Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 08:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceInTheCrowd View Post
Sooo...no one's gonna share their Bug Out Spot with me?
This is about prepping for disaster, not for total collapse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 08:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Add to this, just heard an update from FEMA, emergency housing is in such a critical shortage right now that they're now relocating people over 200 miles away. Is that acceptable if you have a JOB you have to be at?
The same happened when some hurricane hit Texas a few years ago.
People were relocated to Austin area schools. We even had Katrina folks relocated to Texas.

They really need better planning. Each disaster shows they have been shortsighted in their planning.
And each disaster provides data to help them plan but they still fall short. Housing seems to be a sticking point each disaster.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:19 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The same happened when some hurricane hit Texas a few years ago.
People were relocated to Austin area schools. We even had Katrina folks relocated to Texas.

They really need better planning. Each disaster shows they have been shortsighted in their planning.
And each disaster provides data to help them plan but they still fall short. Housing seems to be a sticking point each disaster.
That and power/fuel. One question I asked when this first stated was "why were there no generators pre-positioned at gas stations? They knew power would drop, did they think gravity would take care of it? Why, if fuel is obviously a critical item has there not been a requirement for stations to install backup generators?

Old 11-09-2012, 08:21 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
That and power/fuel. One question I asked when this first stated was "why were there no generators pre-positioned at gas stations? They knew power would drop, did they think gravity would take care of it? Why, if fuel is obviously a critical item has there not been a requirement for stations to install backup generators?
If you would research, it's not just a matter of no power at gas stations. There is a distribution problem and distribution/holding locations in NY/NJ were flooded out with saltwater and destroyed. Add that to no power and unpassable roads and it causes these gas issues.

Plenty of gas stations here are open with power and have no gas.

They are now delivering gas to holding locations in PA and driving it here to get around those issues.

odd/even rationing has eased the problem in NJ quite a bit and they are starting it in NYC/LI today.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:11 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,838 times
Quote:
Look at NYC. They are not back to normal. The USG tells you to keep a 3 day supply.
I think that is way too short of a time period.
The 72-hour bug-out bag is designed to get you safely from a disaster to a relief center or bug-out location.

That's why it's only three days. I'm not saying 3 days is going to bring you back to normal, but it's sufficient to weather a storm until help arrives (or you can get to help). Red Cross took two days, the national guard was there the day before. Even at Katrina, it took three days IIRC to for people to get the Superdome, and that's pretty much considered the worst response.

We're talking about surviving a disaster, not living off the land. Three days is fine for most people.

Quote:
I certainly wouldn't assume that FEMA is going to come along and give me food and water.
That is the easiest prep anyone can put together.

I'm good for a month with how I shop if you take milk out of the picture.
I only food shop every other week and have a stocked pantry that I rotate.
Like I said, this isn't about surviving for a few weeks while life returns to normal, it's about surviving a disaster until you can get aid (or to an alternate location).

You'd need special circumstance to need more than three days, as aforementioned isolated environments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
most people dont do that because they still expect uncle sugar to save the day when it is all over and done with. imagine how bad it would have been if the hurricane would have been a cat5 and 600 miles wide.

never too late to start preparing.
At Cat5+, most buildings would be torn down, which means you won't be around to eat your food.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:17 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
You had people on Wednesday looking for gas and food. That's one day after the storm.

They were more concerned with charging their phones than making sure they had enough to eat.
Let's be honest though, with 2/3 of our population overweight or obese, a lot of those people probably wouldn't be harmed by skipping a meal.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:24 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
The election does indicate to me a steady decline in the fortunes in our country, but IMHO, it wouldn't have matter which party was elected, the only difference is how rapid the decline will happen. Sandy also helped me see that its time to start preparing for a more difficult future, and that means I'm going to start some prepping. Sandy showed me how foolish it is to live with few provisions other than what I need today, figuring I can just run to the store for anything I run out of.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:26 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Everyone should have the basics to live in their house 1-2 weeks with no power/water/disaster. that lesson should have been learned from katrina.

I am from florida, and routinely lost power for days from hurricanes more powerful then sandy, just weren't in the news as much.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:38 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
This is not a statement about the election or who was re-elected. It IS a question about what we as American citizens should now expect given the disasters and their responses we've seen to date.

I've seen thread after thread of posters discussing "prepping" and the immediate responses basically calling them tin foil hat crazy people. I do have to say those "preppers" affected by Sandy may be "foil hatters" but they're most likely warm,fed and powered under those foil hats.

Now that we've seen the response to Katrina and now Sandy as well as multiple tornados does anyone think that we can depend on the government both state and federal (no matter who's in charge) to save us or even keep us fed/warm if there's a disaster?
Call me a tin foil hat person but I think everyone had better start thinking seriously about what they're going to do "if" because sure as the sun comes up in the morning they will happen again.

You can blame whomever you like, point fingers all you want this transcends ALL party lines it seems and in my opinion this latest cluster on the East Coast underscores the fact that you can NOT depend on anyone to come save you with any kind of speed or efficiency and should be a wake up call to everyone.
Don't let Napolitano know what you're doing. She's considers you guys a threat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies