Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will we go off the Fiscal Cliff on Dec. 31
Yes 33 53.23%
No 29 46.77%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 11:22 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,625,272 times

Advertisements

President Obama has just used the bully pulpit of the Presidency to apply extreme pressure on the Republican Congress. One of the first times in memory.

1) There must be revenues coupled with cuts and there absolutely has to be more revenue from the top 2% (non necessarily higher rates).

2) He is ready to sign a bill that makes permanent the current tax rates for 98% of Americans (those making under $250,000).

3) Puts the onus of any tax increases on all Americans past Dec. 31 (the Fiscal Cliff date) on the Republicans.

4) Reiterated that he ran on this platform and the issue has been decided by the elections.

Lots of pressure. How will Congress react?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 11:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,658,365 times
I saw the speech. Obama brought up more taxes, having the government pay for everyone's college educations, taxing the rich, and again taxing the rich some more.

Obama failed to propose even a single spending cut. The man is utterly clueless and thinks that taxing the hell out of anyone he defines as rich is the only way anything can be done about the economy.

He made it clear that his only compromise will sound like "my way or the highway" and there will be no spending cuts at all.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:27 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,654,949 times
That's what a bully pulpit is. Political pressure. It has worked that way for every sitting president in the history of our nation. If Lincoln hadn't used the bully pulpit, we'd still have slavery and there would be two Americas.
Last thing I want to hear from republicans is the president won't compromise. After four years of total republican obstructionism one can't turn around and snivel that the president is applying too much preasure on our thin skinned politicians. Especially with the fiscal cliff looming.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:30 AM

628 posts, read 1,315,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
President Obama has just used the bully pulpit of the Presidency to apply extreme pressure on the Republican Congress. One of the first times in memory.

1) There must be revenues coupled with cuts and there absolutely has to be more revenue from the top 2% (non necessarily higher rates).

2) He is ready to sign a bill that makes permanent the current tax rates for 98% of Americans (those making under $250,000).

3) Puts the onus of any tax increases on all Americans past Dec. 31 (the Fiscal Cliff date) on the Republicans.

4) Reiterated that he ran on this platform and the issue has been decided by the elections.

Lots of pressure. How will Congress react?
If the Republicans are smart...they will give him what he wants. Not because the revenue generated from increases on those making over 250K will even come close to solving our deficit crisis, but because Obama and the Democrats will then own it. The CBO has already said this will result in 9+% unemployment and a decrease of 0.5% in GDP. I say its time to give the left everything they want; if it results in our country being saved from this fiscal mess then kudos to them. If it doesnt, then the Repubs can do their "I told you so" and run on it next election. Sound fair?

Old 11-09-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I saw the speech. Obama brought up more taxes, having the government pay for everyone's college educations, taxing the rich, and again taxing the rich some more.

Obama failed to propose even a single spending cut. The man is utterly clueless and thinks that taxing the hell out of anyone he defines as rich is the only way anything can be done about the economy.

He made it clear that his only compromise with sound like "my way or the highway" and there will be no spending cuts at all.
What he said was that he is:

1) Knows that there has to be spending cuts and has put forward a plan to cut $4 trillion over 10 years (not nearly enough to satisfy me).

2) He is adamant that the top 2% pay more. He did not suggest how the revenues be raised, e.g. increased rates, cap on deductions, etc.

Beyond this, the dance begins. But he really applied lots of pressure on the Republicans to deal and it appears that Republicans are open to dealing.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
That's what a bully pulpit is. Political pressure. It has worked that way for every sitting president in the history of our nation. If Lincoln hadn't used the bully pulpit, we'd still have slavery and there would be two Americas.
Last thing I want to hear from republicans is the president won't compromise. After four years of total republican obstructionism one can't turn around and snivel that the president is applying too much preasure on our thin skinned politicians. Especially with the fiscal cliff looming.
Yes. that is what the bully pulpit is for. Every President leads in this way. My problem has been that Obama was pretty much non-existent over the last few years, only coming out with gay rights, immigration action right before the election. Finally he is beginning to speak to the people and establishing a position. It is about time and I am happy he is doing it.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
If the Republicans are smart...they will give him what he wants. Not because the revenue generated from increases on those making over 250K will even come close to solving our deficit crisis, but because Obama and the Democrats will then own it. The CBO has already said this will result in 9+% unemployment and a decrease of 0.5% in GDP. I say its time to give the left everything they want; if it results in our country being saved from this fiscal mess then kudos to them. If it doesnt, then the Repubs can do their "I told you so" and run on it next election. Sound fair?
On one hand it might seem good for them to just let him go on spending and spending like there's no tomorrow -- hike the national debt up another few trillion dollars.

But the Republicans also have to give their constituents something or what was the reason to vote for them? Allowing this wild spender the right to destroy this country isn't what they should do.

I think they need to put the spending cuts into place first -- most of this problem can be solved with big enough spending cuts and there is plenty that can be cut. Then get back on raising taxes -- but if and only if large cuts are made.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
I don't think the Republicans can give in so easily. Their whole brand, their pledge to Norquist, rests on no increases on tax rates for anyone. The face saving approach would be to close loopholes and or put a cap on deductions (both of these approaches I believe to be better approaches). However, I don't think this can be done before Dec. 31. That is the crux of the problem. Will they kick the can down the road again? I don't think Obama will allow it. It looks like he will veto any attempt to extend the Bush tax cuts for the upper 2%. Hence we go off the fiscal cliff.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
What he said was that he is:

1) Knows that there has to be spending cuts and has put forward a plan to cut $4 trillion over 10 years (not nearly enough to satisfy me).

2) He is adamant that the top 2% pay more. He did not suggest how the revenues be raised, e.g. increased rates, cap on deductions, etc.

Beyond this, the dance begins. But he really applied lots of pressure on the Republicans to deal and it appears that Republicans are open to dealing.
He never mentioned a single spending cut he's willing to go along with for the sake of the economy. He's had 4 years to come up with spending cuts -- and in fact in his little speech, he mentioned getting the government spending more on education.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
He never mentioned a single spending cut he's willing to go along with for the sake of the economy. He's had 4 years to come up with spending cuts -- and in fact in his little speech, he mentioned getting the government spending more on education.
There is a budget plan that outlines the cuts he is willing to make. He specifically mentioned in his speech that there has to be cuts to Medicare and Medicaid to put both programs on a more solid footing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies