if you dont keep our troops over there fed / armed / supplied THEY DIE!

70% of our troops supplies go through turkey. I dont want to have my family members that are currently serving over there to DIE because congress cant get real work done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 11:57 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,416,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Uhmmm Whats it got to do with the USA? That said why is it our elected officials who have bigger problems that they have yet to address are wasteing their time on a long dead issue that cant be undone? So many promises and so little follow through.
Alterantive fuel?
Ending a war?
Lowering the debt?
Education?
Remember these topics these are but a few that were used to get these guys elected. But what do they dwell on? Someone elses business.
As for the Canada analogy? It didn't happen, couldn't happen and if it did we would kick Canada's azz for it.
I sent a letter to my congressman stating that I will not reelect any standing member of congress due to these types of votes. Non-binding resolutions are just as good as me stating in a public area that "I like cheese" it means absolutly nothing. and they are spending millions of our dollars to declare that.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:33 AM

989 posts, read 2,761,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
if you don't keep our troops over there fed / armed / supplied THEY DIE!

70% of our troops supplies go through turkey. I don't want to have my family members that are currently serving over there to DIE because congress cant get real work done.
*sorry, I spell checked your stuff*

How pathetic would it be if the President was so stubborn that he refused to bring troops home and let them starve instead? It wouldn't even be an issue...ever hear of "re-routing?"

Since 70% or so of Americans want the troops to come home, maybe they can compromise and let the 70% of troops that are supplied through Turkey return home. BTW, dozens of other countries have done similar resolutions... we are hardly alone. At this point, not declaring the genocide to have happened is akin to a resolution stating the Holocaust was a hoax.

Also....

This is a HELL of a lot more relevant than the President's "Midnight flight to Washington" to sign the (then) Republican Senate's bill to save the brain-dead Terry Schiavo.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:51 AM

44 posts, read 35,664 times
It's interesting how the Neocons like to chide about how we need to get Ahmadinejad because he's a Holocaust denier, but criticism of Turkey, who are the perpetrators of genocide in addition to its deniers, are not a worthy target of criticism. So much for consistency...

Old 10-12-2007, 01:41 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
The European Union could put pressure on Turkey to admit the genocide? If Turkey wants full membership the EU they need to admit to their crimes against the Armenian people. The dems don't need to waffle on this either passing second resolution. As far as it's not the right time to bring this matter up. It's all about appeasing the large Armenian American population. . Poor George he's so disappointed.

Lots of info in the entire article.
Clips:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/11/wa...nt&oref=slogin
Turkish officials and lawmakers warned that if the resolution was approved by the full House, they would reconsider supporting the American war effort, which includes permission to ship essential supplies through Turkey and northern Iraq.
The resolution was introduced early in the current session of Congress and has quietly moved forward over the last few weeks. But it provoked a fierce lobbying fight that pitted the politically influential Armenian-American population against the Turkish government, which hired equally influential former lawmakers like Robert L. Livingston, Republican of Louisiana, and Richard A. Gephardt, the former Democratic House majority leader, who backed a similar resolution when he was in Congress.
“Despite President George Bush twisting arms and making deals, justice prevailed,” said Representative Brad Sherman, a Democrat of California and a sponsor of the resolution. “For if we hope to stop future genocides we need to admit to those horrific acts of the past.”
Ronald Reagan was the only president publicly to call the killings genocide, but his successors have avoided the term.

... in 2000, a similar resolution also won approval by a House committee, but President Clinton then succeeded in persuading ...Hastert, to withdraw the measure before the full House could vote. That time, too, Turkey had warned of canceling arms deals and withdrawing support for American air forces then patrolling northern Iraq under the auspices of the United Nations.

...Nancy Pelosi, faced pressure from Democrats — especially colleagues in California, New Jersey and Michigan, with their large Armenian populations — to revive the resolution again ...

The sharply worded Turkish warnings against the resolution, especially the threats to cut off support for the American war in Iraq, seemed to embolden some of the resolution’s supporters. “If they use this to destabilize our solders in Iraq, well, then shame on them,” said Representative Joseph Crowley, a Democrat from New York who voted for it.
In what appeared to be an effort to temper the anger caused by the issue, Democrats said they were considering a parallel resolution that would praise Turkey’s close relations with the United States even as the full House prepares to consider a resolution that blames the forerunner of modern Turkey for one of the worst crimes in history.

“Neither of these resolutions is necessary,” a White House spokesman, Gordon D. Johndroe, said Wednesday evening. He said that Mr. Bush was “very disappointed” with the vote.

Turkey severed military ties with France after its Parliament voted in 2006 to make the denial of the Armenian genocide a crime.
Representative Mike Pence, ...
“While this is still the right position,” Mr. Pence said, referring to the use of the term genocide, “it is not the right time.”

Old 10-12-2007, 02:42 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDARE Reader View Post
It's interesting how the Neocons like to chide about how we need to get Ahmadinejad because he's a Holocaust denier, but criticism of Turkey, who are the perpetrators of genocide in addition to its deniers, are not a worthy target of criticism. So much for consistency...
uhmm there has already been 2 previous resolutions by congress on this topic.. How many are needed for old news?
On 1 hand the libs complain that we interfere with other countries, that we are distancing ourselves from our allies due to our meddleing ways, and yet here we are rehashing old news thats already had two resolutions passed on it condemning the alleged genocide.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:50 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Uhmmm Whats it got to do with the USA?
PRE-CISELY.

Frankly, I feel the same about the Holocaust Museum, sitting smack dab in the middle of our National Mall, with its horrifying images of Nazi cruelty competing for attnetion with the positive inspiration of our founding fathers and the hopeful messages of America which inspired (and inspire) the world.

I have not yet been satisifed with any answer to my question: What in the world did America have to do with the Holcaust, aside from ENDING IT?

That's what I asked when the funding appeals were sent out by Elie Wiesel. He never answered me.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:54 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
A waste of time. I don't care what the Ottoman Empire did. But then again, neither should Turkey, since they are NOT the Ottoman Empire.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:00 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
PRE-CISELY.

Frankly, I feel the same about the Holocaust Museum, sitting smack dab in the middle of our National Mall, with its horrifying images of Nazi cruelty competing for attnetion with the positive inspiration of our founding fathers and the hopeful messages of America which inspired (and inspire) the world.

I have not yet been satisifed with any answer to my question: What in the world did America have to do with the Holcaust, aside from ENDING IT?

That's what I asked when the funding appeals were sent out by Elie Wiesel. He never answered me.
LOL Its called the famous american sense of collective guilt. We did nothing but stand by and watch until it was well underway. So to appease our sense of guilt we build a monument.
This issue with turkey is just a democrat ploy to show that they are sensitive and it would also stand to hurt our efforts in Iraq. 2 birds with one stone. After all our troops are caught in the middle since when do the Kennedy's and such care about a minor detail like that? Oh wait they cared enough in the 1980's to meet with the USSR and discuss ways to undermine our country then also.
Useless resolutions that solve nothing. When will congress listen to those who elected them and actually act upon what we really need?

Old 10-12-2007, 09:48 PM

989 posts, read 2,761,881 times
Quote:
LOL Its called the famous American sense of collective guilt. We did nothing but stand by and watch until it was well underway. So to appease our sense of guilt we build a monument.
Umm, the USA sent back boat loads of Jews to Germany because we didn't want Jews in this country, many of which were subsequently killed. Many Americans at the time (like Henry Ford) were anti-Semites. That definitely is not the same as what the Nazis did, but it is far from nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
PRE-CISELY.

Frankly, I feel the same about the Holocaust Museum, sitting smack dab in the middle of our National Mall, with its horrifying images of Nazi cruelty competing for attention with the positive inspiration of our founding fathers and the hopeful messages of America which inspired (and inspire) the world.
The Holocaust museum was paid for by private funds, per their website...
Research | Library | Frequently Asked Questions
As required by law, all funds for planning, constructing and equipping the Museum were raised exclusively from private, tax deductible contributions

It is also one of the most popular exhibits in DC. In addition to opposing a Congressional Statement affirming the truth (Armenian Genocide) and now being anti-Holocaust museum, are you also going to be anti-free market?

Isn't that a bit Communist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies